U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 PM

752 posts, read 621,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Which Asian countries you've seen have interesting sights that we would want to see? Not the Great wall or large monuments,but some place where other people don't know about
Korea is one of my fave places in Asia, and often not given proper credit for what it has to offer.

I'd recommend Ch'iaksan National Park or Cheju Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 AM

66,529 posts, read 16,388,546 times
I know that Korea is really beautiful.This is one country that I haven't been to. Thanks for the input

Old 07-14-2007, 04:47 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,372,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Korea is one of my fave places in Asia, and often not given proper credit for what it has to offer.

I'd recommend Ch'iaksan National Park or Cheju Island.
I spent two years in the "Land of the Morning Calm" and LOVED it. Wish I'd seen more of Cheju-Do besides the airport (hard to go sightseeing in fatigues and riding in an Army helicopter...) I'll always remember the hillside above Chin Hae just COVERED with beautiful flowers as we drove down into the city. The restored area of Kyeong Ju was really interesting, too. Even Kwang Ju and Kunsan had their high points!

Old 08-02-2007, 11:57 AM

59 posts, read 210,239 times
Default answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Which Asian countries you've seen have interesting sights that we would want to see? Not the Great wall or large monuments,but some place where other people don't know about
If we are just talking about places then I would mention:

Sailing (yep, sailing) into either Hong Kong Harbour or Pearl Harbour.

You sail into Hong Kong amidst rock filled islands thinking, big deal. And suddenly the wide panorama of Hong Kong fills your eyes, and you stare in amazement at the density of high rise buildings in such a small locale. You take the Hong Kong Star Ferry from Hong Kong side to Kowloon side, and back. Truly amazing experience.

You sail into Pearl Harbour and the history of the place hit's you like a "ton of bricks". And that's before you anything else, after all that you walk around saying to yourself, wow what a beautiful island.

To qualify the opinion, this was back in the late 60's, early 70's.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:17 PM

66,529 posts, read 16,388,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
If we are just talking about places then I would mention:

Sailing (yep, sailing) into either Hong Kong Harbour or Pearl Harbour.

You sail into Hong Kong amidst rock filled islands thinking, big deal. And suddenly the wide panorama of Hong Kong fills your eyes, and you stare in amazement at the density of high rise buildings in such a small locale. You take the Hong Kong Star Ferry from Hong Kong side to Kowloon side, and back. Truly amazing experience.

You sail into Pearl Harbour and the history of the place hit's you like a "ton of bricks". And that's before you anything else, after all that you walk around saying to yourself, wow what a beautiful island.

To qualify the opinion, this was back in the late 60's, early 70's.
That's cute,sounds like a dream

Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 AM

985 posts, read 3,266,251 times
Thumbs up Manado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLovIzzy View Post
I've been to Manado, on Northern Sulawesi, and it never ceased to impress me there.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 AM

339 posts, read 1,076,764 times
Hoi An in Vietnam - granted it's a World Heritage listed town so people probably have heard of it. It's gorgeous.

Also Mui Ne - most people go to Nha Trang for beach resorts but Mui Ne is so laid back and has these huge sand dunes so you feel like you are in the middle of a desert.http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v107/200/122/549611105/n549611105_176775_4016.jpg (broken link)

Some places I haven't been to but sound fascinating:
*Luang Prabang in Laos. Also a world heritage listed town.
*Plain of Jars, Laos. Now that's a weird place.
*Komodo, Indonesia. Those dragons scare the cr*p out of me!
*Rongbuk monastery in Nepal - highest in the world with views of Everest.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-30-2008 at 08:42 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM

48 posts, read 114,386 times
Default Thailand.... Land of Smiles

I go to Thailand every two years... It is very enchanting...Here are some interesting places that tourists go, and some that you may not have heard of.

The Grand Palace which is the home of Wat Phra Keow, AKA the "Emerald Buddha" the most sacred place in Thailand.

Wat Pho home of the "Reclining Buddha" which is a gold buddha a couple hundred feet long. Very beautiful.

Both of the above are in Bangkok... Bangkok has the Chao Phraya River...They have tourist boats on the river that show you the sights and take you everywhere of interest. You can also travel the river like we do; The Chao Phraya River Express boat. This is like a water-borne taxi that runs from dock to dock. It is how the locals travel.. You can get off at virtually any of the stops and be somewhere near an open market, a tourist site or just an interesting place to walk.

Ayutthaya Historical Park. The ruins are from the ancient capitol when Thailand was called Siam...

Kham Phaeng Phet and Sukkhothai Historical Parks..Much lesser-known towns in the middle of the country. The ruins are beautiful.. I love them... If you go to Sukkhothai on the first full moon in November you can participate in the very popular Loi Krathong festival.. Loi Krathong is celebrated throughout the country, but it started in Sukhothai.

Klong Lang waterfall ( I believe it is also a national park), near Kham Phaeng Phet, is beautiful... It is a local swimming hole... When I went there with my wife, who is Thai, I was the only foreigner there... Beautiful waterfall that you can actually swim under and around.

Wat Doi Suthep is a famous temple in the northern city of Chaing Mai.. It is three hundred steps to the top and the stairs are bordered by a dragon going the entire length. The view of the city from the top is tremendous.

Also near Chiang Mai are several elephant training camps..They put on excellent shows, are inexpensive and offer elephant trekking in the jungle.

You can take a long-tailed boat ride in the northern city of Chiang Rai (different than Chiang Mai) to go elephant riding in the Kok River. They take you to a small village for the elephant ride and we were the only foreigners there... It was fantastic.

In the northern part of the country you can also make trips into the hill tribes. We went to visit the tribes in southern Burma (Myanmar) but many are available in Thailand too. Definitely a high-point of our latest trip.

The south of Thailand has many beautiful and well-known touristy beach areas...One that is not as touristy is Hua-Hin...It is developed and has all the amenities but the fresh jumbo shrimp is to-die-for.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,027,163 times
But that's just it nowadays. There is nowhere in the world that people haven't heard about. There's a very active breed of "trophy travelers" who have scoped out all the rare unusual sights and have visited them already. Ahead of us, beat us to the punch. One upped us all.
That being said, I heard Laos is real interesting.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:16 PM

255 posts, read 1,102,311 times
I lived in the province of Indonesia called Irian Jaya, now Papua. The capital, Jayapura is probably one of the less frequently visited places in the world. It's hard to get to for a start. But the town is situated right on Humboldt Bay and we used to frequent a restaurant that was located right on the waterfront. It is a very picturesque place. The tourists that came through when I lived there and I suspect today, are young folks trekking the world. Many of them make it up to the highlands town of Wamena where they seem to take great pleasure in visiting mummified remains of the local people.

I know you said no monuments but there is a very interesting monument that is accessed by a very off-putting road. It was erected to General Douglas Macarthur after the War. That part of the world was very involved in World War ll and lots of war wrecks and relics can be found all over the island.

There is also another very interesting monument in the Philippines on the island of Luzon to General Tomoyuko Yama****a who was in charge of the Japanese forces there during the War. The surrender papers were signed in the local grade school. It is accessed through the small town of Kiangan. It's amazing that such an important monument could be so overlooked. Million dollar Hill is nearby - where US air forces bombed the Japanese hideouts. When we lived there the road was horrible, the monument surrounds weren't in very good repair and it seemed a shame given the importance of it all.

P.S. The General's name was deleted but you can find details about him and his leadership in the Philippines during the War on Wikipedia and other websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or