Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 986 times

Advertisements

Here is what I know about Qatar (Since I'm from one of the gulf states)

1- Super tiny I don't know how they are gonna handle the masses of people when they start pouring into that little semi-island country! which makes me believe that they actually bribed their way into the world-cup thing!
2- They don't REALLY have bars or similar places to hang out except for tons of coffee shops and malls and places where you can smoke Shisha. As for alcohol, they have some liquor stores and clubs but almost 100% of them are inside hotels.
3- People are obsessed with buy "stuff" in that region in general. It's not surprising to see a new extravagant mall opening every year.
4- Within approx. 1 hour (taken into account the congestion) driving you can be in Bahrain which is a neighboring country full of bars and places for drinking. Of course this is only when they open the causeway that links bahrain to qatar in 2013

Last edited by sooner or late; 12-11-2010 at 12:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,533 times
please check the arrangements in Qatar for Asian cup 2011 ..... and BTW see the simple celebration at the start of champion

Old 01-16-2011, 07:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laith alkilanee View Post
hi everybody
i'm live in jordan and it is next to qatar ...
That's funny---when I lived in Jordan, it was way over on the other side of the Arabian Peninsula. It took two days to drive there.

One thing I know about Qatar is that Donald Rumsfeld told us we need to prnounce it "gutter", like he herd some diplomat pronounce in Arabic, and of course the lapdog news media immediately started saying it the way Rumsfeld told them to. But he didn't say anything about pronouncing Jordan "al-oor-doon".

Old 01-17-2011, 12:53 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's funny---when I lived in Jordan, it was way over on the other side of the Arabian Peninsula. It took two days to drive there.

One thing I know about Qatar is that Donald Rumsfeld told us we need to prnounce it "gutter", like he herd some diplomat pronounce in Arabic, and of course the lapdog news media immediately started saying it the way Rumsfeld told them to. But he didn't say anything about pronouncing Jordan "al-oor-doon".
"Cutter" is the way it is pronounced.

It's actually a pretty neat place. It's clean and serves as an R & R place for expats from the West who live in the general location.

Don't look for bars on the streets. It's an Islamic country but it has a very forward-thinking youngish Emir. But a bar on the street would be stretching it. There will be liquor in the nicer hotels and it will be the real stuff.

Needless to say it is also a very rich country. The oil deposits are huge. I have several American friends who live and work there. Most are involved in oil production. Most Arab States are crazy about soccer. They've been crazy about it for decades....long before we "discovered" it in the US. Qatar will have all the hotels, restaurants and soccer fields that are needed for the World Cup and the country will be nice to the folks who come to see the games.

Qatar has huge malls. One of them has a ski slope in it. A big ski slope. They fly in the snow and ice for it. Shopping is good but what you see in the stores are the real thing and they are expensive.

The beaches are nice and there are a lot of water activities available.

I have no problem with the WC being in Qatar. The country will roll out the red carpet and everyone will have a nice time.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:01 AM

896 posts, read 268,332 times
Rumor has it FIFA/"Cutter" is looking at moving the 2022 WC to the winter season due to heat related issues.

Can wait to see how the Euro Club Teams react to this news.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 AM

657 posts, read 697,286 times
Will women without hijab be allowed in the stadiums?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Will women without hijab be allowed in the stadiums?
I'm sure they will be. There are women walking on the streets without hijab. Plus, women can legally drive in Qatar. Qatar is actually quite modern and a tourist "mecca" (so to speak). Just don't wander into Saudi...not that anyone could. And don't break any laws because Qatar operates under Sharia Law in certain circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia