U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:20 PM

194 posts, read 947,930 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about South-Korea? Is it really true that it can be pretty racist over there. I know few people that were stationed in South-Korea and they didn't make good experiences over there.
What experiences did you make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,698 times
Exclamation yup racist

If you're from America, you shouldn't have problems. But I'm from South Africa and speak fluent English (British English). The minute they hear the word Africa, it's like a great stink went up. They treat you like a disease. Even told the parents that I can't speak English because I'm African. And told me to deny my heritage, told me speak American. Like hell!! **** them, I'm proud of my heritage!
They even told 2 of my friends to tell the students that they are Canadian and gave them tapes and books to study should a parent/student ask them.
They have no idea of the world out there and is so obsessed with making money for their next generation.
They forget that to have other countries show interest in Korea, they will have to show that interest back.
I can go on for pages, but basically there's no place for a foreigner in their hierarchy system. So they just treat you like scum. They don't think for themselves, they just follow the norm. Being ignorant, arrogant, prejudice and superficial.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:28 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,461,782 times
Default Korea

Ok I suggest we start historically. Korea the north and South, (which were one country till 50 years ago) borders China and Russia, while Japan is only overnight boat ride away. Korea has either being at war with or ruled by one of thoes coutires for almost all of the last 2000 years.
Koreans are fiercly indpendent people, they are wary of foreigners, because foreigners have historically bought nothing but war and slavery. Until recently they have taken very few immigrants, it is monocultural country which still very much sticks to its traditions.
I am white (Australian) but can coverse quite well in korean and have studied their culture. I found most koreans to be very shy, however after a smile and hello, they become more open, on a few occasions i found myslef in a complete stangers house sharing food and a soju with them. A lot of young koreans liked the opportunity to speak english to a native speaker.
One thing i never encounted was any form of racial abuse.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:01 AM

254 posts, read 1,080,216 times
South of Seoul near Pusan may be more prejudicial, but almost anyplace near an American military base is probably going to be more comfortable with foreigners. I had a great time in Korea and I would love to go back to the Seoul area. I'm hispanic and I had no problems no matter where I went anywhere between the DMZ and Osan which is south of the Seoul metropolitan area. Even though I was alone and I didn't look or speak anything like the local people, I always felt very safe using the public transportation and walking around the different communities. I loved the Seoul area the most - lots of friendly people (ladies) and lots of great bars, restaurants, and shopping. If you go to the bars near the military bases, you'll also find a lot of Filipino, Russian and other women being imported to work the customers.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,247,257 times
Chinese people I've known have been racist towards blacks in the sense that they looked down on them and have not wanted to invite them to house parties.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,386,910 times
Korean women are hawtest in all of asia, along with the filipinas

I grew up in Northern NJ were a lot of koreans have moved into

Growing up, my town was a normal Jersey town, but now too many koreans came here illegally and took over a nearby town, and are overrunning the surrounding area

But it seems to have stalled for now

So I have had plenty of dealings with koreans

I will say they are racist in general, very xenophobic, and nationalistic as well

Old 09-21-2008, 02:09 AM

72 posts, read 294,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Chinese people I've known have been racist towards blacks in the sense that they looked down on them and have not wanted to invite them to house parties.

What does that have to do with Korea?

Old 09-21-2008, 08:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,353,363 times
I served tow tours with the USAF in Korea. I, like Danielsa1775, found Koreans shy at first. But much more open & friendly once they got to know you. I felt very safe their and was able to use public transportation easily (They know you're a foreigner and will look at your bus or train ticket and point you to the right gate). Yes, Koreans tend to be monoculturalistic, but IMHO, they welcome well-behaved visitors (as would ANY country). In my experience, too many Americans (especially the military folks) tend not to stray too far into the real Korea. Many stay close to the base or the city they are visiting. The bar districts outside the U.S. bases are NOTHING like the real Korea...

Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,247,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
What does that have to do with Korea?
It's a general thing in East Asia. Koreans been the same but more polite. I was chairman of an international society and knew exactly what was going on. We had a few Japanese, who were a bit more positive. The Chinese and Korean girls would never date a black guy. They would not admit it if you asked them directly but they looked down at them. They only tolerated the blacks during events (they weren't invited to their new year I arranged, I brought them along, etc.) because they simply had to follow my orders. I have numerous examples. It was beyond any doubt.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:28 PM

266 posts, read 1,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
It's a general thing in East Asia. Koreans been the same but more polite. I was chairman of an international society and knew exactly what was going on. We had a few Japanese, who were a bit more positive. The Chinese and Korean girls would never date a black guy. They would not admit it if you asked them directly but they looked down at them. They only tolerated the blacks during events (they weren't invited to their new year I arranged, I brought them along, etc.) because they simply had to follow my orders. I have numerous examples. It was beyond any doubt.
So what? Are yous still reeling from this rejection?
Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or