U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times

Advertisements

Is Mumbai, fun?

Heard, at times, it is like a little London with pubs and nightlife popping up everywhere. At the same time, also heard it is very 'Indian', whatever that means exactly.

So, for a westerner, would it be fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,841,175 times
Well "very Indian" sounds just as fun to me as being a "little London."

I assume Mumbai must have fun areas. How can one of the biggest population cities in the world that is in a country that has so many cool and interesting things about it and so many cool and interesting people being from there end up NOT being a fun place?

So many of the people of Indian descent that I met in the USA were all such fun, cool, progressive, and interesting people and all middle class too. Or maybe the Indians are different in USA, England, and Canada than the Indians actually in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Mumbai, fun?

Heard, at times, it is like a little London with pubs and nightlife popping up everywhere. At the same time, also heard it is very 'Indian', whatever that means exactly.

So, for a westerner, would it be fun?

Old 04-27-2011, 01:20 PM

22 posts, read 45,314 times
Well, the local people going for a night out are extremwly rich by Indian standards. From Wikipedia:

"The Arjun Sengupta Report (from National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganised Sector) states that 77% of Indians live on less than 20 a day (about $0.50 per day) (...) The World Bank estimates that 80% of India's population lives on less than $2 a day[9][10] which means a higher proportion of its population lives on less than $2 per day as compared with sub-Saharan Africa.[10]"

Poverty in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-27-2011, 02:02 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,841,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAA View Post
Well, the local people going for a night out are extremwly rich by Indian standards. From Wikipedia:

"The Arjun Sengupta Report (from National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganised Sector) states that 77% of Indians live on less than 20 a day (about $0.50 per day) (...) The World Bank estimates that 80% of India's population lives on less than $2 a day[9][10] which means a higher proportion of its population lives on less than $2 per day as compared with sub-Saharan Africa.[10]"

Poverty in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I dont see how this is possible!?

Almost EVERY person of Indian descent that I met in the USA that lives in the USA, and almost all of them that live in England too and Canada are all middle class or higher in those countries and seem to do pretty well economically.

And there are so many things I know about India and things about it that would make it seem like it has lots of middle class and wealthy people and a lot of economic wealth like that there.

Also I heard 300 million people in India itself are middle class or higher!? I assume that is like 30% of India's population.

So how can so many people and such a high percentage of its population allegedly be so low income in that country?I dont think I even believe it.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:06 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
India progressive? lol I think you have the wrong country here. You're talking about a country where I have to hide myself from the dad of my girlfriend of 2 years because he'll disown her if he knows she's with me..

No, India will not have a night life like London, sure there are clubs blah blah, but its not a place you just go bar hopping. You can have fun in Mumbai, but don't expect London, NYC, Miami...

India is TERRIBLY poor and you cannot judge the country and people by what you see in USA...

Remember, middle class by indian standards is very poor for our standards.

India is an interesting place, and I'd recommend it to anyone, but just know what you're getting yourself into before you go.

I'm sure the guys who have been there like sponger will agree with what I say.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,396,020 times
The reason oversees Indians generally do well is because most of the emigrants tend to be culturally middle class. While culturally middle class people in India are often dirt poor, they have the intellectual capital to be successful given the oppurtunity.

To answer the OP's question, I couldn't guarantee you'd have the type of fun you're looking for as a Westerner/foreigner. Generally, locals who are wealthy enough to enjoy a nightlife are kinda snobby don't really interact with foreigners or just about anyone they might perceive to be "below" them so you might kinda be like an odd man out.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:01 PM

22 posts, read 45,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I dont see how this is possible!?

Almost EVERY person of Indian descent that I met in the USA that lives in the USA, and almost all of them that live in England too and Canada are all middle class or higher in those countries and seem to do pretty well economically.

And there are so many things I know about India and things about it that would make it seem like it has lots of middle class and wealthy people and a lot of economic wealth like that there.

Also I heard 300 million people in India itself are middle class or higher!? I assume that is like 30% of India's population.

So how can so many people and such a high percentage of its population allegedly be so low income in that country?I dont think I even believe it.
Those Indian people you met may be middle class by Western standards, certainly not by Indian standards - they are part of a very small minority. In India a very poor American person (by US standards) would be considered rich compared to the VAST majority of the population. Despite all this, real estae prices in central Mumbai are comparable to Manhattan's. In Dharavi, possibly the world's worst slum, located very close to the centre, it's different:

"Dharavi (...) spread over an area of 175 hectares, or 0.67 square miles (1.7 km2). In 1986, the population was estimated at 530,225,[3] but modern Dharavi has a population of between 600,000[4] and over 1 million people.[5] Dharavi is one of the largest slums in the world.[5][6][7][8][9]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharavi

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India:

A 2007 report by the state-run National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganised Sector (NCEUS) found that 77% of Indians, or 836 million people, lived on less than 20 rupees per day (USD 0.50 nominal, USD 2.0 in PPP), with most working in "informal labour sector with no job or social security, living in abject poverty."

Yes, as a Westerner this kind of poverty is hard to believe but it's the reality for most people in India.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Generally, locals who are wealthy enough to enjoy a nightlife are kinda snobby don't really interact with foreigners or just about anyone they might perceive to be "below" them so you might kinda be like an odd man out.
You might be on to something here. My limited interaction with Indians in New York. They just seemed to be most interested among each other.

I've heard most places places worthy of going in Mumbai you need either formal attire, or if you are a guy, you need to be accompanied by someone else?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:32 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,396,020 times
I'm not sure, I wasn't cool enough to hang out with those people when I visited. India isn't the type of country you visit for nightlife or amenities, lol.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:45 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
India is also a country of like a billion people. If 80% of them are poor, and I think it might be a bit lower than that now, that means 200 million of them are not poor. Or at least not poor by the standards they know. (Like "not poor" might mean they have enough food, adequate shelter, and a decent education but live in what we'd see as a cheap place with few amenities.)

And in several cases people who are not poor want to leave a country that is full of poverty. Or they have greater resources to come to places like Britain and the US whereas poor people in poor countries, if they can leave, have to find a less poor neighboring land. Many of the Third World migrants to the First World are highly motivated people of relatively middle-class or educated background. (Granted refugees and victims of human trafficking often aren't) That even tends to be true of Latin Americans who come to the US. The truly poor of those nations may feel trapped or just are trapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia