U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:06 AM

5 posts, read 16,372 times

Advertisements

I heard about 10 Hong Kong tourist was killed when ex-cop hijack the tourist bus downtown Manila last Monday. I am flying into Manila tomorrow and now I am seriously considering to go or not. It seems the incident where tourist bus being hijacked in Philippines is getting more serious now. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 03:14 AM

125 posts, read 344,757 times
I think you should ask this question in a more appropriate place and do better research before booking a flight.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
I agree with thefunkyone.

In general though, whenever an event happens, I find that the authorities become even more watchful so as not to have a second event.

There are also things going on in Manila all the time...I usually try to get out of that city as quick as possible.

But, I dont think any regular poster is going to be able to say yes or no on this for another person. Really your decision, etc.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 11,394 times
of course Manila is safe. The hostage taking incident isn't something that normally happens in the streets of Manila. It really is an isolated incident which unfortunately ended badly... but i must say, nothing to be scared of about Manila.. In fact, in Manila, you will find that people are friendlier and more hospitable than most parts of the world! But of course, you have to take necessay precautions like avoid dark deserted areas at night... Normal vigilance that you'd practice in any other place you'd visit

Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur123 View Post
of course Manila is safe. The hostage taking incident isn't something that normally happens in the streets of Manila. It really is an isolated incident which unfortunately ended badly... but i must say, nothing to be scared of about Manila.. In fact, in Manila, you will find that people are friendlier and more hospitable than most parts of the world! But of course, you have to take necessay precautions like avoid dark deserted areas at night... Normal vigilance that you'd practice in any other place you'd visit
Hmmm....

I travel A LOT...and particularly to the Philippines...but Manila is not safe, and people who are friendly there, want something from you...almost every single time.

The rest of the Philippines is an amazing place, and the people really are friendly without any alterior intentions/motives.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,571,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hmmm....

I travel A LOT...and particularly to the Philippines...but Manila is not safe, and people who are friendly there, want something from you...almost every single time.

The rest of the Philippines is an amazing place, and the people really are friendly without any alterior intentions/motives.
Yep. My sisters in laws are from Manila and it is not safe at all. Armed security is a necessity everywhere and if you are light skinned you are a mark for kidnapping, mugging, robbery, you name it.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:14 AM

17,374 posts, read 21,223,392 times
What is safe to me when I travel? I generally ignore all U.S. Consular Reports
wherever I travel, but if it's going to be hot and humid wherever I go, I will not feel "safe" there. Heat and humidity, combined, will send me crashing to the sidewalk, which is why much of SE Asia is not on my radar screen.

Big cities are the same all over the world. Find the bus station ASAP, and hightail out of there for the safer cities in that country, where you don't have to walk around, looking over your shoulders every minute.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,472,620 times
manila isnt safe, you see hwo the police handled the situation, their tactics were horrible, a hammer to a glass window doesn't work.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 10,982 times
i go to Manila regularly,and i have never encountered any trouble,it's the same as any city in the world,try walking around metro Sydney,Australia after midnight,you'll be lucky to get home without a confrontation or a beating or worse.Leave the Philippines out of it,just look at the stats,it's MUCH more dangerous elswhere,give me Manila anytime

Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,712,157 times
Safe and the Philippines is an oxymoron.
You'll be fine though. Terrorist things really only happen in the far South.
Just don't go around shouting you're not Filipino in the nasty areas of Manila
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia