U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 AM

61 posts, read 95,591 times

Advertisements

That's right.he looks like a beginer.I have some friends fluent in Marderine
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 PM

32,060 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavludo View Post
This may be a shot in the dark...

Hi everybody,

I'd like to learn Chinese, I've always been good at learning languages, in speak 3 and currently learning Italian. My question is: what way would it be better to start learning Chinese? I am planning to buy Rosetta Stone but so far with my experience moving to the country for a couple of months has been greatly beneficial.

I have traveled to Europe and that's how I learned French but never to Asia, that's why I am hesitant moving there and about how much would it cost me to live in let's say Shanghai or Beijing for 3 or 4 months and enroll in a school. Also, I was looking into enrolling for a summer in Middlebury College, I hear they have a great language program. It costs 9K dlls for two months including room and food, what would it be more cost efficient and helpful?

Ok let's see your insight on this matter,

Thanks!
I don't think Shanghai is a good option for you as it is very expensive and being that it is very international one can manage there with min. Chinese (as you find many English speakers there). I would think that Beijing or another part of China would be a better option so that you could immerse yourself completely in learning Chinese.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:10 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
This guy learned at 19yrs old....speaks Cantonese and Mandarin... If you have the dedication and time, it can be done.

American Speaking Fluent Chinese

Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM
JL

Since this thread is close enough, i didn't want to start another thread...since some posters are in China...does anyone know which city(in China) this statue is located in?

Old 08-18-2012, 03:54 AM

29 posts, read 45,249 times
i speak Chinese,i want to find somebody who speaks Spanish, to exchange the class....

Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 895 times
Hi, I'm interested in Chinese and I begin to learn it.
I use a free e-book and I find it is amazingly great.
I highly recommend this to you and hope you like it.
Have fun in learning Chinese!
http://www.huayuschool.com/experienceBook/en/ebook.htm

Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,231 times
When you read you begin with A-B-C. Chinese A-B-C is the Chinese characters, but they are so many! But the basics are limited and interesting, they are pictograms(象形字), example:
http://forum.shijixuexi.com/screensh.../%E6%97%A5.jpg
http://forum.shijixuexi.com/screensh.../%E6%9C%88.jpg
http://forum.shijixuexi.com/screensh.../%E5%B1%B1.jpg
http://forum.shijixuexi.com/screensh.../%E5%B7%9D.jpg
etc

Old 08-23-2013, 05:09 PM
JL

This American gal teaches the Chinese most common slang phrases that Americans use. She learned Chinese at 19yrs old and is 26 now. She has a huge following in China. Very useful information.

OMG!

Last edited by JL; 08-23-2013 at 05:22 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 02:46 PM

268 posts, read 324,137 times
Bwah, that girl is beyond annoying. Anyway, if you're learning Chinese I recommend you don't go to Taipei, Beijing or Shanghai. Go to a place where there are less foreigners, a 2nd or 3rd tier city ideally. And don't go to a university where there are 30 students in a class (like BLCU), regardless of how good the school claims to be. It's a trap!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 PM

524 posts, read 589,837 times
This is kind of complicated without knowing the truth behind the political lies.
Basically, the writing is almost same after the first emporer with diffirent style of variation. Than CP and KMD decided to simplified the writing to promote speed of science and created the simplified version of HanZi --> current CHinese.
The sound will be different areas by areas and people by people.
For example, I can write Hanzi,Kanji or hanja and English. People who can read them and can understand them, but speak in different languages.
I can speak HaKa,HyFoon,MinNam,Mandarin and English. If you can not understand the tone, you do not understand it.
They are all languages with writing letters with different tones.
EXCEPT, HaKa,HyFoon,MinNam,Mandarin share the same writing and one usually can guess the meaning of the writing. Chinese use another simplified Chinese letters. I have less than 50% understanding rate. Japanes and Korean also share Hanzi. I have more than 50% chance to understand them.

Languages are tools used by people. Speak/write more languages do not make my life better or worse. It is just like konwing how to use chopsticks does not change your life better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or