U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 02:33 PM

314 posts, read 723,216 times

Advertisements

I am currently learing the korean languange and I'm planning to go over there eventually. I just wanted to know a few things.

- How is Seoul in terms of food, culture, things to do, nightlife etc?
- What are the people like? Are they culturally equal to the japanese or are there any major differences?

Things like what korean people do on the weekends etc. is exactly what I'm after. How is it to live there? What are the women like?

I also heard some stuff about their national drink, soju, that it might contain some pschycadelic chemical. Is that true?
Can anyone tell me what it's like to drink it?

Cheers

Last edited by stolpioni; 08-26-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 PM

15,484 posts, read 34,164,309 times
Korean food - lots of korean bbq - every foreigner loves this. Korean food is actually really good and very healthy. A bit spicy sometimes - kimchi is an aquired taste, and once you've acquired it, you miss it - as I do now.

Nightlife is 24 hours...and expect to dodge vomit everywhere. Nearly everyone drinks in Korea - and sometimes it seems all the time. Drinking if often listed as a 'hobby' by students.

The people are NOTHING like Japanese. Exact opposite. Koreans are loud, pushy, aggressive, etc. Pretty much exact opposite of Japanese.

Weekends - what do people do - same thing they do all the time - drink extensively...you can drink easily until 8am...and have plenty of places to go.

What is it like to live in Korea? CONVENIENT. Dont need a car, public transportation is everywhere. Almost anywhere you live, you will have dozens of internet cafes nearby, karaoke places, and 1000s of restaurants - although 99.99% of those will be Korean restaurants.

Women - friendly, and nice. Korean guys are xenophobic to the extreme though, so expect a little bit of idiocy if you are with a korean girl walking around. They arent violent though, they just make comments occassionally.

Soju...its like vodka. Its synthetic - entirely factory-made. Tastes like vodka...soju also comes in many different flavors - watermelon soju, etc. Its a common question in Korea - "How many bottles of soju can you drink?"

In general, you'll see a lot of drunk people absolutely everywhere in Korea...and drinking will be the norm. Expect to do some serious liver damage if you get into that aspect of the culture - and its very commonplace there, so easy to do.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,089 times
a great place for me. . .

[url]http://www.strenuapt[/url]

Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 PM

274 posts, read 737,790 times
If you have been to New York City then you'll feel right at home. Tons of high rise bldgs, good night life. Soju is nothing more than Korean rice wine, it is very potent for me at least but nothing in it to harm you.I'm not a drinker but their beer is good ( Hite & Cass) which I enjoyed. The food is very good especially the BBQ. I was very surprised to find that they have the same American restaurants as we do and are the same as here.

If and when you go, I hope you like long flights 14 hrs from ATL but Korean Airlines offers excellent service and the food was good too.

They have a fabulous airport in Incheon outside of Seoul. I found the people to be nice. If you go make sure to go to the War Museum, the Palace and Seoul Tower and by all means shop till you cant anymore
Oh, did I mention that Seoul is very, very crowded ? The last count I was told was 10 million and that's only in Seoul. I understand that Seoul is the most techno savy city outside of Japan.

Have a wonderful time whenever you go. Dont worry about the language, lot's of people speak passable english and yes, there is a Starbuck's.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:45 PM

314 posts, read 723,216 times
Hehe ok thanks Tiger Beer and Cobb sounds really good, makes me want to go right now!
Fun to hear that they have a totally different attitude than the japanese.
How expensive would you say it is to live there compared to any major city in the US?
You said public transport was cheap but what about food, hotel etc?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 PM

274 posts, read 737,790 times
As far as rent goes you can do a search on the net, apts in Seoul. If I remember it was comparable to LA or NY. Food, I know because I did not pay for anything as I was the guest of KIA Motors and they picked up the entire tab. You can check the currency on, XE currency convertor. I use them when I travel or just want to know. It up to the minute info.
Public transit is crowded I'm sure, and again, you can check the cost online. Go in the sping time, summer or fall as winter temps come in from Siberia and that translates into sub zero temps.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:56 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,085,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
I am currently learing the korean languange and I'm planning to go over there eventually. I just wanted to know a few things.

- How is Seoul in terms of food, culture, things to do, nightlife etc?
- What are the people like? Are they culturally equal to the japanese or are there any major differences?

Things like what korean people do on the weekends etc. is exactly what I'm after. How is it to live there? What are the women like?

I also heard some stuff about their national drink, soju, that it might contain some pschycadelic chemical. Is that true?
Can anyone tell me what it's like to drink it?

Cheers
Any Koreans hear? anyway from my experience Koreans have very strong family loyalty, extreme respect for elders and your status in society is very much determined by what sort of job you have, what school you went too, these are a really big deal in Korea.

From my experience they are not Drunks and are reserved quite people, the koreans will often tell me its the Jappanesse who are the drunk loud ones. Compared to Australia (home) however both races are reserved and quite. For the most part their is still an extreme dislike for anything japanesse in the country.

Koreans are the worlds hardest workers, weekends are short if existant at all, if you want to work their prepared for very long hours. What little time they have off will usually be spent drinking, eating, singing Kareoke or in a PC bang playing all thoes weird games. The country is also full of moutains, thoes who get outside often head to them, there are moutain trails everywhere.

Soju is toxic stuff, i dont know what it contains but its cheap and will give you a wicked hangover if you drink too much of it. The Koreans usually drink it straight, i prefer to mix it. You could try a somek (half beer and Half Soju) down a few of thoes and you could be on the floor in no time.

As for the women, well my wife was born and raised in seoul, so you could say my opinion on them is favourable. I have heard it many times they love white guys partially because they still preceive white guys as having lots of money, and partially because they just like white skin. If you work as an english teacher all the better! The white skin thing is a bit of a status symbol because koreans with whiter skin are the ones who work indoors, and are preceived to earn more money, the darker skined ones were traditionally peasents or farmers who lived outdoors. If your not white i am not sure what sort of reaction you might get. Korean girls almost always live with their parents until they get married, and she generally will not introduce you to her parents until it is confirmed you are actually getting marreid. Their are love hotels all over the place, and the DVD bangs often serve another purpose way more exciting than watching any stupid DVD.
Koreans are also huge gift givers, In my experience if you want a korean girl, by her gifts and often.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-27-2010 at 03:25 AM..

Old 08-27-2010, 03:17 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,085,404 times
Quote:
Hehe ok thanks Tiger Beer and Cobb sounds really good, makes me want to go right now!
How expensive would you say it is to live there compared to any major city in the US?
These days a standard one zone trip on the seoul metro is around $1, a KTX ticket across the country $50. Loads of coffee places in seoul, they do it well, its not cheap however about $3-$5 for a cappachino, about the same we pay hear in oz. Pizza is hard to find and very expensive, you will hardly ever need it however, good Korean food is everywhere and you will get a huge Korean meal for $4-$8. Finding a resteraunt that is not Korean, American, Japanesse or Chinesse however could be a problem.
A night in a love hotel will cost you $30-$40 per night, the large international hotels are very expensive. Their are a few but not many youth hostels which cost about $10-$20 per night for a doorm room, a private room with a shower $50 - $60. For something different you can sleep on the floor with hundreds of other koreans in a jjimjibang (korean bath house) for $10 per night. In fact if you want to see some real Korean culture you must do it. Its not for the modest however, only do it if you are prepared to strip off in front of a crowd of Korean men.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-27-2010 at 03:51 AM..

Old 08-27-2010, 11:30 AM

20 posts, read 45,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Korean food - lots of korean bbq - every foreigner loves this. Korean food is actually really good and very healthy. A bit spicy sometimes - kimchi is an aquired taste, and once you've acquired it, you miss it - as I do now.

Nightlife is 24 hours...and expect to dodge vomit everywhere. Nearly everyone drinks in Korea - and sometimes it seems all the time. Drinking if often listed as a 'hobby' by students.

The people are NOTHING like Japanese. Exact opposite. Koreans are loud, pushy, aggressive, etc. Pretty much exact opposite of Japanese.

Weekends - what do people do - same thing they do all the time - drink extensively...you can drink easily until 8am...and have plenty of places to go.

What is it like to live in Korea? CONVENIENT. Dont need a car, public transportation is everywhere. Almost anywhere you live, you will have dozens of internet cafes nearby, karaoke places, and 1000s of restaurants - although 99.99% of those will be Korean restaurants.

Women - friendly, and nice. Korean guys are xenophobic to the extreme though, so expect a little bit of idiocy if you are with a korean girl walking around. They arent violent though, they just make comments occassionally.

Soju...its like vodka. Its synthetic - entirely factory-made. Tastes like vodka...soju also comes in many different flavors - watermelon soju, etc. Its a common question in Korea - "How many bottles of soju can you drink?"

In general, you'll see a lot of drunk people absolutely everywhere in Korea...and drinking will be the norm. Expect to do some serious liver damage if you get into that aspect of the culture - and its very commonplace there, so easy to do.
Sound like you had been at many drinking places with young guys near college towns. Of course, it gets loud when guys start to talk about how tougher their military services were and how they almost blew a bomb when their girl friends left while serving in the military... etc. BTW, I thought Kansai ben speaking guys are pretty loud too even though they were sober.

Last edited by Honolulu is calling; 08-27-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 07:03 PM

15,484 posts, read 34,164,309 times
Quote:
Not that expensive. If you teach, your employer will give you an apartment rent-free. Pretty much every foreigner who is in Korea teaches english - almost.

Food is also cheap. Especially if you enjoy Korean food. The international chain restaurants like TGIF, Outback, etc. will set you back quite a bit.

Hotels...ahmm...a bit expensive. But there are yeogwans - which is a Korean hotel. A little cheaper, but not exactly cheap cheap by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia