U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 PM

371 posts, read 836,257 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I need some advices here, not sure if I should sell my houses(in Taiwan), move back to the states. Or just take loan against those houses, move back to the states and invest in some houses there. Which one is better long term and for investing wise?

IF I sell:
1, exchange rate to USD is much better now 29.1, the last 5 years the average rate was 32.2. So from 32.2 to 29.1 it's about 10% increase so if I sell the houses now I will gain 10% right away, more if later the rate goes up to 33,34 etc (Of course I would have to exchange it back to NTD again to gain that %)
2, Houses in the states are really cheap now, so take some cash and get some houses there, in 5,10, or 15 years it should be picked up again. While in KHH (houses are in KHH) the real estate here is like have been cold for awhile, not much improvement since maybe 10 years ago?
3, Houses' rent ROI before costs are 3 to 3.5% each year
4, I won't be really coming back to Taiwan, and this should be the number 1 or 2 top reason in making a decision in this. I will probably let property management handle the houses (IF I can find one here in KHH) or agree to let my tenant rent it out.
5, in 10 years or so which place the RE value will be worth more? USA or Kaohsiung, Taiwan?

If I don't sell:
1, I will just take out loan against those houses(no mortgages on the houses), let rent cover those mortgages (houses are in good location and usually no problem renting it out at all) so in another 20, 30 years the houses will be paid off and I will still have those houses, if I sell them now they will be gone! no steady rental income, can't borrow no loan etc.
2, exchange rate might be bad later, 34, 35?
3, I am not around in Taiwan, can't really take care and see the houses, not a good idea if your assets is so far away. Plane ticket is expensive too and once I get back here, friends and relatives aren't really here so I don't have much business in here other than the houses.
4, Houses are in great location, with a lot of crowd around, no problem renting them out etc. One of the house used to be in Kaohsiung county and now it's Kaohsiung city, also the KHH metro MRT is 350meters away. (they say once it's picked up, value should go up 10 to 20%, but might take 5, 10 or even 15 years?
5, one of the houses the other owner in the area they rarely sell the houses there, so that means something. It's in a good location. Maybe I shouldn't sell also?
6 house value usually goes up against the inflation, a pretty good investment.

Well there you are those are my reasons, I am in no financial trouble and in no great need of selling the house, just wondering which path will be better for me down the road. what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia