Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,358,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Joom ree up soo ma Cambodia

"One thing that I have noticed since we came here is the people are more Indian looking, the people in Vietnam have much finer features than the people in China and here they have those finer features but are darker in complexion. "
RandR100days Blog

"Sareth outlined some of the differences that we might encounter, moving from Vietnam to Cambodia. Firstly, he pointed to the looks of the Cambodian people. Many of them, particularly from the south of the country, are darker-skinned, and look more Indian, than oriental."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Some Indonesians (in the former Irian Jaya) look no different from Africans.
How ironic that they are supposed to be among the most genetically different populations from Sub-Saharan Africans? You are closer to an African than someone from that country, and if you can plainly tell they are pretty different people. Not all dark-skinned people are somehow related, just as whales are more closely related to rabbits than sharks.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:43 PM

92 posts, read 249,869 times
Yeah, dark skin =/= african.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:54 PM

29 posts, read 67,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd quickly say Korea is the most like China. The people's manners, behaviors, etc. are very similar. Quite aggressive in nature, etc.
Korea is better than China.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
RandR100days Blog

"Sareth outlined some of the differences that we might encounter, moving from Vietnam to Cambodia. Firstly, he pointed to the looks of the Cambodian people. Many of them, particularly from the south of the country, are darker-skinned, and look more Indian, than oriental."

I don't think Cambodians look Indian but rather, some of them look like Filipinos.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,722 times
I would agree with the other posters who said China is unique. But like the States, I think you would have to break it down by region to compare it to anywhere else....

Old 12-13-2011, 07:54 AM

After being in Vietnam and Thailand I was surprised by how dark some of the people look. Mostly in southern Vietnam (HCM). Some of the people here in Bangkok are as dark as the typical African American or Central Indian! I also noticed the people in northern Vietnam look more Chinese while in the south there is more of a Khmer influence.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 AM

174 posts, read 640,044 times
Taiwan like 99% minus communism. Taiwan has much more upper standard of living though I believe.
Singapore is very diverse; Chinese, Malays & Tamils. So is Malaysia.
So I believe Taiwan is the most similar, in terms of culture.
Vietnam is different culturally. They may have similar religion but Vietnamese have completely different values to the Chinese people.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Taiwan like 99% minus communism. Taiwan has much more upper standard of living though I believe.
Singapore is very diverse; Chinese, Malays & Tamils. So is Malaysia.
So I believe Taiwan is the most similar, in terms of culture.
Vietnam is different culturally. They may have similar religion but Vietnamese have completely different values to the Chinese people.
That wasn't my understanding after being there a month at least. Both have a strong Confucian tradition, worship ancestors, have a strong sense of family. How is that completely different? Vietnam was under Chinese rule for 1,000 years of it's early history.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimac20 View Post
that wasn't my understanding after being there a month at least. Both have a strong confucian tradition, worship ancestors, have a strong sense of family. How is that completely different? Vietnam was under chinese rule for 1,000 years of it's early history.
lol
Quote:
ho chi minh - wikiquote

you fools! Don't you realize what it means if the chinese remain? Don't you remember your history? The last time the chinese came, they stayed a thousand years. The french are foreigners. They are weak. Colonialism is dying. The white man is finished in asia. But if the chinese stay now, they will never go. As for me, i prefer to sniff french s$.. for five years than to eat chinese s$.. for the rest of my life.

As quoted in vietnam : A history (1983) by stanley karnow, p. 153; also in a phoenix reborn: Travels in new vietnam (2008) by andrew forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia