Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 PM

134 posts, read 343,832 times

Advertisements

btw, Is their a difference in cuisine between Chiang Mai and other parts of Thailand? I love noodle dishes, spicy food, and seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:24 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinher View Post
btw, Is their a difference in cuisine between Chiang Mai and other parts of Thailand? I love noodle dishes, spicy food, and seafood.
There are some specialty dishes from various regions, but generally, much of what you find in one part of the country, you can find in other parts of the country. Noodle dishes, spicy and mild food, rice dishes, fish and other seafood, chicken, pork, beef, you name it, it's there. There's a wide variety of different foods. Just about anywhere you go, you'll smell food. It's almost like you can't go around the corner without finding a food stall or vendor nearby. LOL! It's pretty amazing. They're everywhere. Most places provide condiments at the tables for you to spice up your dish to suit your own taste. Admittedly, not all stalls, vendors, and restaurants cook all things, but you'll certainly find plenty to satisfy your taste and appetite. If you've eaten Thai food in the US, chances are it's toned down a bit and not quite like what you'll find in Thailand. To me, eating Thai food in Thailand is never dull. It's incredibly flavorful.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 PM

134 posts, read 343,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
There are some specialty dishes from various regions, but generally, much of what you find in one part of the country, you can find in other parts of the country. Noodle dishes, spicy and mild food, rice dishes, fish and other seafood, chicken, pork, beef, you name it, it's there. There's a wide variety of different foods. Just about anywhere you go, you'll smell food. It's almost like you can't go around the corner without finding a food stall or vendor nearby. LOL! It's pretty amazing. They're everywhere. Most places provide condiments at the tables for you to spice up your dish to suit your own taste. Admittedly, not all stalls, vendors, and restaurants cook all things, but you'll certainly find plenty to satisfy your taste and appetite. If you've eaten Thai food in the US, chances are it's toned down a bit and not quite like what you'll find in Thailand. To me, eating Thai food in Thailand is never dull. It's incredibly flavorful.
Do any of the other SE asian countries have food thats similar to thai? whats the food like in cambodia, vietnam, malaysia, and the like?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Do any of the other SE asian countries have food thats similar to thai? whats the food like in cambodia, vietnam, malaysia, and the like?
I love Cambodian food. Similar to Thai, but I actually think slightly even better - which is impressive, as Thai already is world class food.

Vietnamese is another of my favorites. Not as spicey, more 'pho', or soup. I love this one dish they have there where you wrap your meat/veggies in rice paper and pop in the mouth. Expect fish sauce in Vietnam, which I also quite like.

Malaysia is much more bland. However, you get a lot of Indian foods in Malaysia due to a lot of Indian people who live in that 'multicultural' society.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Tiger Beer has already covered food in some SE Asian countries that he's traveled to. I've never been anywhere else except Thailand, so I can't really speak too much about other SE Asian countries. However, my wife and I have a good number of friends who are from Laos and from the Northeastern Region of Thailand. There's a strong influence from Laos in both the North (where Chiang Mai is located) as well as the Northeastern Regions of Thailand for various reasons which predate national borders, but there are also differences between the two regions. Anyway, dishes of both Thailand and Laos are very, very similar, but as indicated there are also some dishes that are a bit different because of local tradition.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I wish i could go this summer . I would want to see this.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I wish i could go this summer . I would want to see this.
Wow, do you know what part of the country thats in?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Wow, do you know what part of the country thats in?
Ang Thong. Here is a map.

Ang Thong Region Map: Ang Thong — Wiset Chai Chan | Thailand Google Satellite Maps

Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Malaysia has three main ethnic groups: Malay, Chinese, and Tamil (Indian). There are also sub-groups under each of these making for both a linguistic and culinary polyglot. Additionally, Thai food is quite common in the north and along the east coast.

As mentioned by TigerBeer, Indian food, both north and south, is readily available in larger cities and towns since there quite a few Tamils and smaller numbers of Malayalee, Keralese and so forth.

So, yeah, there is quite a bit of spicy food and most certainly NOT bland. In fact, I have traveled in Thailand, and live in Malaysia, and find that Malaysia has a greater variety than Thailand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia