Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 03:25 AM

51 posts, read 101,888 times

Advertisements

Hi all

This is probably one of the most insane things I have ever seen in my life.

What do you think?

China’s ghost cities and the biggest property bubble of all time | Grist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 06:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I've heard stories like this and witnessed it for myself. In 2006 I visited the 'Golden Resources Mall' outside Beijing at the time the biggest in the world (it seems that title has switched hands many times since) and it was eerily empty.

Why not just give away the apartment blocks to poor peasants?

Old 06-23-2012, 07:40 AM

385 posts, read 859,238 times
I've seen this in Kunming, They ( the Chinese ) were calling it " New Kunming " it's south of the "Old" Kunming and is some where around 40 or 50 apartment buildings ( all new ) standing empty, gave me the willy's

Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard stories like this and witnessed it for myself. In 2006 I visited the 'Golden Resources Mall' outside Beijing at the time the biggest in the world (it seems that title has switched hands many times since) and it was eerily empty.

Why not just give away the apartment blocks to poor peasants?
Same thing with the South China Mall in Dongguan. It was considered to be the largest mall in the world, but has failed to attract business, shoppers and tourists. About 1% of the business space is occupied. A few stores opened for business, but have since closed. It seems that a few small shops remain, but business is extremely poor. The only people who go to the mall, other than mall employees, are mostly locals drawn to the amusement park rides. The biggest downfall is that there are no airports and no highways nearby. In addition, it's located outside of the city making it inconvenient to shop for most of the locals.

Originally, the land the mall sits on was farmland. From what I can dig up about it, it was built because of China's construction boom with the idea that it would be a huge success. As stunning as it is, it's pretty evident that it was poorly planned from the start in terms of location.

New South China Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Utopia, Part 3 1/2: The World's Largest Shopping Mall - YouTube

Utopia, Part 3 2/2: The World's Largest Shopping Mall - YouTube

Ghost mall in China meets the wrecking ball. - YouTube

Old 06-23-2012, 05:58 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
I could see Hollywood making some great films about this.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 PM

183 posts, read 601,437 times
Corruption mixed with a heavily state influenced capitalist economy, where those in power want continual GDP growth by any means possible, results in this madness. Seems like a complete waste to me, especially when they won't allow the millions who need/want better housing in because they're not among the elite super wealthy in China. I found it funny that a country that still claims to be Communist acts and appears more old school capitalist in terms of economic inequality, where the very few rich have everything and everyone else struggles to survive, than their neighbors in Korea and Japan. Surprised there hasn't been a coup within their party, though I imagine all those who make it to government are so greatly corrupted at this point, they just go along with the ride.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Another look at ghost cities in China. An apartment for about $70,000 to $100,000 and a national average annual wage is about $6,000? A duplex for $300,000, 50% down on the asking price, and the balance to be paid in 3 years? There are people (wealthy) who can afford such prices, but they are very few in comparison to the general population. Many places like this remain largely unoccupied and empty.

Ghost Cities - China - YouTube

Old 06-25-2012, 07:44 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Chinese leaders, business insiders, and politicians at every level knows that China's economy needs restructuring. That's a fact that nobody disputes. But why try to change the system when you are getting fat off the profits? That's the central conundrum of what's going on in China right now.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 AM

98 posts, read 276,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJohnsson View Post
Corruption mixed with a heavily state influenced capitalist economy, where those in power want continual GDP growth by any means possible, results in this madness. Seems like a complete waste to me, especially when they won't allow the millions who need/want better housing in because they're not among the elite super wealthy in China. I found it funny that a country that still claims to be Communist acts and appears more old school capitalist in terms of economic inequality, where the very few rich have everything and everyone else struggles to survive, than their neighbors in Korea and Japan. Surprised there hasn't been a coup within their party, though I imagine all those who make it to government are so greatly corrupted at this point, they just go along with the ride.
I believe it's only a matter of time there will either be a coup or the Chinese communist party will be broken up into smaller pieces. If the true communist wing of the broken communist party gets the upper hand, those empty buildings will be filled with at least the educated class (poor/working/middle classes of society).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia