Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:48 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,985 times

Advertisements

China to create largest mega city in the world with 42 million people - Telegraph

personally i don't think it'll happen anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Sounds easy enough..just merging them. China is quite ambitious with things these days, and they certainly have the money. I'd say it's definitely a good possibility.

I think they are also into having the biggest and the tallest and going in a linear direction to be on the economic top. So, wouldn't surprise me if they did either.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,650,634 times
There's already a thread about this in the urban planning forum. Personally I can picture having to spend three hours in a traffic jam just to see a tree and working-class people living like this:
Attached Thumbnails
China to create largest mega city in the world with 42 million people-chongqing.jpg  

Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,787,315 times
This area in the Pearl River Delta is already like one big giant city. Merging Shenzhen with Guangzhou doesn't seems difficult...

Old 01-27-2011, 12:50 AM

212 posts, read 399,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
This area in the Pearl River Delta is already like one big giant city. Merging Shenzhen with Guangzhou doesn't seems difficult...
Well, Guangdong province(广东省) will not be needed anymore then

BTW, Chongqing city(重庆市), which used to be a part of Sichuan province(四川省), has a population of about 32 million.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:53 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,557 times
That's more people than California! And California has more people than Canada, by the way.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:19 AM

212 posts, read 399,969 times
Guangdong province officially denied the rumor, BTW

Old 01-30-2011, 08:46 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,322 times
"Creating a mega-city" in this case hardly means anything else than building/improving commuter rail and other transportation infra between the PRD cities in question. This is not one of those cases where the Govt builds a city in the middle of nowhere, then realizes nobody wants to live there, and let the whole place lay dormant as a ghost town. The population in this case is already there.

And.. the Telegraph. Wish i could get a paper version of most of their articles, i'd love to use them to wipe my a**.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:59 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
"Creating a mega-city" in this case hardly means anything else than building/improving commuter rail and other transportation infra between the PRD cities in question. This is not one of those cases where the Govt builds a city in the middle of nowhere, then realizes nobody wants to live there, and let the whole place lay dormant as a ghost town. The population in this case is already there.

And.. the Telegraph. Wish i could get a paper version of most of their articles, i'd love to use them to wipe my a**.
Yeah, it does sound fishy. I mean, with that logic anyone could connect close cities together officially on paper and call it a megacity.

Also, didn't what I bolded already happened/is happening in China?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:49 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,070 times
Wow, I'd love to see that area. The largest I've seen so far are Dallas and Atlanta.
It looks fairly close to Thailand so maybe I will be able to sometime. I don't know if I'd want to live there for an extended period of time though.

I also agree the title is misleading, I was thinking something like building a bunch of massive skyscrapers on a scale not yet seen in the world and then relocating 42 million people. This place already looks like a massive urban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia