Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 AM

895 posts, read 2,365,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Aight whatever i have heard from sources way higher than you that nyc is the best all around city. In every list you hear its New York or London first than paris than tokyo. Where are you getting this whole tokyo is better from? This is news to me.

People can be jealous of cities. Look at the city vs city forums. Matter fact look at ya, hating on new york cuz ya come from west bubble usa. If anything stop being a tokyo groupie, im from nyc im defending my city. Ya not even from japan let alone tokyo yet ya all over its sac. Just like people from tokyo be all over the united states sac. All over our culture alot of wich comes from new york. Your not going to sit here and tell me tokyo doesnt implement hip hop into their fashion. They probably got the most hip hop fashion stores outside the u.s.

Tokyo is more clean. But thats it.
Clean, safe, infrastructure, healthcare yes basically about everything for living a good life.

And no hip hop fasion is not prevalent in tokyo at all LOL. Not even 1 hip hop song is in oricon right now (japanese music charts). Most japanese guys in tokyo wax their hair and wear fitted button shirts and jeans. I'd say around 10-25% of tokyo youth dress even remotely hip hop style. Tokyo is all about rock and pop styles. Now if we're talking about Osaka than itd be more like 50%. Yes tokyo has many hip hop fashion stores, just like it has tons of fashion stores for every fashion. Tokyo is where most japanese based companies are, but without a doubt almost all the people who buy those clothes are from Osaka. Osaka has wayyyy more hip hop stores than tokyo. Trust me I'm from Osaka and I'm into hip hop myself lol.

BTW you're not defending your city you're just being choosing to not look at the statistics and facts. Everysingle study and statistics shows tokyo is better in all the key areas to making living in a city good. I dont know what youre trying to dispute. Tokyo ranks better in crime rate,infrastructure,healthcare,efficiency,technolo gy etc. Even when it comes to food tokyo has ranked #1 for the past 2 years.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 AM

341 posts, read 452,143 times
Quote:
Aight whatever i have heard from sources way higher than you that nyc is the best all around city. In every list you hear its New York or London first than paris than tokyo. Where are you getting this whole tokyo is better from? This is news to me.

People can be jealous of cities. Look at the city vs city forums. Matter fact look at ya, hating on new york cuz ya come from west bubble usa. If anything stop being a tokyo groupie, im from nyc im defending my city. Ya not even from japan let alone tokyo yet ya all over its sac. Just like people from tokyo be all over the united states sac. All over our culture alot of wich comes from new york. Your not going to sit here and tell me tokyo doesnt implement hip hop into their fashion. They probably got the most hip hop fashion stores outside the u.s.

Tokyo is more clean. But thats it.
Have you looked at the way you write lately? I don't think I need to say anything else. I'm not from the west btw. LOL.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
I think we are having to differant arguments here. I may have misunderstood. Im arguing what city is more important and relevant. Ur arguing what city is better to live in as far as health and saefty? If your strictly arguing the latter than of course tokyo is better for that than new york or any other city. What they have like 2 homicides a year? I'll give tokyo that easily. I just misunderstood the argument

ps. Your from japan so of course u can call it better than me. But it seems like whenever they show youth their, their wearing retro colors, nikes, fitteds etc hip hop stuff. What do i know

Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63estr View Post
times sq is one the seediest areas of nyc. it shouldnt be seen as the only thing nyc has to offer.nyc is much much more than a block filled with neon lights and billboards.
Seedy? Maybe twenty years ago... not today. It's just an area PACKED with tourists.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I think we are having to differant arguments here. I may have misunderstood. Im arguing what city is more important and relevant. Ur arguing what city is better to live in as far as health and saefty? If your strictly arguing the latter than of course tokyo is better for that than new york or any other city. What they have like 2 homicides a year? I'll give tokyo that easily. I just misunderstood the argument

ps. Your from japan so of course u can call it better than me. But it seems like whenever they show youth their, their wearing retro colors, nikes, fitteds etc hip hop stuff. What do i know
Hmm i dont know what youre watching O_o. Just watch japanese drama or shows and you can get an idea...or visit japan. Kansai area is very into hip hop (even then its not the #1 style) but tokyo is mostly like what i described before. Guys usually color their hair brown or orange and wax it etc.

More important or relevant well thats for a different thread. Tokyo is the most important and relevant for asia while NYC probably is for the west (though europeans tell me differently). Im simply talking about what makes a city good for the average person in other words these things; the food, safety, health, infrastructure, technology, Cleanliness etc.

US music dominates and idk if it all comes from NYC or not but i dont think so but even if it did it's already obvious your movie and music industry dominate (which btw are owned by japanese companies now LOL) the world culture. But if we do it individually japanese music sells the most singles in the world! Now you may ask why?? Well its almost all sold in only 3 countries, japan korea and china. So many are sold because china has 1.3 billion people. Other than east asia you dont really hear japanese music ever. BTW doesnt the south US dominate hip hop now and not NYC.

If an american tourist were to ask me "which city should i visit NYC or tokyo" i would say tokyo simply because it ranks #1 for food, and its a completely different culture and you will feel like you go 5 years into the future. If an east asian were to ask me the same question i would say NYC. And BTW NYC, San Francisco and Miami are my favorite cities to visit in the US.

PS. i just came back from my english class and i was talking to the guy infront of me about NYC (he's from NY and has a super strong accent i can barely understand) and he told me in his opinion tokyo would be a better city .

Old 05-28-2009, 01:43 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Ugh, it's kind of sad when people think their hometown is the end-all and be-all and have never experienced the rest of the world. Hometown pride is one thing, but the New Yorkers in this topic take the cake.

Tokyo has a lot more going for it than "just" being a much safer and cleaner big city than NYC (as if those shouldn't be a huge factor in the equation). And what Tokyo may lack in diversity (though there are parts of the city where you'll find plenty of diversity), it makes up for it through an interesting and idiosyncratic culture that's evolved over the millennia that draws from its own roots while refracting cultures around the world through its own lens. This is certainly something to be treasured in a time when so many major cities in the world are jumping over themselves to, ironically, diversify by becoming globally homogenized.

And seriously KONY? You're going to tell other people what the dominant fashion of Tokyo is? Have you been to Tokyo, Japan, or even East Asia before? Shouldn't you take this as a challenge to actually see the rest of the world, so you can really judge for yourself?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM

341 posts, read 452,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Ugh, it's kind of sad when people think their hometown is the end-all and be-all and have never experienced the rest of the world. Hometown pride is one thing, but the New Yorkers in this topic take the cake.

Tokyo has a lot more going for it than "just" being a much safer and cleaner big city than NYC (as if those shouldn't be a huge factor in the equation). And what Tokyo may lack in diversity (though there are parts of the city where you'll find plenty of diversity), it makes up for it through an interesting and idiosyncratic culture that's evolved over the millennia that draws from its own roots while refracting cultures around the world through its own lens. This is certainly something to be treasured in a time when so many major cities in the world are jumping over themselves to, ironically, diversify by becoming globally homogenized.

And seriously KONY? You're going to tell other people what the dominant fashion of Tokyo is? Have you been to Tokyo, Japan, or even East Asia before? Shouldn't you take this as a challenge to actually see the rest of the world, so you can really judge for yourself?
I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that many NYers cannot afford to travel and see outside of their little shoebox. You just have to let them flap at the gums while the rest of the world laughs @ them. Everyday I'm here, in NYC, they have consistently proven that they are about as bright as doorknobs.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

You bring up another point. While Tokyo is ethinically homogenous (basically everyone is japanese) everysingle world culture is present. They have some of the best italian restaurants in the world (like the link i posted before tokyo ranked #1 for food 2 years in a row even though its all japanese people), french etc etc. We have everything you would find in a multicultural city...except large communities of those people.

Actually the picture of myself in my profile is of my work clothes for a 5 star italian restaurant in tokyo (i lived there for 1 year). Many italians visited my restaurant and said it was as good as the food in rome itself lol.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:34 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I know one thing that NYC beats Tokyo at ...

The number of people who think their city is the best and are arrogant as a result of it.

That's pretty much it ... that and finance, but we all know how THAT ended up with the current crisis.

Seriously, if NYC finance people were so smart, why do we have skyrocketing unemployment, skyrocketing debt, a crumbling infrastructure, and families needing two jobs to make a living?
Have you ever looked at history things fall and rise and fall. Besides like some one said before no one was complaining when the economy was skyrocketing. If the economy wasn't better how come the downturn is effecting the world. Anyway here is a chart. I posted this already I think.

As i said before NYC is the Culture, Finance(NYC has a more diverse economy then Tokyo too), Fashion, Media, and Business capital. How can Tokyo compare. You guys are only comparing what Tokyo is best at like infrastructure.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:40 PM

Its been said over and over again. Infrastructure,crime,healthcare,education,food,cle anliness and technology. Stop saying only infrastructure. And what does one chart supposed to represent? And Tokyo vs NYC in what? Global impact or for living? Tokyo is the better city for quality of life hands down. No one here argued anything about global impact.

"Cultural exchange" is completely by opnion. Why is London above NYC when NYC is more multi cultural? And for many americans tokyo is much more of a cultural shock and experience than NYC is. You cant measure that on a graph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia