U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 05-26-2009, 03:58 PM

895 posts, read 1,413,198 times
Just for comparison

"City" alone
Tokyo
-Area: 2,187.08 (621.81) kmē
-Population: 12.8 million
-Density: 5,847 /kmē

NYC
- area: 1,214.4 km2 (this stat is for city, it lists many stats idk which one i should use)
- Population: 8.2 million
- Density: 10,482/km2

Metro areas
Tokyo
- Area: 13,754 km2
- Population: 34.4 million
- Density: 2,516/km2

NYC
- Area: 17,405 kmē
- Population: 18.8 million
- Density: 1,077/kmē

Unread 05-26-2009, 04:04 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,000,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
If it goes above the ground i dont think its called subway anymore. Unless you mean its an extention of the subway system. In japan theres a subway and above ground rail network that are not connected (they share some stations though so you can change).
Semantically, you are correct. If it goes above ground, it's not a subway anymore. Instead some call it the "El", short for elevated. But since it's still part of the connected route and/or because most don't know the slang, the majority just call it the subway.

Unread 05-26-2009, 04:15 PM

Interesting. In NYC the primary mode of transportation is the subway, in tokyo i think its the "railway" trains though im not sure.. When i was in tokyo i only used the subway once or twice im not from tokyo so i cant comment more.

BTW tokyo is still expanding its rail which is already the largest in the world..

Quote:
Tokyo has the most extensive urban railway network in the world, including surface lines.[1] There are 30 operators, 102 passenger train lines serving Tokyo, and 19 more serving Greater Tokyo but not Tokyo proper, for a total of 121 serving the metropolitan area, not including some 12 cable cars. Despite this vastness, the network is still being expanded. Rail and subway lines are highly integrated and dense; commuter trains from the suburbs continue directly into the subway network on many lines, often emerging on the other side of the city to serve another company's surface commuter line. It is estimated some 20 million people use rail as their primary means of transport (not trips) in the metropolitan area daily. Shinjuku Station is the busiest train station in the world by passenger throughput
Tokyos largest "line" is the yamanote line which was made in 1920. But subways have only existed in tokyo since the 70s.

Yamanote line 1925, most of japans lines have existed for decades.

Last edited by Bibi12; 05-26-2009 at 04:28 PM..

Unread 05-26-2009, 07:36 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,822,556 times
^^^ How far does the subway system line in Tokyo streches out into the suburbs? In NYC, the subway line is just in NYC alone. I know that in Washington, the Metro streches out into Prince George County and Montgomery Coounty in Maryland, and Fairfax County, Arlington County, and the City of Alexandria in Virginia.

It would be nice to see the NYC subway extended into NJ, LI, or CT, but that will most likely never happen. Mainly because of the use of Federal money ( especially in the case of NJ).

The Metro is way more advance than the NYC subway. This is mainly due to the fact that the Metro was built in the late 70s. Some of the stations date back into the early 2000s.

Unread 05-26-2009, 08:45 PM

^^ im not familiar with tokyos subway only its above rail which is more used (afaik) but i assume it covers the entire greater tokyo area.

Here is a cool driving video through tokyo. I suggest everyone who hasnt seen tokyo before watch this video in HD (click the HD)

YouTube - (HD)Drive at night in Tokyo

4:55 is ginza

You can see tokyo tower and many districts in this video. Too bad it doesnt show the good parts of shinjyuku.

Last edited by Bibi12; 05-26-2009 at 09:56 PM..

Unread 05-26-2009, 09:05 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,822,556 times
Aa, Are wa Tokyo Towa Desu!

Unread 05-26-2009, 09:37 PM

4,880 posts, read 5,424,954 times
It isn't surprising that they are expanding the rail lines. Japan's population may have crested but there's still sardines in a can feeling on the trains if traveling during the rush hour. Literally.

Last time I went I was glad to see "women only" cars. During rush hour there are only females allowed on certain rail cars since pervs kept groping them or even stealing their stuff.

In all I think Tokyo is an impressive city because of scale, technology, and how safe it is for such a huge city. There's maybe ... 2-3 murders per year that we hear of. I don't know of any other city the size of Tokyo that is that safe.

NYC is a cultural icon of the USA and because of that many of its residents come off as bossy and rude since the image of NYC gets to their heads.

Unread 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,768,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Just for comparison

"City" alone
Tokyo
-Area: 2,187.08 (621.81) kmē
-Population: 12.8 million
-Density: 5,847 /kmē

NYC
- area: 1,214.4 km2 (this stat is for city, it lists many stats idk which one i should use)
- Population: 8.2 million
- Density: 10,482/km2

Metro areas
Tokyo
- Area: 13,754 km2
- Population: 34.4 million
- Density: 2,516/km2

NYC
- Area: 17,405 kmē
- Population: 18.8 million
- Density: 1,077/kmē
The area for NYC is 1214.4 kmē including rivers and bays. The Land is actually 789.4 kmē

Unread 05-27-2009, 02:38 PM

341 posts, read 60,920 times
Tokyo blows NYC out of the water. Perhaps I am bias because I live in NYC right now. Is it great? Sure. But the fact is...Tokyo has some of the highest tech stuff in the WORLD. The architecture that they use for some of their buildings is just amazing and doesn't even exist in NYC. Tokyo is also MUCH older than NYC and has plenty of ancient monuments as well. I absolutely LOVE their futuristic approach to everything...they are just so advanced.

Not everyone can afford to visit Tokyo..Japan is VERY expensive..not every average Joe can just pack their bags and visit Tokyo. Japanese people visit NYC because they can afford it...if every NYer could afford Tokyo, there would be more of them as well. It doesn't have anything to do with one city being more desired than the other...most people I know in NYC would love to visit Tokyo....not all of them can afford it. A lot of that probably has to do with the currency conversion etc. Who knows?

Lastly, I also love the culture and work ethic that Tokyo possesses. Yes, they have had earthquakes that destroyed their city many times....did you see how fast they had everything up and running again?....well at least in comparison to the 20+ years that it took NYC to just barely get its cleaned up. I find it impressive that they can rebuild their cities from a sort of SOL position...have it look BETTER than NYC..and do it all in a fraction of the time that it just takes NYC, alone, to lower the crime and clean up the city a little.

NYC is great..but it just simply does NOT compare to Tokyo. If you think it does, though, then you're welcome to have your own opinion....but I am pretty sure a few of you are just in a deep denial....@ least a few of you. It's pretty obvious by your ignorant and unbased comments.

PS. To say that Tokyo "copied" NYCs Times Square is HILARIOUS LOL..come on people...let's be reasonable here!!!

Unread 05-27-2009, 03:38 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,768,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc3 View Post
Tokyo blows NYC out of the water. Perhaps I am bias because I live in NYC right now. Is it great? Sure. But the fact is...Tokyo has some of the highest tech stuff in the WORLD. The architecture that they use for some of their buildings is just amazing and doesn't even exist in NYC. Tokyo is also MUCH older than NYC and has plenty of ancient monuments as well. I absolutely LOVE their futuristic approach to everything...they are just so advanced.

Not everyone can afford to visit Tokyo..Japan is VERY expensive..not every average Joe can just pack their bags and visit Tokyo. Japanese people visit NYC because they can afford it...if every NYer could afford Tokyo, there would be more of them as well. It doesn't have anything to do with one city being more desired than the other...most people I know in NYC would love to visit Tokyo....not all of them can afford it. A lot of that probably has to do with the currency conversion etc. Who knows?

Lastly, I also love the culture and work ethic that Tokyo possesses. Yes, they have had earthquakes that destroyed their city many times....did you see how fast they had everything up and running again?....well at least in comparison to the 20+ years that it took NYC to just barely get its cleaned up. I find it impressive that they can rebuild their cities from a sort of SOL position...have it look BETTER than NYC..and do it all in a fraction of the time that it just takes NYC, alone, to lower the crime and clean up the city a little.

NYC is great..but it just simply does NOT compare to Tokyo. If you think it does, though, then you're welcome to have your own opinion....but I am pretty sure a few of you are just in a deep denial....@ least a few of you. It's pretty obvious by your ignorant and unbased comments.

PS. To say that Tokyo "copied" NYCs Times Square is HILARIOUS LOL..come on people...let's be reasonable here!!!
The funny thing is that Tokyo can compare to NYC. Alot more buildings in Tokyo are bland. Being new doesnt mean better. What do you mean NY barely got itself cleaned up. There is difference in vast amounts of crime and vandalization and earthquake. The entire city of tokyo was destroyed and its the capital of its country there was the only option of starting over and build newer buildings. On the other hand NY was going through a counter cultural event that hit all five boroughs with thousands of people apart of it. A little clean up? What are you talking about?

Look at the murder rate from the 1920s to now. Just by the muder rate what else do you think was going on during these high peaks of crime the swept the city.

Its not like the city fell apart and we can just build new buildings. Why get rid of old ones if they are still standing. The architecture they use? Could you elaborate? And about visiting Tokyo of course i would want to but if i could afford it, it wouldnt be the first city on my list. NYC is better. People bring up the same old things about Tokyo, Advance Technology, Lots of People and buildings, etc Nothing different. This is not about one category but all. Which city is overall better.

NY
Quote:
A leading global city, it exerts a powerful influence over worldwide commerce, finance, culture, fashion and entertainment. As host of United Nations headquarters, New York is also an important center for international affairs.
Do i need to say more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia