U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM

643 posts, read 1,022,274 times

Advertisements

Are worried about them having nuclear weapons, starting a war etc..

This is mainly going out to the South Koreans, Japanese and other Asian countries. Others feel free to join in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,867,838 times
Absolute not. The government in the world that I distrust the most is the USA, which is far more likely to kill North Koreans than Kim's regime is.

Kim has not come anywhere close to causing the deaths of as many North Koreans, as the number of Iraqis killed by Americans, and I won't even mention our other vandalizing adventures.

Asians will be quite safe, as long as the Americans stay out of their affairs.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM

5,008 posts, read 11,242,411 times
I am not afraid of Kim. Defectors have said that the populace is scared of him and divided. Their military is a joke. They also say nobody trusts the hand picked successor.

But what I do fear are the long range missiles that country has developed, the nuclear warheads and the biological warheads. I wouldn't be surprised if NK has developed weaponized smallpox, plague, polio, and marburg virus.

If the Kims do not establish a dynasty then I fear that the military will splinter and become erratic and either implode or the new Kim, upset at his not being able to be seen as a viable leader, will lash out militarily at some nation. That will lead to a large regional conflict which may kill millions.

The Kims have killed millions of their own people jtur88. Millions. Through starvation, disease, etc. Your anti-US stance is shocking and more to the point, off base on scale.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 AM

16,084 posts, read 38,083,795 times
I lived in South Korea for many years (7-8) and now I'm in Japan.

When I first arrived in South Korea, I was concerned. But, after awhile, I learned that it was just constant, constant incidents that were occurring. After awhile you become immuned to it.

(Kind of like violence or guns in the U.S. - you know they are there, but what can you do?)

In short, even long-term expats over here, Korea/Japan, get immuned from being concerned about N.Korea.

Basically, if they make ONE bold move, they are finished. So, they really can't do anything.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,867,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

If the Kims do not establish a dynasty then I fear that the military will splinter and become erratic and either implode or the new Kim, upset at his not being able to be seen as a viable leader, will lash out militarily at some nation.
If he is not seen as a viable leader, the military will refuse to obey such a command.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:03 PM

514 posts, read 1,473,168 times
no, because war doesn't happen in vacuum, just like crops don't grow on concrete. There needs to be seeds, soil, water and sunlight for something to grow. For war, there needs to be systemic imbalances or perceived systemic imbalances. As the result of events over the past decade, now, more than any point since the end of the cold war, we have a relatively balanced geopolitics in all major geopolitically important areas of the world. East Asia is no exception. One individual starting a world war usually and pretty much always only exists in Hollywood.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,633,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Absolute not. The government in the world that I distrust the most is the USA, which is far more likely to kill North Koreans than Kim's regime is.

Kim has not come anywhere close to causing the deaths of as many North Koreans, as the number of Iraqis killed by Americans, and I won't even mention our other vandalizing adventures.

Asians will be quite safe, as long as the Americans stay out of their affairs.

Wow, your ignorance of Kims North Korea is astounding.
I would recommend that you watch the documentary 'KimJongilia'. In the meantime here is an article you might find interesting...

Death, terror in N. Korea gulag - U.S. news - Only on MSNBC.com - January 2003: Crisis in the Koreas - msnbc.com

Old 03-04-2011, 04:41 PM

10,264 posts, read 10,881,757 times
not really but it's probably an error!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,955,319 times
Am I worried? Sometimes. Not at the moment for some reason. I guess because it's in a bit of flux with him possibly dying so we might have to wait to see what happens. Or maybe because they've been a bit quieter of late.

I think there's some evidence to think, when it comes to attacking others, they're all talk. That they just run an elaborate extortion-ring of threatening the Western powers so they can get food and other supplies. Still they did attack that island a month or so ago so who knows?

My sister's in Japan, but I gather they either don't talk world-affairs much or they only talk about it amongst family. So we sometimes have to tell her when some big North Korean thing happens.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 PM

3,917 posts, read 5,887,282 times
No, my wifes family live in seoul, and we are fequent visitors. The threat of a renewed war has being around for over 50 years now, and not much has happend. Still my wife does get a little anxious occassionally i think that has a lot to do with her brother however whos in a special branch of the Korean armed forces.

Personally i think the best thing the US could do for the two Koreas is get out of the south and let them sort things out themselves.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-04-2011 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or