U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
 
621 posts, read 381,659 times
Reputation: 145

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I notice Koreans appreciated our culture even if we are totally different, I saw a lot of exchange cultures online video between Korea and Philippines. Like that Korean from Foreignay who speak well in Filipino language. I guess because we also do have historical connection as we sent some Filipino troops in South Korea during their war and help built South Korea after the post war.
I would think that's probably because South Korea is the second most Christianized country in Asia, 2nd to Phils. Our upbringing and culture seems similar in a way that they can relate to it. So If I was a Christian Korean, aside from the English advantage, theres the beaches the natures bounty that tropical paradise offers plus bonus pa is that they like the Filipino double eyelids; so where would be my perfect destination? They seem to want crossbreeding with the Filipinos.

 
Old 04-08-2014, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
1,022 posts, read 3,144,102 times
Reputation: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
You really is either clueless or is always maligned by this sketchy media propaganda painting the image of the Philippines. There maybe is much similarity but still there are a lot of differences. I bet you wont see chocolate hills in Indonesia or is there any? Underground river? Catholic only(btw there are also Muslims)? What if I say Hindu and Muslim only? People keeps thinking that they are always right. Remember, there are always people at the other end of the spectrum/sphere who doesn't share same beliefs, tastes & preferences as yours...

the NZ similarity was a personal opinion, both are island nations, the geography seems similar and im not talking abt climate or so,so .

I think that no 'enough attractions' in the phils statement is a hoax.

I still wonder why theres too many excuses for this neighbors of ours to not visit Phils. When Americans and other nationalities from far,far away are flocking somehow in good number. I still think that one of the major factor is the purchasing power or the ability of its average citizen to tour an island nation beyond crossing borders of neighboring Malaysia, Thailand & SG.

And also, its only the Koreans who is very much into learning English. Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese are more into its natures endowment. Well, SEA capitals are much proximate to Phils so that's not an excuse although I see an increasing number of Malaysian tourists recently. Does that suggest that they are becoming more well-off as its East Asian counterparts?

Btw this is supposed to be Thailand vs Phils, how come Malaysia & Indonesia was dragged into the discussions?
They went to phils because its exotic to them and cheaper too, manila is also the main stopover place for american tourist who later will go to other places like thailand. Purchasing power of neighboring citizen are just fine and they hear more about other places but not phil, its not really a bright spot for sea neighboring country when it comes to toruism and quiet a laggards too.

I doubt the reason why more filipinos visiting more of its neighbor than the other way around is because their income is higher than the others, because you know its not.

And id say putting myanmar temples as similar to those in thailand is just plain ignorant.

Last edited by Goshio22; 04-08-2014 at 06:26 PM..
 
Old 04-08-2014, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Philippines don't get so many visits from other southeast asian countries so much is because it's further removed from most of the ones mentioned here and without large/different enough attractions. Philippines get a lot of other visitors from East Asia because it's closer and English is fairly handy there. There's even a number of people from East Asia who visit the Philippines to learn English as strange as that might sound.

Thailand gets its many visitors because Thailand has an incredibly unique native culture and was able to maintain that unique culture by staying independent from colonization. It was also a culture/society that had a high degree of development in comparison to many of its peers and especially compared to native cultures of the Philippines, so it was able to martial more resources into much more advanced and idiosyncratic arts, crafts, cuisine, etc. especially since the colonized countries often had their own native arts, crafts, cuisines, etc. supplanted or even actively extinguished.
Well Thailand's touristy areas get a ton of East Asian tourists too, Chinese are now by the biggest group of tourists who visit with over 4 million every year.

Well, the Khmer might disagree with that, they claim Thailand stole most of their culture from them lol...I'd say it did take a lot from the Khmer, and Thailand, Cambodia, and to a lesser extent Laos and Burma have a similar culture, although yeah Thailand's culture is more exotic and typical of SEA than the Philippines. Of course Thailand was never colonised but like Japan it made some effort to westernise to an extent while keeping it's culture and traditions.
 
Old 04-08-2014, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
You really is either clueless or is always maligned by this sketchy media propaganda painting the image of the Philippines. There maybe is much similarity but still there are a lot of differences. I bet you wont see chocolate hills in Indonesia or is there any? Underground river? Catholic only(btw there are also Muslims)? What if I say Hindu and Muslim only? People keeps thinking that they are always right. Remember, there are always people at the other end of the spectrum/sphere who doesn't share same beliefs, tastes & preferences as yours...

the NZ similarity was a personal opinion, both are island nations, the geography seems similar and im not talking abt climate or so,so .

I think that no 'enough attractions' in the phils statement is a hoax.

I still wonder why theres too many excuses for this neighbors of ours to not visit Phils. When Americans and other nationalities from far,far away are flocking somehow in good number. I still think that one of the major factor is the purchasing power or the ability of its average citizen to tour an island nation beyond crossing borders of neighboring Malaysia, Thailand & SG.

And also, its only the Koreans who is very much into learning English. Japanese, Taiwanese, Chinese are more into its natures endowment. Well, SEA capitals are much proximate to Phils so that's not an excuse although I see an increasing number of Malaysian tourists recently. Does that suggest that they are becoming more well-off as its East Asian counterparts?

Btw this is supposed to be Thailand vs Phils, how come Malaysia & Indonesia was dragged into the discussions?
You say NZ is more like the Philippines than Indonesia is? Have you even been to NZ? lol...that's the strangest thing I've heard. NZ's closest parallel in Asia would be Japan.

Yes in general terms you can find what you can in the Philippines in Indonesia and Malaysia.

World Tourism rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ten countries that deserve more tourists - Telegraph

Not saying it doesn't have worthwhile things to see, but the Philippines is one of the less visited countries in Asia. Manila - well, self-explanatory. Other than that, it has nice beaches and stuff but that's not unique to the PI.
 
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
^^ exactly if only its neighbors in Indochina are capable of the gravity of promotions it has. Many would see that the same temples you see in Thailand could also be seen in Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia and even grander I suppose.
Cambodia and Laos are getting more popular.

Still, you forget that most tourists to Thailand do not come principally to see temples.etc, even if that's an attraction.

They flock to Bangkok with it's shopping, it's food, to beach resorts, and of course there's sex tourism...for most, the cultural side is incidental.
 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 PM
 
621 posts, read 381,659 times
Reputation: 145
OK believe what you want to believe. Keep going I already emphasized some points. I don't want to overemphasize it so go see for yourself!
 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
I might visit Cebu or Boracay, I'm semi-interested in Manila more to see how bad it is .
 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,270,803 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I might visit Cebu or Boracay, I'm semi-interested in Manila more to see how bad it is .
Postman is just asking for keyboard wars.....
 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Postman is just asking for keyboard wars.....
 
Old 04-08-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Woodbridge, VA
82 posts, read 201,999 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Cambodia and Laos are getting more popular.

Still, you forget that most tourists to Thailand do not come principally to see temples.etc, even if that's an attraction.

They flock to Bangkok with it's shopping, it's food, to beach resorts, and of course there's sex tourism...for most, the cultural side is incidental.
Laos is actually quite boring for tourists IMO
it doesn't have a lot to offer, other than the big jars they have with clueless history attached.
their culture can also be seen in chiangmai, thailand (they are the same people)
Only entertainment is tubing, but hey you can do that anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top