Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

Okay, to those who have been, what are some things that you lived about Kuala Lumpur?

On the other hand, what are some things you didn't like about Kuala Lumpur as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,433 times
Very modern and upscale. Comes across as a very wealthy country. Incredible shopping malls. Enormous bookstores with lots of English language books.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Very modern and upscale. Comes across as a very wealthy country. Incredible shopping malls. Enormous bookstores with lots of English language books.
Quite true.

Just the transition from Thailand into Malaysia...there is a stark contrast of kind of vibrant healthy trees everywhere almost the moment you cross into Malaysia. Very lush, better infrastructure.

The English is well. Nice to be able to suddenly communicate with people, compared to say Thailand.

(Not dissing Thailand at all, but just thinking of a few of the things I liked about Malaysia in contrast to Thailand).

Old 05-09-2011, 11:22 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,322,770 times
In KL I like the trees that line many of the roadways. Sitting on the mono-rail or above-ground portions of the LRT is a good way to get a tree-top view of the city and its foliage. I also like Chow Kit for its chaotic energy.

What I don't like is the horrible parking habits of the residents.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,467 times
Most of its attractions are either either possible to walk to from each other or a couple of monorail stops away. It has a large Little India with an authentic feel It's a nice city to see for a day or two but I wasn't terribly pleased by it... I'd say the greatest thing about KL is its proximity to the Batu Caves, truly one of the most amazing places in the world.

Dislikes:
Really though, I enjoyed elsewhere in Malaysia and the peninsula better. The people getting on and off the monorail make Koreans seem shy and timid by comparison. Expect to be pushed out of the way as you try to exit the train by boarders. Also, I didn't like how difficult it was to arrange travel to Melaka. The main bus station was closed (as of Feb 2011) so they had shuttle buses taking everyone to a temporary bus depot out in the suburbs. It is a confusing bazaar of bus companies set up in a tent-a unique experience but annoying because it adds an extra 30 min. to planning any long distance bus trip.

Most of what I disliked about KL is hard to put into words. I think it's because it tries hard to be modern but comes up just a little short, and there are many better places with more Malaysian charm.
Maybe another reason is that I visited Singapore on the same trip. Aside from being more expensive, it seemed to have one-upped KL in every respect (better ethnic enclaves, food, transportation, local helpfulness, etc. So this may have biased my view a bit.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,012 times
as a skyscraper nerd i liked the skyscrapers

as a sex addict i disliked the nightlife

Old 09-26-2022, 12:30 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
It’s a rather modern city, with a ton of skyscrapers. It lacks the cultural dynamism of Bangkok or the cleanliness of Singapore, but otherwise it’s a pretty fun place. I really enjoyed my time there.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:52 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
We really like the food in Malaysia. Found a great variety. My sister lived in KL for two years and they liked the balmy weather, whereas I do not. We found the people very nice and it was good for a stopover on the way to Sabah.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:28 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Quite true.

Just the transition from Thailand into Malaysia...there is a stark contrast of kind of vibrant healthy trees everywhere almost the moment you cross into Malaysia. Very lush, better infrastructure.

The English is well. Nice to be able to suddenly communicate with people, compared to say Thailand.

(Not dissing Thailand at all, but just thinking of a few of the things I liked about Malaysia in contrast to Thailand).
My experience over many years in visiting Thailand, and then living there for a couple of years, was that Thais were far more friendly and wanted to talk with Americans, while in Kuala Lumpur I found the Malays had better English skills but were far less friendly.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:37 AM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Visited May to June 2022, and again August to September this exact year twice. Cheap flight from Australia. With no virus restrictions entry rules remaining.

The Skyline, very rare Worldwide offer of 2 not just 1 Sky Deck Observation Towers in the city, lots of multilevel Malls, abundant Mosques throughout the entire city, vast above ground elevated public transportation system, and affordable yet developed middle class enough/not dirt poor when averaging this with all 198 countries.

My only complaint is almost kind of small when actually remembering the rest of the country doesn't have any other major mega cities. Even with lots of equally nice Malaysian towns. Also, the food scene is almost a bit wild/not much available. Malaysian food in Malaysia is obscure. Did find some solid tasty Japanese eateries. Kuala Lumpur could be one of the best cities in Asia. So, positives far outweigh the cons.

Oh, you need to post some picture from your extensive travels! Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia