U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:34 AM

251 posts, read 748,981 times

Advertisements

These are two of the options for our next military tour. I would appreciate any information people could pass along about living in these locations. I have not been to either (Our previous duty stations have been Virginia Beach, San Diego, Hawaii, and Rhode Island)
These are our general questions:
Is it a good place for families? (We have a toddler and an elementary school age child).
What are the schools like?
What is the commute like?
Crime?
Cleanliness?
Locals?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 04:34 PM

870 posts, read 1,359,050 times
I don't know about Naples, but Singapore is considered quite nice in your criteria. Schools are good, public transit is efficient, crime is almost nonexistent, and the country is extremely clean. The population is very diverse with a significant percentage of the country not citizens. The only downside is that it is more expensive than most places in the United States, though Naples would probably be expensive too.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,745,799 times
Never been to Naples yet been to Singapore. Its very clean, and its also quite safe. The public transport is great. I see its quite good for families too. Yet it of course is the most expensive place to live in South East Asia, but the food is quite cheap. There is even an American school and many American expat children attend to.

Last edited by other99; 05-16-2011 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 10:01 AM

188 posts, read 828,235 times
I've never been to Singapore, however I lived in Central Italy for 15 years. I loved Italia but I don't have a lot of good things to say about the city of Napoli it had high crime and was a very dirty city in the 80's and 90's and has had a MAJOR trash problem the last 25 years or so, most of the base now is located not in Naples but close by . Of course the surrounding areas are outstanding, safe and Clean, and you can do a weekend trip to anywhere in Italy you want to go of course it helps if you speak Italian also.

Google "military base Naples, Italy" there are tons and tons of threads concerning the area, Military.com is a very good resource also they have an installation guide, NSA Naples they use to have a online newpaper called "panorama" you might want to look it up, also "naplesallhands" has classifieds.

Good Luck...

Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 PM

6,435 posts, read 9,959,958 times
Go to Singapore. You don't even have to learn a new language.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,387,859 times
Singapore is a good bet. It's very expensive but I assume that you will have a military housing allowance. There's an American School there that has been around for years and has an excellent reputation.

It's really hot and humid but just about everywhere is air conditioned including public transportation. The general population is well educated and and speaks English.

The crime rate is very low. Punishment for drug offences is severe including death for trafficking. Compared to US cities it's remarkably clean. There are heavy fines for littering.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,254,321 times
I lived in Singapore for nearly 2 years. It is expensive but if your housing is taken care of then you can always live cheaply eating at local restaurants and buying food in the markets instead of the VERY expensive supermarkets. This was where we did most of our grocery shopping so you can see the kind of prices online for your everyday things and can have an accurate comparison. There are only 2 of us and I would say our household food bill has dropped a third since moving to the US. I cook from scratch a lot and only buy organic meats.
Welcome to Cold Storage

It is incredibly clean and crime free. It is very hot and humid every day of the year and that can get very tiresome. transport is good if you live on an MRT ( underground system ) line and the busses are good. Taxis are cheap. Cars are prohibitively expensive and thats IF you will the licence plate lottery that allows you to buy one. Most people I know there either did long term hiring or used public transport / taxis.
You need to check if you get an allowance to send your kids to American school.... I'm guessing its expensive and I don't know any expats who would ever send their kids to local schools there...We don't have kids so I have no idea about schooling....
You will have less of a problem with language but 'Singlish' or 'Hokkien' is so hard to understand that it sometimes feels like another language....I had a cleaner who was Singaporean and I could only understand about a third of what she said.....

YouTube - White Singaporean Boy

Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,387,859 times
If you're an occasional drinker alcohol is outrageously expensive.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:14 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,833,048 times
I was bored to tears in Singapore, but my sister loved living there. You're close to Malaysia and can get cheap flights throughout SE Asia.
Eat Singapore Curry Crab, check out the small markets and great Indian food.
Sentosa is fun, but be careful on Sunday, it's a zoo. Speaking of zoos, the Sing aviary is nice.
The sun rises and sets about 7:00 am and pm.
Remember that it's an island and islands can become very small after a time.

Personally, I'd take Italy.
You're close to Rome, Pompeii, and the Italian environs.
If you're living on base, or in base housing, it's not going to be a problem.
It's not as exotic as Singapore, but Italy is fun.

I'd suggest that you get a few books from the library for your options and/or look at the local military website to get an idea of services offered.
There's a better chance of having visitors in Europe than in SE Asia, if that's a priority of yours.

Last edited by chielgirl; 05-17-2011 at 05:43 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,587 times
My husband is active duty by the air force and we got orders to singapore. We have 2 children a 10 and 2 year old boys. We are very exited! I would love the hot and humid and beaches. We are still stationed in Great falls Montana in this is a place i never wanted to be!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or