U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 04:16 AM

314 posts, read 620,728 times

Advertisements

How is it possible?
Are you crossing the border from China? I guess it's not possible to cross it from South Korea, am I right?
Any tip on how to get there would be appreciated.
I see there are companies selling group tours which are pretty expensive, what I'm wondering about is how to get there
by your own.

When I come to think about it, if you know any group tours that cost below 1000 euros feel free to let me know!

What I'm basicly wondering about is the best route to take, and when I leave NK, can I take the train from Pyongyang to Seoul?

Last edited by stolpioni; 10-24-2010 at 04:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM

9,809 posts, read 16,944,686 times
There is no train from Pyongyang to Seoul.

The only way into North Korea as a tourist is as part of a group tour which is under constant control from minders. There is only one way in, which is by plane from Beijing. About the only thing you see on these tours is useless propaganda.

Google "north korea travelogue" or trip report and you should come across people out there that have detailed their experiences.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:29 PM

3,024 posts, read 4,228,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
There is no train from Pyongyang to Seoul.

The only way into North Korea as a tourist is as part of a group tour which is under constant control from minders. There is only one way in, which is by plane from Beijing. About the only thing you see on these tours is useless propaganda.

Google "north korea travelogue" or trip report and you should come across people out there that have detailed their experiences.
Technically their is a train, the line has being built all the way (at least thats what they tell you on the DMZ tour). The catch is their are no trains running on it, so Waneroo is correct.

You should go to the JSA from the south as a day trip from Seoul if your their , to get a picture of what a whole week in the North might be like. Wear this, dont look at that, constant millitary survailance, take phots only when told, and only at the object you have being told to take a photo of etc. A whole week of that would drive me nuts i think. Also the bugged rooms, i read a story once of some american being arrested in North Korea for commenting the king was looking a little fat.

Also be aware that the restrictions on US citizens (if you are one) in North Korea may be different from other nationalities. My understanding is they basiclly have two differnt tours, one for US citizens and one for the rest.Things such as the necessity to fly to Pyong Yang may not necessary if you are not a US national, you can instead take a train and cross the border with China, do your own reserach.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-24-2010 at 07:14 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 PM

314 posts, read 620,728 times
Yea. Just watched a documentary called "Friends of Kim", you can download it at the piratebay.
Made me sick, just wanna go there and **** with them and their insane minds.
No, I think I'm gonna skip it. Almost all of the people in the group were weak, brainwashed little freaks that supported everything that DPRK stands for. **** that, and the tour guide was a spanish recreation of Stalin or Hitler who broke into one of the american travellers room and stole all of his videotapes, broke his computer etc.
Recommend everyone to watch that film.

Cheers

Old 10-25-2010, 06:33 PM

791 posts, read 2,123,561 times
One statistic tells it all: the average height of northerners is FIVE INCHES (or 24 centimeters) shorter than southerners -- because of severe nutritional deficiencies -- most of their very limited supply of food goes to their military and elite, leaving the rest of their county to starve.

"People magazine", I think it was, this year told about a young American woman who was on a tour of the DMZ - 38th parallel boundary area. She playfully stepped north over the boundary line a short distance, just for fun, and was snatched up and arrested and thrown in a northern jail for many months, terrified. Some prominent American celebrity or diplomat (I forget who) finally went there and get the authorities to release her.

On a landsat aerial photo taken at night, the north appears as a huge, totally unlit black area, surrounded by brightly lit-up south, and the not-quite-as brightly-lit up China. Just amazing. Well, at least the north's "global energy footprint" is low - but at a terrible human cost.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 PM

5,103 posts, read 10,556,880 times
Default Practice

You must know the proper etiquette. Before your trip, constantly practice saying "Thank you Dear Leader", in the right tone, and in the right tempo, for anything, especially toilet paper. Or else!

Old 11-25-2010, 03:46 PM

688 posts, read 1,255,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
One statistic tells it all: the average height of northerners is FIVE INCHES (or 24 centimeters) shorter than southerners -- because of severe nutritional deficiencies -- most of their very limited supply of food goes to their military and elite, leaving the rest of their county to starve.

"People magazine", I think it was, this year told about a young American woman who was on a tour of the DMZ - 38th parallel boundary area. She playfully stepped north over the boundary line a short distance, just for fun, and was snatched up and arrested and thrown in a northern jail for many months, terrified. Some prominent American celebrity or diplomat (I forget who) finally went there and get the authorities to release her.

On a landsat aerial photo taken at night, the north appears as a huge, totally unlit black area, surrounded by brightly lit-up south, and the not-quite-as brightly-lit up China. Just amazing. Well, at least the north's "global energy footprint" is low - but at a terrible human cost.
Real bad idea. One step over the DMZ and its giving the North's border guards to open fire. Back to the OP, there is a train that goes from China to Pyongyang, there was a fascinating website about a westerner who took a train from Moscow to Pyongyang and made it through without a great deal of scrutiny. I'll try to find the link....pretty cool story with some amazing pics of the hermit kingdom.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:48 PM

688 posts, read 1,255,427 times
Too lazy for editing, here's the link http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/
Actually, the trip was from Austria to NK, pretty fascinating read.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:03 AM

287 posts, read 806,176 times
Here are a couple other good blogs about visiting North Korea.

DPRK 2005

North Korea | Blogjam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia