U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 PM

101 posts, read 297,648 times

Advertisements

Japanese culture and customs are "weird" to us. Normal to them. Hehe. I do love to read their Engrish signs!

Both cities are nice on their own, IMO. I don't see them as cities meant to be compared or anything.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 PM

371 posts, read 1,009,982 times
They should be compared because they r different

Old 11-19-2007, 05:10 PM

72 posts, read 239,625 times
Personally, I prefer New York. The safe parts are way more diverse than Japan, and at least in most of Queens people aren't as prejudiced like East Asians tend to be. More diversity means more food choices and more open minds. I lived in Taiwan for two years and was surprised by the strange opinions people had towards Westerners in general, and especially towards people with African ancestry. Friendly people ( my Mom's side is from Taiwan, by the way), but sheltered from and resistant to other cultures

As a future civil engineer, I prefer New York for it's diverse architecture. Tokyo is just drab concrete, glass, and steel. New York has man great Sure, the subway's dirty, but what do you expect from a 70-100 year old system that goes through the slums? The electronics scene in Japan does not draw me at all. I'll stick with a camera for taking pictures, a cell phone for making calls, and a projector for watching movies. HDTV? I don't even watch TV. 4G phone? I use a cell phone for it's original purpose: to call people.

On the other hand, I'd be tempted by Kyoto for its history and traditional buildings, and the fact that I know a family from that area that can show me the ropes.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 39,172 times
Tokyo.
Although NYC is a really nice place, Tokyo is cleaner, safer and is more convenient. Take subways for example; Tokyo's is more reliable, safer and is more connected. It's a close match but Tokyo is a little better.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:25 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,499,295 times
I have seen both cities and from my side..I prefer NY!
America is the best for me..
I love USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,499,295 times
Tokyo is more clean than NY but New yorkers people... they are the best!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:57 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,320,833 times
Saying tokyo is better because its clean is pretty lame. Nyc has more diversity more character, probably 100x more. More famous, more relevant, more things going on, more exciting. Bronx Brooklyn Manhattan Queens Staten Island-NYC is unmatched period. ............... Tokyo! give me a break

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-15-2008 at 08:13 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,987 times
Having lived in both cities, I'd have to say Tokyo beats NYC hands down. There's no perfect place, but a lot of the bad points of Tokyo people rant about are in my view stereotypes that are based on viewing only surface appearances: the whole conformity thing has some truth to it, but if you don't want to "conform", but as foreigner no one's going to lock you up or ostracize you. You're expected to be different, so it's just shrugged off. As far as coldness to "outsiders", I've found that if you try to speak even a little Japanese, such as a basic greeting, people really appreciate it. As far as appreciating cultural diversity, Tokyo has a Samba Festival (Brazilian influence), a St. Patrick's Day Parade (Irish Influence), and a Halloween Parade (American / Celtic influence). There are tons of TV programs that feature topics on foreign travel and culture for those who want to watch them, from foreign culture quiz shows to the more highbrow documentaries on their equivalent of PBS. More recently, South Korean movies and dramas have become all the craze, especially among middle-aged housewives.And as far as tolerance goes, I'd challenge anyone to find anyone in Japan who's going to try to force their religion down your throat, for example. It can and does happen in the US. Also, there's no pseudo-demonization of alcohol here as in some regions of the US. Of course I know those things are also very rare in NYC (as opposed to the US generally). My point is that the lack of appreciation for diversity in Japan is exaggerated. Add that to a safer, cleaner environment, and I personally see Tokyo as a better place to live overall. But hey, to each their own. (:

Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 7,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Saying tokyo is better because its clean is pretty lame. Nyc has more diversity more character, probably 100x more. More famous, more relevant, more things going on, more exciting. Bronx Brooklyn Manhattan Queens Staten Island-NYC is unmatched period. ............... Tokyo! give me a break
Being more famous doesn't have to mean better; besides, are you saying that more people know of the existence of NYC than of Tokyo? I'd have to say they're equally famous.

Cleanliness and safety can be measured, but excitement is a matter of personal preference. If someone says that bird watching excites them, that's them. I'm not gonna argue. I'd have to say your view seems based more on home town pride, the pre-set conclusion that NYC must be the best in every conceivable way. My own view is just based on what I've experinced as a resident of both cities. Ultimately it's all subjective. To each their own.

Have you been to Tokyo, by the way?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:44 AM

812 posts, read 2,115,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
HDTV is the standard. That means everyone has it. Also when you look at their basic cell phone lineup, it's better then the top of the line in USA. Not to mention they have 4G cell phone broadband. That means streaming video phone calls, instant music download, hi speed net access.

So yes Japan is ahead of the USA when it comes to everyday technology in the hands of the average person. From basics such as TV and Cell Phone to preventing disasters like an advanced tunnel system that swallows a hurricanes storm surge.

As for segregation, it's divided by a lot more then income in NYC. In fact it's even divided by ethnicity. How do I know this? I live in NYC. There are plenty of studies that back my claims.

Yes, japan and even in some ways korea is much more advanced and sophisticated in some ways.

i've been there and their internet download speeds are lightning fast and that's standard. it's refreshing to not have to stare at your computer screen forever waiting. they are cleaner too except the culture is more homogenious and that can give you a sense of more isolation but it also means it would behoove you to pay attention to subtlety and tone it down a notch to do so. it can seem a bit repressive or boring but so does most homogenious places in america like where just all whites live.

usually dealing with people on an everyday basis from even a lowly store clerk is usually not an unpleasant experience as they are more professional. the rest of america has really bad manners and i'm talking about everyone but nyc has got a charm and character as well as ethnic character, at least from what i remember when i visited before. places change though.

Last edited by leaana; 05-07-2009 at 01:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or