U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Yeah i suppose it is quiet unfortunate that Malacca lost almost all of its pre-colonial traces, but it might be because it wasn't that much of a major settlement before that the later colonial settlement quickly replaced it..
Yes. A lot of old Malay buildings were made of wood anyway and rotted fast in the tropical humidity or were eaten by ants, termites.etc. Little if anything remains of these old pre-colonial settlements.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,667,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Lol traffic in Bali is a breeze compared to Jakarta, but i love the Balinese cultural scene (especially the countrysides and traditional villages which is absolutely stunning and very interesting) and sometimes make me wish that parts of Java is predominantly Hindus, so that we may have more of this places out of Bali. Jakarta is more into food, luxurious big shopping malls, nightlife and Dutch colonial history, but i think Filipinos already have huge shopping malls, good nightlife and Singapore for luxury shopping so Jakarta isn't that much of an interest for Filipinos. (unless you are colonial history freak like i am)

Despite its crazy traffic a lot of Indonesians from other province who do visit Jakarta, ended up loving it, can't say the same for foreign tourist however.

2 million Indonesians travelled to Singapore and Malaysia respectively, they also contribute a lot in luxury good sales in both country, so no Indonesians (and Thais who flocks to Japan and especially Malaysians who traveled a lot to Indonesia)do have the money to travel but Philippines is just not that attractive to the neighbor's view. But i do notice that Boracay receive quiet loads of Malaysian tourist's attention.

Note that Indonesia is a country with 250 million people and a largely increasing middle class and elites, so the number of Indonesian tourist regionally have been growing rapidly, but only 47k of them decided to go to the Philippines. Well another factor that can be considered is geographical location (as Postman said), since the climate is almost similar what Phil offer is also available in Indonesia (beaches, rice terrace, volcanoes etc are abundance in Indonesia, in some cases better)

And of course Malaysia-Indonesia-Thailand have all the easiest access to budget airlines such as lion air or airasia for travels.
Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia are so close to each other with many similarities. They are like very close neighbors they are the first ones each of the people there will visit. Malaysians and Indonesians can even understand each other using their own official languages. The Philippines is just further out, sometimes overlooked for being too far to visit cheaply or too similar if one wants to explore further. Filipinos usually go to Hong Kong as the major shopping destination rather than Singapore. It is closer and cheaper to fly there and has the advantage of not having sales tax.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia are so close to each other with many similarities. They are like very close neighbors they are the first ones each of the people there will visit. Malaysians and Indonesians can even understand each other using their own official languages. The Philippines is just further out, sometimes overlooked for being too far to visit cheaply or too similar if one wants to explore further. Filipinos usually go to Hong Kong as the major shopping destination rather than Singapore. It is closer and cheaper to fly there and has the advantage of not having sales tax.
Yes, the Malay world. I see a lot of Filipinos in Singapore still, not just maids but a lot seem to visit too. There are many shopping malls like Far Eastern that are almost all Filipino. Probably the best place to try the food outside the Phils.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,477,106 times
This is Thailand vs Philippines thread.

Please Take Malaysia and Indonesia out of here

Old 04-08-2014, 10:43 AM

22,115 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Philippines don't get so many visits from other southeast asian countries so much is because it's further removed from most of the ones mentioned here and without large/different enough attractions. Philippines get a lot of other visitors from East Asia because it's closer and English is fairly handy there. There's even a number of people from East Asia who visit the Philippines to learn English as strange as that might sound.

Thailand gets its many visitors because Thailand has an incredibly unique native culture and was able to maintain that unique culture by staying independent from colonization. It was also a culture/society that had a high degree of development in comparison to many of its peers and especially compared to native cultures of the Philippines, so it was able to martial more resources into much more advanced and idiosyncratic arts, crafts, cuisine, etc. especially since the colonized countries often had their own native arts, crafts, cuisines, etc. supplanted or even actively extinguished.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:17 PM

399 posts, read 579,436 times
In Cebu I saw a lot of Koreans and some Japanese. Yes, some come to learn English. One of my wife's friends used to teach Koreans English.
I always wanted to visit Thailand. Beautiful place, but probably will never get a chance to go.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:54 PM

621 posts, read 381,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes Indonesia has nice beaches, tropical rainforests, volcanoes. Only thing the Philippines offers is a Catholic Asian country.
You really is either clueless or is always maligned by this sketchy media propaganda painting the image of the Philippines. There maybe is much similarity but still there are a lot of differences. I bet you wont see chocolate hills in Indonesia or is there any? Underground river? Catholic only(btw there are also Muslims)? What if I say Hindu and Muslim only? People keeps thinking that they are always right. Remember, there are always people at the other end of the spectrum/sphere who doesn't share same beliefs, tastes & preferences as yours...

the NZ similarity was a personal opinion, both are island nations, the geography seems similar and im not talking abt climate or so,so .

I think that no 'enough attractions' in the phils statement is a hoax.

I still wonder why theres too many excuses for this neighbors of ours to not visit Phils. When Americans and other nationalities from far,far away are flocking somehow in good number. I still think that one of the major factor is the purchasing power or the ability of its average citizen to tour an island nation beyond crossing borders of neighboring Malaysia, Thailand & SG.

And also, its only the Koreans who is very much into learning English. Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese are more into its natures endowment. Well, SEA capitals are much proximate to Phils so that's not an excuse although I see an increasing number of Malaysian tourists recently. Does that suggest that they are becoming more well-off as its East Asian counterparts?

Btw this is supposed to be Thailand vs Phils, how come Malaysia & Indonesia was dragged into the discussions?

Last edited by neMarL; 04-08-2014 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 05:09 PM

82 posts, read 202,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Philippines don't get so many visits from other southeast asian countries so much is because it's further removed from most of the ones mentioned here and without large/different enough attractions. Philippines get a lot of other visitors from East Asia because it's closer and English is fairly handy there. There's even a number of people from East Asia who visit the Philippines to learn English as strange as that might sound.

Thailand gets its many visitors because Thailand has an incredibly unique native culture and was able to maintain that unique culture by staying independent from colonization. It was also a culture/society that had a high degree of development in comparison to many of its peers and especially compared to native cultures of the Philippines, so it was able to martial more resources into much more advanced and idiosyncratic arts, crafts, cuisine, etc. especially since the colonized countries often had their own native arts, crafts, cuisines, etc. supplanted or even actively extinguished.
Tell me what's unique? It's a melting pot of other cultures (Laotian, Khmer, Chinese and Malay)

Thailand has many visitors because they promote their country way better than its neighbours.
It's also tourist friendly and the law is lenient.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 PM

621 posts, read 381,929 times
^^ exactly if only its neighbors in Indochina are capable of the gravity of promotions it has. Many would see that the same temples you see in Thailand could also be seen in Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia and even grander I suppose.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:36 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
You really is either clueless or is always maligned by this sketchy media propaganda painting the image of the Philippines. There maybe is much similarity but still there are a lot of differences. I bet you wont see chocolate hills in Indonesia or is there any? Underground river? Catholic only(btw there are also Muslims)? What if I say Hindu and Muslim only? People keeps thinking that they are always right. Remember, there are always people at the other end of the spectrum/sphere who doesn't share same beliefs, tastes & preferences as yours...

the NZ similarity was a personal opinion, both are island nations, the geography seems similar and im not talking abt climate or so,so .

I think that no 'enough attractions' in the phils statement is a hoax.

I still wonder why theres too many excuses for this neighbors of ours to not visit Phils. When Americans and other nationalities from far,far away are flocking somehow in good number. I still think that one of the major factor is the purchasing power or the ability of its average citizen to tour an island nation beyond crossing borders of neighboring Malaysia, Thailand & SG.

And also, its only the Koreans who is very much into learning English. Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese are more into its natures endowment. Well, SEA capitals are much proximate to Phils so that's not an excuse although I see an increasing number of Malaysian tourists recently. Does that suggest that they are becoming more well-off as its East Asian counterparts?

Btw this is supposed to be Thailand vs Phils, how come Malaysia & Indonesia was dragged into the discussions?
I notice Koreans appreciated our culture even if we are totally different, I saw a lot of exchange cultures online video between Korea and Philippines. Like that Korean from Foreignay who speak well in Filipino language. I guess because we also do have historical connection as we sent some Filipino troops in South Korea during their war and help built South Korea after the post war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia