Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On Average Which Southeast Asian Country Do You Think Has The Best Looking Ladies ?
The Philippines 41 27.89%
Malaysia 14 9.52%
Burma 3 2.04%
Vietnam 22 14.97%
Singapore 13 8.84%
Laos 1 0.68%
Indonesia 10 6.80%
Cambodia 2 1.36%
Thailand 41 27.89%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,997,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutapong View Post
Here are Real "Thai-Chinese"

There are real "Thai-Chinese" which is even lighter+more of northeast asian features than the "Real Thai".

The real Thai are darker than Thai-Chinese but still lighter than those Cambodian/Malaysian you posted.
aside from the red shirt thai...who I believe may actually be real thais...the rest dont look much different...your going to need to further analyze the difference...some chinese can be as dark as those " real thai" you posted

Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Sources???
a highly-celebrated epic on the origins of the present-day Visayan people is about the Ten Datus of Borneo. It was said that they originated from an area occupied by the thalassocratic empire of Sri Vijaya during the early 13th century. In an attempt to escape the despotic rule of a Rajah Makatunaw and the subsequent fall of the empire, the datus, led by Datu Puti, fled eastwards to what is now the island of Panay. The island at that time was ruled by an Ati chief Marikudo who was later given a golden sadok and a necklace for his wife, Maniwantiwan, in purchase of the Borneans of Panay for new settlement.[3] It was said that the name for the inhabitants, Bisaya, was derived from their original land, Sri Vijaya.[4]

Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
majority of modern day visayans came from borneo

visayan language isnt grouped with tagalog....tagalogs dont understand visayan languages at all
its a totally different langauge to them

qouted from filipino students
Again, how did the majority come from Borneo when the languages are distantly related? Visayan is A LOT more closely related to Tagalog and every other language of the Philippines and even Northern Sulawesi than it is to any Bornean language.

Languages aren't grouped together based on mutual intelligibility. Those would be considered dialects of the same language. Languages are grouped together based on how closely they're related based on a number of factors that linguists use. Tagalog, Visayan languages, Bicol, and some other languages are grouped in the Central Philippines group, that's just one branch of the Philippine language branch, which includes other branches that have all the other languages of the Philippines, plus Northern Sulawesi languages. Then you have to go out one more level to get to the Borneo-Philippine language family. Why am I explaining this all over again? You reply "well Visayans can't understand Tagalogs" OK, well Visayans definitely can't understand native Borneans, the languages are even more distantly related.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Again, how did the majority come from Borneo when the languages are distantly related? Visayan is A LOT more closely related to Tagalog and every other language of the Philippines and even Northern Sulawesi than it is to any Bornean language.

Languages aren't grouped together based on mutual intelligibility. Those would be considered dialects of the same language. Languages are grouped together based on how closely they're related based on a number of factors that linguists use. Tagalog, Visayan languages, Bicol, and some other languages are grouped in the Central Philippines group, that's just one branch of the Philippine language branch, which includes other branches that have all the other languages of the Philippines, plus Northern Sulawesi languages. Then you have to go out one more level to get to the Borneo-Philippine language family. Why am I explaining this all over again? You reply "well Visayans can't understand Tagalogs" OK, well Visayans definitely can't understand native Borneans, the languages are even more distantly related.
actually bornean language is much closer to visayan language to the ears
especially the pronunciations....tagalog is as foreign as italian

Im not in favor of you damn hybrids trying to dictate all the other ethnic groups in the country....

Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 PM

209 posts, read 657,899 times
Quote:
well that argument wouldnt work because those real thai arent ethnic thai but jek
I think the red shirt people picture may be real thai

amongst visayans phenotypes range from malay to east asian
When did I say that the real Thai will always look the real Thai????? Sometime, There are some "Genetic drift" happen among the majority that will make some individuals turn out the have diffrent looks than the most of majority. Like I said before "Real Thai" have chance about 20-30% to "Genetic drift" and turn out to looks more Northerner or either more Southerner than the majority of them. So there will be 20% chance of "Real Thai" to turn out to have Northeast Asian (Northern Chinese/Japanese/Korean) looks. while another 20% chance to turn out to have Cambodian/Malays looks. While the Majority (60%) of the Real Thai still looks Thai, which is on the middle between Northeast Asian (Northern Chinese/Japanese/Korean) and Cambodian/Malays . "Genetic drift" could happen in all kind of heman begin.

Source of "Genetic drift" : Genetic drift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
actually bornean language is much closer to visayan language to the ears
especially the pronunciations....tagalog is as foreign as italian
I dont care about your ears. Linguists study this **** for a living and they dont have the biases that you have. You have no proof, just a stupid agenda. All you have is a legend, which I dont doubt happened, but not all, or even the majority of Visayans came from Borneans because if they did then Visayan languages would be closely grouped with Bornean languages and not languages of the Philippines. Please give me a reasonable explanation and not some BS that you thought up yourself.

And I'm not Tagalog. I'm Bicol, which is closely related to Visayan. It's basically in between Tagalog and Visayan languages, which are part of a language continuum. That continuum doesnt exist between Visayan and Bornean languages, sorry...

Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
When did I say that the real Thai will always look the real Thai????? Sometime, There are some "Genetic drift" happen among the majority that will make some individuals turn out the have diffrent looks than the most of majority. Like I said before "Real Thai" have chance about 20-30% to "Genetic drift" and turn out to looks more Northerner or either more Southerner than the majority of them. So there will be 20% chance of "Real Thai" to turn out to have Northeast Asian (Northern Chinese/Japanese) looks. while another 20% chance to turn out to have Cambodian/Malays looks. While the Majority (60%) of the Real Thai still looks Thai, which is on the middle. "Genetic drift" could happen in all kind of heman begin.

Source of "Genetic drift" : Genetic drift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
60% are the brown thais you see in the streets...

Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I dont care about your ears. Linguists study this **** for a living and they dont have the biases that you have. You have no proof, just a stupid agenda. All you have is a legend, which I dont doubt happened, but not all, or even the majority of Visayans came from Borneans because if they did then Visayan languages would be closely grouped with Bornean languages and not languages of the Philippines. Please give me a reasonable explanation and not some BS that you thought up yourself.

And I'm not Tagalog. I'm Bicol, which is closely related to Visayan. It's basically in between Tagalog and Visayan languages, which are part of a language continuum. That continuum doesnt exist between Visayan and Bornean languages, sorry...
your not visayan....so of course you wouldnt know what a language that resembles visayan languages would sound like

In the 12th century, Hindu-Animist descendants from the late empire of the Sri-Vijayan, Majapahit and Brunei,[2] By the 14th century, Arab traders and their followers venturing into the Malay Archipelago, converted some of these tribal groups into Muslims. These tribes practiced a mixture of Islam, Hinduism and native Animist beliefs. There is also some evidence of trade and immigration between other Asian people in the area as early as the 9th century. The Tumandok people of the mountainous region of Panay island are the only Visayan group to maintain pre-Hispanic Visayan culture and beliefs, due to their geographic isolation from lowland Visayan groups.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM

209 posts, read 657,899 times
Quote:
60% are the brown thais you see in the streets...

If so...that is also how Majority 60% of your Visayan looks as well then.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
your not visayan....so of course you wouldnt know what a language that resembles visayan languages would sound like

In the 12th century, Hindu-Animist descendants from the late empire of the Sri-Vijayan, Majapahit and Brunei,[2] By the 14th century, Arab traders and their followers venturing into the Malay Archipelago, converted some of these tribal groups into Muslims. These tribes practiced a mixture of Islam, Hinduism and native Animist beliefs. There is also some evidence of trade and immigration between other Asian people in the area as early as the 9th century. The Tumandok people of the mountainous region of Panay island are the only Visayan group to maintain pre-Hispanic Visayan culture and beliefs, due to their geographic isolation from lowland Visayan groups.
Where does this say that all or the majority of Visayans came from from Borneo? That's like saying that the majority of Filipinos came from Spain just because a few Spaniards took it over and made it their colony. Obviously there were already plenty of people in the Visayas and they were speaking languages related to Tagalog, and the continue to speak them today. If they came from Borneans, dont you think they would speak languages closely related to Bornean languages.???????????????

No i'm not a Visayan, but you're not a linguist so stop denying the research that they've done. I don't care what your ears hear. Your eyes are bad too, so how am I supposed to trust your ears. You dont have any sources to back you up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia