U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Asia's Top Emerging Outsourcing Cities
Ho Chi Minh City (VIE) 2 25.00%
Hanoi (VIE) 1 12.50%
Shanghai (CHI) 4 50.00%
Shenzhen (CHI) 2 25.00%
Beijing (CHI) 3 37.50%
Guangzhou (CHI) 4 50.00%
Chengdu (CHI) 1 12.50%
Kolkata (IND) 0 0%
Chandigarh (IND) 0 0%
Cimbatore (IND) 0 0%
Jaipur (IND) 0 0%
Cebu City (PHI) 3 37.50%
Pasig City (PHI) 0 0%
Quezon City (PHI) 0 0%
Kuala Lumpur (MAL) 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2011, 10:36 PM
 
5 posts, read 13,348 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hey guys

What do you think? Which asian city is the best emerging place to outsource?

========
Thuy Nhien
Twitter: @offshoring21
FB: http://on.fb.me/offshoring21

Last edited by thuynhien; 05-17-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2011, 03:41 AM
 
5 posts, read 13,348 times
Reputation: 11
Default Vietnam Outsourcing

Vietnam Gearing up to be Next Asian IT and Outsourcing Tiger

According to the report, Vietnam has had one of the highest rates of growth in the world second only to China’s over the last ten years, and this trend is set to continue for the time to come and this generally augurs well for the economy. That apart Vietnam has followed a highly successful policy of creating niche export markets, which could not be serviced by China. It is well positioned to do the same with IT outsourcing.

The fact that IT is the fastest growing industry in Vietnam and between 1995 and 2008 it has attracted investment from 332 overseas IT firms bringing in a total investment of US$2 billion gives one an idea of the growth trajectory. The total investment is IT is slated to touch a figure of $3.5 billion by 2013. [/font]

Source: globalservicesmedia.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 PM
 
54 posts, read 84,334 times
Reputation: 78
I'm not sure if India and Philippines should be there, because they are already established as the top go-to places to outsource in Asia, even in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2011, 10:06 PM
 
5 posts, read 13,348 times
Reputation: 11
Hello laplante

You're quite right. India has the most cities listed as Top Outsourcing Places of the world. They are Bangalore, Dehli, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad and Pune.

This forum topic is about Emerging Outsourcing Cities in Asia. These newcomers have lots of competitive advantages, which old established cities don't possess anymore (e.g. lower hourly rates, available talent pool in IT, etc.)

Well, what city is your choice, laplante?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-22-2011 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: signatures not permitted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2011, 08:40 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,164 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Reputation: 11628
Likely various cities in India and the Philippines as there are many more opportunities for the local population to learn passable to great English alongside whatever other skills they need. The costs there are still incredibly cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2011, 02:02 AM
 
5 posts, read 13,348 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Likely various cities in India and the Philippines as there are many more opportunities for the local population to learn passable to great English alongside whatever other skills they need. The costs there are still incredibly cheap.

VIETNAM

Cost competitiveness index: 7.4

Rank: 9 / 32 top outsourcing countries

Salaries: Software engineer: 17.0 % of US
Source: PayScale, SourcingLine, February 2010


Real Estate: Office occupancy costs (CBD): 67.6 $/sf/yr
Source: CB Richard Ellis, Colliers International, SourcingLine, March 2010


Taxes: Corporate tax rates: 25.0 %
Source: KPMG, October 2009

(infos taken from www.sourcingline.com)

========
Thuy Nhien
Twitter: @offshoring21
FB: http://on.fb.me/offshoring21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 07:34 PM
 
13 posts, read 32,331 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuynhien View Post
Vietnam Gearing up to be Next Asian IT and Outsourcing Tiger

According to the report, Vietnam has had one of the highest rates of growth in the world second only to China’s over the last ten years, and this trend is set to continue for the time to come and this generally augurs well for the economy. That apart Vietnam has followed a highly successful policy of creating niche export markets, which could not be serviced by China. It is well positioned to do the same with IT outsourcing.

The fact that IT is the fastest growing industry in Vietnam and between 1995 and 2008 it has attracted investment from 332 overseas IT firms bringing in a total investment of US$2 billion gives one an idea of the growth trajectory. The total investment is IT is slated to touch a figure of $3.5 billion by 2013. [/font]

Source: globalservicesmedia.com
I just traveled Vietnam for 4months, in my view, Vietnam need more time to develop the high way, industry park and skilled worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
 
13 posts, read 32,331 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuynhien View Post
Hey guys

What do you think? Which asian city is the best emerging place to outsource?

========
Thuy Nhien
Twitter: @offshoring21
FB: Log In | Facebook
In my view, Chengdu, Xi'an and Chongqing of China is the best choice. Because they are supported by gov, modern industrial park, high ways, market and the most important is killed worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Reputation: 9484
Vietnam also needs enormous help with the English language. Strong, strong, strong liability. At least for any outsourcing where English needed. It seems the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and India would all be much better from that perspective.

That being said, I have been to Vietnam a few times, and there are certainly foreigners there setting up factories, etc. Met a few in the expat bars and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM
 
5 posts, read 13,348 times
Reputation: 11
@ hanwen
You're right. Vietnam needs to improve its infrastructure. There are a lot of industry parks in VN. But most of them function under 50% of their capacity.

@ Tiger Beer
English is another problem Vietnamese have to face if they want to work in the global sourcing services. Saying that English skill in other South East Asian countries better would be unfair, cause I have SEA friends too and their English is as good as my Vietnamese friend's.

What do you think about openness? I think Vietnamese, esp. in Saigon, are very open-minded.


========
Thuy Nhien
Twitter: @offshoring21
FB: http://on.fb.me/offshoring21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top