U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 10:20 PM

314 posts, read 764,336 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Los Angeles and hate it more everyday that goes by.
I am planning on working for a while and save up around $10,000 and go to any of these countries to live for about 6 months or how long the money will last. Which is the cheapest of the countries? I want to live in a big city, so in Thailand either Bangkok or Chiang Mai, in Cambodia Phnom Phen, Vietnam probably Ho Chi Minh City. I don't know about Laos.
In China I reckon Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing are getting expensive, so I was thinking about Guangzhou or Wuhan.

So now to my questions:

- Which city is the cheapest of the ones mentioned?
- Which city is most fun? I'm talking nightclub scene and things to do in general.

If you have any first hand experience with any of these cities, or have any other recommendations that might be interesting, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 11:59 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,454,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
I am planning on working for a while and save up around $10,000 and go to any of these countries to live for about 6 months or how long the money will last. Which is the cheapest of the countries? I want to live in a big city, so in Thailand either Bangkok or Chiang Mai, in Cambodia Phnom Phen, Vietnam probably Ho Chi Minh City. I don't know about Laos.
In China I reckon Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing are getting expensive, so I was thinking about Guangzhou or Wuhan.

So now to my questions:

- Which city is most fun? I'm talking nightclub scene and things to do in general.

If you have any first hand experience with any of these cities, or have any other recommendations that might be interesting, please let me know.
I have being to all the cities mentioned with the exception of Wuhan. My question is this, why stay in one location for 6 months? do you have a special reason for this? None of those countries will let you stay for 6 months on an ordinary tourist visa (or thats the case for me anyway), so unless you get a special extended visa you will have to get out of the country your in anyway.

Personally unless you have a special interest or intend to work or study in one of the cities, i would start in bankgkok, and go anti clockwise from their through cambodia, vietnam, up to china via Hanoi, spend some time in china, enter laos via china, and then go to chang mai and eventually back to bangkok. Its not difficult, and you will finds loads of people doing the same thing.

Vietnam is the cheapest country in SE Asia in my opinon and Hanoi the Cheapest city although every one has a different experience, if i had to spend 6 months in one city I would choose Chang Mai. However it sounds like you would be better suited to Bangkok, it and Saigon are the only really large cities in the area, excluding the chinesse cities, which i would exclude for the fact they are really very boring and no where near as cheap.

Phon Phem and chang mai would be like little country towns to you, both have Metro populations approching just 1 million.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-21-2010 at 12:43 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 01:58 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post

So now to my questions:

Well, you could stay longer if you like...and teach english.

But if you have a budget....I would 100% SKIP China altogether. THere is one part, Yunnan Province which is cool and for budget travel. But the large cities, you will spend significantly more money there.

Plus, as a person who has taught english in Asia for many years. Generally speaking, every foreigner who is in northeast asia China (especially Korea & China) dreams of his next 'Thailand' vacation.

If you are looking for 'nightclubs' or things to do at night. It is everywhere throughout Asia....but generally, much more interesting in southeast asia than in china, etc. However, that being said, anyone who lives in North America or Europe will always find China to be much more interesting than their home countries - daytime and moreso at night. It's just that once a person experiences southeast asia, than China doesn't seem quite as 'cool' or interesting...at least not in a fun interesting vacation kind of way. If you said you were interested in China though, then of course it would be great because it is is China.

Also, if you want to live in a big city, you can scratch LAOS off the list. Vientienne is their largest city, and it is very small and very rural in feel. Great place to take it easy and get away from cities, but a lousy place to go for a city feel.

Phnom Pehn, Saigon and Bangkok are all great, and reasonably-priced, especially compared to the Chinese cities you mentioned - which aren't quite as much fun and more expensive.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:33 AM

Allright thanks for your inputs.
I will probably not stay in one city for 6 months, I do plan on going to all or at least some of them.
The question is just were to start, you said Bangkok and that's what I also had in mind.
So to my understanding Bangkok or Saigon (Ho Chi Minh) is probably what I'm looking for. Could you compare them for me?
Are they basicly all the same or do they have some major differences?
Say if I start out in Bangkok and rent an apartment for a month or two on the pretty small budget I have, it would be a shame if I then go to Saigon and see that it's much better and cheaper city, know what I'm saying?

I'm also planning on going to the Philippines and relax a little (Boracay). Is it worth it or are there similar or better options in Indochina (Since I will already be there)?.

Japan is also on my list but I will only go there for a week or less because of their high cost of living.

Last edited by stolpioni; 10-21-2010 at 02:44 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 05:00 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Bangkok is the epicenter for all things Southeast Asia. So its the best place to start as well.

Comparison. Bangkok is significantly more international on almost every level. You'll see all kinds of people from all over the world in Bangkok in large, large numbers. The tourism infrastructure is absolutely everywhere. The nightlife is world renown on every level. Basically anything and everything that you can imagine or dream of exists in Bangkok, and is plentiful.

Saigon. Beautiful French architecture everywhere. The theme of Saigon is the buzz of motorcycles, mopeds, scooters, etc. They buzz and fill all the streets day and night all the time. Amazing energy in Saigon as well.

WHat most people do in Southeast Asia, is just start 'backpacking' around. If you are just traveling, I wouldn't bother with renting a hotel. Hotels are cheap and plentiful, you could just drift around the region for six months, which is what many, many people do. It's the norm. You'll be in BKK, and on an urge, decide to go to Phnom Pehn, and you'll be with a few 100 people doing the exact same thing on that day. Get another hotel, and hangout until you're tired of it again.

BKK (Bangkok's initials) has many cheap tickets to absolutely everywhere. There are also budget airline companies in the region like AirAsia, JetStar, etc. You can find flights for dirt cheap. You can also go overland to Cambodia and Vietnam - although the roads are horrible in Cambodia.

Philippines. Boracay is a beautiful beach - I've been there many times. Lots of beautiful beaches in the Philippines. But there are also many beautiful beaches in Thailand, Vietnam, and one popular one Cambodia as well - a lot of Cambodia is difficult to travel. Boracay. Ahmm...is it worth it? Sure, but there are plenty of beaches in 'Indochina' as well and Thailand and such as well.

Japan. I live in Japan, but I would probably skip it. The amount of money you spend here in a week, would easily last a month somewhere else - I mean, particularly that somewhere else being southeast asia.

Japan is interesting. But, with budgetary concerns, I feel like why bother. Especially if you have finite money available, and no job waiting for you when you go back home.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 AM

Allright, once again thank you.
I have it all pretty clear now, and after doing some more reading it seems to me that Cambodia is the place for me with their liberal laws and all that comes with it. I will start in Bangkok though, and work myself through Vietnam, then Cambodia and Laos.

By the way, do you know how much a motorbike or a cheap car costs in Vietnam/Cambodia?
From what I hear motorbike is the way to go.

Cheers

Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 778,189 times
I went to all of these countries...I was studying in Beijing for about a year and did my entire summer break in Southeast Asia.
I flew into Bangkok from Beijing (I hated Bangkok with a passion)
I took trains and buses the rest of the way...Cambodia had the nicest people I've met and smaller towns in Thailand as well, but I didn't feel that hospitality so much in Vietnam...I was only in Laos for a couple of days.

Beijing is still cheap to our standards...I was renting a fully furnished apt a beautiful one at that on the 24th floor of a highrise with another American guy and my half of the rent was $350 utilities were next to nothing and I ate for about $10 a day going out. I made it a habit to hit up street food as much as possible. I lived in the university area of town/koreatown in Beijing there were plenty of college bars where I would drink all night for $5 but even at the nicer bars such as the ones @ Gongrentiyuchuang West clubbing and getting the VIP treatment is cheappp...

If you have no experience living in a poorer country and havent wised up to scams etc...Bangkok is not for you...people try to hustle you every chance they get...The true thai hospitality shined in small towns. Phnom Penh was cool I enjoyed visiting, Ho Chi Minh city is crazy and seeing families of 4 on a scooter is a sight to see but I couldn't see myself living there like I was in China. Hanoi was very beautiful but kind of dull.

Bangkok has its excesses but large Chinese cities do as well..they very firmly believe in teh saying work hard and play hard.
While I had a ton of fun in Southeast Asia especially Thailand, I spent way more in Thailand vs China.

my nightlife pics:
http://www.myspace.com/aperez69/phot...s/album/489534

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGIln...eature=related
and as u see from this club, the chinese go over the top with neon, screens, LED's and other things in their clubs lol...I used to go to this place as well as Vics, Mix, Pepper, Bloc 8, Bling (the name sux lol), China Doll, Kokomo, Banana, Propaganda, Suzy Wong's, etc etc..there are so many and many large over the top clubs with 10+ bars and multiple dancefloors.
I didn't see clubs as big in SE Asia and getting solicited by the prostitutes gets kind of annoying after a while.
lol good luck...and watch out for Kathoeys!

Last edited by desperad0stl; 10-28-2010 at 03:41 AM..

Old 10-28-2010, 03:13 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 778,189 times
and yes motorbikes are great...I rented one for about 2 weeks on ko Samui in thailand...was fun. Thai Honda makes quality bikes but the chinese ones are super cheap...maybe 1K for a 250cc chinese scooter.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:39 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,320,333 times
I'll be in Thailand next year.
I've heard of immigrants saying Arkansas (where I live) reminds them of Laos. I went to the hardware store with a Laotion guy a while back and he didn't really make a comparison but he said something about loving the hills in Arkansas.

I wouldn't call $1,000 for a chinese 250 super cheap, you can get them almost that cheap here. 250cc Mopeds, 250cc Moped ,250cc Gas Scooters, 250cc Gas Scooter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or