U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:47 AM

812 posts, read 2,117,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2009 View Post
Having lived in both cities, I'd have to say Tokyo beats NYC hands down. There's no perfect place, but a lot of the bad points of Tokyo people rant about are in my view stereotypes that are based on viewing only surface appearances: the whole conformity thing has some truth to it, but if you don't want to "conform", but as foreigner no one's going to lock you up or ostracize you. You're expected to be different, so it's just shrugged off. As far as coldness to "outsiders", I've found that if you try to speak even a little Japanese, such as a basic greeting, people really appreciate it. As far as appreciating cultural diversity, Tokyo has a Samba Festival (Brazilian influence), a St. Patrick's Day Parade (Irish Influence), and a Halloween Parade (American / Celtic influence). There are tons of TV programs that feature topics on foreign travel and culture for those who want to watch them, from foreign culture quiz shows to the more highbrow documentaries on their equivalent of PBS. More recently, South Korean movies and dramas have become all the craze, especially among middle-aged housewives.And as far as tolerance goes, I'd challenge anyone to find anyone in Japan who's going to try to force their religion down your throat, for example. It can and does happen in the US. Also, there's no pseudo-demonization of alcohol here as in some regions of the US. Of course I know those things are also very rare in NYC (as opposed to the US generally). My point is that the lack of appreciation for diversity in Japan is exaggerated. Add that to a safer, cleaner environment, and I personally see Tokyo as a better place to live overall. But hey, to each their own. (:
the biggest misconception is americans appreciate differences and diversity and in real life experience, people don't. people are as judgemental of differences in america maybe even more rudely so as anywhere else. i don't see a lot of diversity as much as so many different people having to live side by side so can find more contrast. there are so many staunchly dull and degenerate people who halt things to a grind or want to keep things old-fashioned in america too as well, that it's a drag and irritating. of course, they don't see themselves this way. at least in nyc, most of them are there because they have a cosmopolitan and more worldly soul or at least appreciate the human complexity and diversity.

Last edited by leaana; 05-07-2009 at 02:07 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 11:49 PM
HKL

20 posts, read 49,486 times
It's interesting to see that many responses concerning Japan or East Asians in general not being tolerable to outsiders. As an Asian who has never been to Japan, but have emigrated from HK to NY, I can't say USA in general is very tolerant of outsiders either.

The first day of elementary school I was mocked by just about everyone in the class. A bunch of kids stretched their eyes to give that Miley Cyrus look. Couple other kids sang "Me Chinese Me so Dumb"

Sometimes my white friends would litter and spit on the subway and when I try to say something about it, it would usually end up with a "Get outta this country"

There's just a lot of remarks like "Get the f**k out of this country" in general towards outsiders.

Plenty of Americans boast about their countries army and how it can kick everyone else's a**. While that is most likely true, saying that to someone else from another origin and pinpointing their country isn't a very foreign friendly thing to do.

In conclusion, I think a lot of you have never experienced being an outsider in USA before, so it's hard for you guys to judge.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:08 AM

895 posts, read 2,147,775 times
Tokyo

Old 05-22-2009, 05:50 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,285,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKL View Post
It's interesting to see that many responses concerning Japan or East Asians in general not being tolerable to outsiders. As an Asian who has never been to Japan, but have emigrated from HK to NY, I can't say USA in general is very tolerant of outsiders either.

The first day of elementary school I was mocked by just about everyone in the class. A bunch of kids stretched their eyes to give that Miley Cyrus look. Couple other kids sang "Me Chinese Me so Dumb"

Sometimes my white friends would litter and spit on the subway and when I try to say something about it, it would usually end up with a "Get outta this country"

There's just a lot of remarks like "Get the f**k out of this country" in general towards outsiders.

Plenty of Americans boast about their countries army and how it can kick everyone else's a**. While that is most likely true, saying that to someone else from another origin and pinpointing their country isn't a very foreign friendly thing to do.

In conclusion, I think a lot of you have never experienced being an outsider in USA before, so it's hard for you guys to judge.
Um... in New York, this doesn't really happen. Everyone is exposed to so many other races, that it doesn't really bother them. Sure, this does happen in other cities which have less exposure to diversity, but this thread is about NYC, and I can't believe that you're talking about it. If you are.. then you've had extremely bad luck, and met all the wrong people, and I suggest you meet new ones.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:02 AM

604 posts, read 1,668,110 times
nyc
tokyo doesnt seem that nice in pics, and i dont speak the language, or mandarin, or korean, or cantonese, so the whole area is kind of useless.
and leanna why do you always complain about america...unless your like in school it wouldnt be that hard to move. I plan on moving to the states when im done...

Old 05-22-2009, 10:09 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,688,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKL View Post

Im curious to know what year was that.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:05 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,981,459 times
I think it is very tough to compare these two cities as "which one is better"

For the most part, Tokyo isn't really a "city" in the proper sense of the word, but really a "metropolis" and if anything, how does one define Tokyo?

The 23 special wards that make up Tokyo?
Tokyo-To? ( the special 23 wards, plus smaller areas in the western part of the prefecture.)
Or Shoko-Ken? ( National Capitol Region, one of the names for the Tokyo metro area)

If we comepare the 5 Boroughs to the 23 wards, I think Tokyo will beat NYC on a slight edge when it comes to being a "city". That means it beats NYC in terms of government, infrastucture, and crime.

I believe NYC will have Tokyo beat when it comes to actually living in these two urban areas, but it depends on who you are.

I think a foreigner will have a tough time in Tokyo, where the population is mostly Japanese. Where as in NYC, there are many different ethic, racial, religous, etc, minorities in the city.

At the end of the day, I think it is too hard to tell which is better. Both of these cities are so complex.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:58 AM

^ very nice i agree, for living if youre not japanese NYC is better. But just from a third person point of view tokyo wins. The healthcare,infrastructure, crime rate etc are all astronomically better then NYC. Not to mention the public transport which is the best in the world.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:40 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,981,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
^ very nice i agree, for living if youre not japanese NYC is better. But just from a third person point of view tokyo wins. The healthcare,infrastructure, crime rate etc are all astronomically better then NYC. Not to mention the public transport which is the best in the world.
A lot of that has to do with history. Tokyo is older than NYC, but Tokyo really didn't became "important" untill 1869, when the capitol was moved from Kyoto to Edo (Tokyo), ending Kyoto's reign as capitol of Japan for over a thousand years.

Tokyo also suffered a great earthquake in 1923 and again, it was heavily bombed during WWII.

NYC has an older subway system than Tokyo, and this city seen some learn years from in the 70s-early90s.

Lastly, I (now I may be wrong) but I think Tokyo is seen by many people in Japan, as being the crowing achievement of Japan. A city that has tremoundous amount of good infrascructure, technology, and a beautiful urban enviroment. As well as it should be!

Where as, NYC is pretty much on it's own.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:47 PM

Hmm Tokyo has good infrastructure but its definately not the best in japan. Almost all of japan not only tokyo has the best public transport system in the world. Our shinkasen trains etc are really great. Most people in japans metro areas never even drive (i know its similar in NYC but if you go to japan and ride our trains and then NYC you would see what i mean).

Quote:
The Tōkaidō Shinkansen is the world's busiest high-speed rail line. Carrying 375,000 passengers a day, it has transported more passengers (4.5 billion) than all other high speed lines in the world combined

Test runs have reached 443 km/h (275 mph) for conventional rail in 1996, and up to a world-record 581 km/h (361 mph) for maglev trainsets in 2003
here is a japanese train

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or