Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which are Filipinos?
Asian 91 69.47%
Hispanic/Latino 12 9.16%
Pacific Islanders/Polynesian 28 21.37%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 PM

1,760 posts, read 8,081,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
The early Filipinos are Malays. And Malays is the dominant ethnicity if you come to the Philippines. Sure they have Spanish last names, but racially they are Malays.
I read somewhere that Malays is a sub-type of Mongoloids (Asians). But there are also some studies claming Malays is a sub-type of Pacific Islanders due to the similar language of Tagalog, Cebuano, Bahasa, and many Pacific island languages.
What I was saying is that the used of the word Asians. Because people mix this as a Race but actually this is not a race or ethnicity. It's geographical Term, we would rather accept Malay as race and it doesn't mean we are not proud that we belong to Asia as part of Asian countries because we will always be Asian because that's where our country located. Most of us are Malay origin, that is why you'll see similarities with Thailand, Indonesia & Malaysia & other Pacific Islanders. Our eyes is a little bigger with Chinese, Japanese, Korea, Mongolia other Russians look like mixed with Chinese if you'll see their eyes & Kazakhstan too they look like a mix with Caucasian & East Asian because they are in the boarder between Asia and Europe. By the way, we are not the only Asians to recognized. I don't know it seems unfair to the other countries located in Asia not being recognized as Asian too just because some of them looks like caucasian like Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Yemen, Armenia & Georgia is even in Asian Map although we can absolutely call them Eurasia because they are located between the Europe & Asia and their looks are totally mix too.

Same goes with us Filipinos through our neighboring countries will eventually blend in & our weather also reflects on our features =) we are in tropical country sometimes if we don't get expose on the sun you'll get lighter

Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 PM

615 posts, read 3,195,058 times
Are Pacific Islanders originally of Malay origin?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Saying a Philippino is Asian ethnically is like saying all people from the USA can trace their ancestors to Europe. The Philippines has a broad mix of different ethnic groups and mixes along with languages. Why many Philippinos identify themselves as Asian may have more to do with Geography or perhaps pride?
lol yeah, I don't know why some people misunderstood the word Asian as Race/Ethnic hahaha it's like Europe to European but if you check each persons in Europe you'll see different races they will look like black or white or even with what they know as "Asian" look.

Asia is huge continent with different races although you can group them like they are similar with their neighboring countries. like for Example: Middle East People from West Asia, They all talk the same language "Arabic", they look the same, they have similar culture same goes with Latin America but they wanted to recognize each as different. I thought All Middle East people from West Asia are the same but they're not. The only difference with us South East Asian we don't have 1 specific language to communicate & Our culture is different but some may have similarities as of today because of our Filipino Muslims ethnic group.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Are Pacific Islanders originally of Malay origin?
It's more on Austronesian - We have ethnic groups similar with them like the Igorots of Ifugao and our almost hundred of Dialects are similar too specially the counting of numbers. There is some videos in Youtube of Austronesian people which connect us, I was surprised that the Ifugao Rice Terraces.. I thought we're the only one that have that.

Check this website because it's not allowed to copy the picture.
http://www.apat-na-alon-tribe.com/home.html (broken link)
http://www.apat-na-alon-tribe.com/tribe_members.html (broken link)

This is the connection of the Polynesian to the Filipinos
http://www.apat-na-alon-tribe.com/history.html (broken link)
You'll see different tribes

Last edited by pinai; 10-17-2011 at 11:01 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,234,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
What I was saying is that the used of the word Asians. Because people mix this as a Race but actually this is not a race or ethnicity. It's geographical Term, we would rather accept Malay as race and it doesn't mean we are not proud that we belong to Asia as part of Asian countries because we will always be Asian because that's where our country located. Most of us are Malay origin, that is why you'll see similarities with Thailand, Indonesia & Malaysia & other Pacific Islanders. Our eyes is a little bigger with Chinese, Japanese, Korea, Mongolia other Russians look like mixed with Chinese if you'll see their eyes & Kazakhstan too they look like a mix with Caucasian & East Asian because they are in the boarder between Asia and Europe. By the way, we are not the only Asians to recognized. I don't know it seems unfair to the other countries located in Asia not being recognized as Asian too just because some of them looks like caucasian like Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Yemen, Armenia & Georgia is even in Asian Map although we can absolutely call them Eurasia because they are located between the Europe & Asia and their looks are totally mix too.
I am not sure what you are talking about..
These are Tadzhiks ( they look more like Afghanis or probably Indians?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-olMP...eature=related

These are Uzbeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwkm1...eature=related

and these are Kazahs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWVAPInk8rM

Of course they are all Asians, although some have more Mongoloid look ( Kazahs and Turkmens as far as I remember) than for example Tadzhiks.
(All these cultures have been Russified of course to a certain degree as in case with Caucasus, but that's a different story....)

PS.Russians do not look like "mix with Chinese" either, unless they have Tatar admixture ( or of other indigenous people of Siberia...)

Old 10-18-2011, 12:23 AM

Are the original population of Taiwan also Austronesian? I have seen some sources state that they are the ancestors of the Malay people.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Are the original population of Taiwan also Austronesian? I have seen some sources state that they are the ancestors of the Malay people.
Taiwan was a colonized country too by China so you'll see a lot of them look like Chinese

Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about..
These are Tadzhiks ( they look more like Afghanis or probably Indians?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-olMP...eature=related

These are Uzbeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwkm1...eature=related

and these are Kazahs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWVAPInk8rM

Of course they are all Asians, although some have more Mongoloid look ( Kazahs and Turkmens as far as I remember) than for example Tadzhiks.
(All these cultures have been Russified of course to a certain degree as in case with Caucasus, but that's a different story....)

PS.Russians do not look like "mix with Chinese" either, unless they have Tatar admixture ( or of other indigenous people of Siberia...)
Here the Asian Winter Games in Kazakhstan. Shows different people..but ASIAN was only tagged to us as a people and these people are part of Asian Games all the time.
Afghanistan & India is Asians as well. India is similar with Pakistan look. I read more than half or Russia is part Asia and the rest is European Union.

What I wanted to explain that Asian is more categorized as Geographical Term not a race because we all have different races/ethnicity as individual. people keep on using it as a race/ethnicity.

Last edited by pinai; 10-18-2011 at 01:00 AM..

Old 10-18-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Taiwan was a colonized country too by China so you'll see a lot of them look like Chinese
I mean the indigenous population of Taiwan, not the Chinese living there.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 AM

People of Central Asia

Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Xinjiang

Example: Beauties from Asia

But i think the russian one that was shown is from Eastern Russia which is
Part of European Union because the western part of Russia is the one in Asia..

Last edited by pinai; 10-18-2011 at 01:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia