Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which are Filipinos?
Asian 91 69.47%
Hispanic/Latino 12 9.16%
Pacific Islanders/Polynesian 28 21.37%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 PM

463 posts, read 1,129,428 times

Advertisements

I would define them as Spanish-influenced South-East Asians. Compared to for example Indonesians who are Indian influenced South-East Asians.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:59 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Asian, because they are from Asia. It's like saying Mongolians are European because they border Russia.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:34 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
asian

Old 07-20-2011, 08:34 AM

147 posts, read 213,485 times
Geographically, the Philippines is in Asia. I identify as Asian for that reason if I really have to choose. Like someone said before, Filipinos are of Malay and Indo stock and mixed with Chinese and Spanish blood. There are a lot of Spanish influences in the country (eg names, religion) due to Spain's 300-year occupancy in the islands.

I took a class a few years ago with a lot of Filipinos. An American classmate told me, "It's funny how you all are Filipinos. You all look different from each other."

Old 07-20-2011, 02:37 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
^ Actually, Filipinos are descended from Taiwanese Aborigines. They traveled through the Philippines then into Indonesia & Malaysia. So it's wrong to say that Filipinos came from Indos/Malays when it's the other way around. From Indonesia & Malaysia, they traveled further out to Micronesia & Polynesia.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 PM

774 posts, read 1,856,559 times
Default This is vey wrong

This is very wrong.
Has anyone researched who these "Taiwanese Aborigines", indigenous Indonesians, Malays, and Pacific Islanders were??

In today's terms, those people are called, "Negritos" (Negroes). They are pictured as "small black people who Spanish and European sailors labeled as "pygmy-like". Descendents of these people also settled Fiji, Papua New Guinea, and countries starting from Madagascar up to the Hawaiian Islands. (Negrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

In terms of language and personality, Filipinos are most closest to Indonesians and Polynesians. They are in fact, Pacific Islanders.

Geographically, the Philippines may be located in the area we call Asia, but there is very little that can be associated with the culture being "Asian." Cultural anthropologist take in everything when classifying a who and what a people are. Religion, food, language, and ethnic background top the list.

1.) Filipinos are largely Catholic... not Buddhist or Taoist, or Hindus or Sikhs.
2.) Filipinos commonly have Spanish and Mexican last names.
3.) Their diets combine all the influences of their past like the Mexican diet
4.) Cultural mannerisms and aggressiveness speak more to Pacific Island traits rather than "Asian" personalities.

If you went to Africa today and saw three older black men sitting and talking, all with the same skin tone and similar features, you'd most likely say, "all three of these men are 'African.'" But that is not how THEY see it… and the way they see culture is far older. One will tell you that he is a Muslim. (And his cultural morays, language, religion, history, dress, and diet reflect that.) The other will tell you he is a Moor (and his background reflects that.) The next will tell you he is a Jew, and his name, history, religion, cultural beliefs, and family history reflect that too. A fourth man may later join him and he will tell you, “I am African” because his tribal history, diet, language, religion and traditions make it so.

That is why Filipinos are not, "Asian" even though most LOOK like it to the Westernized eye.

In the final analysis, Filipinos are human beings.
There is only one "race" of humans... otherwise we couldn't procreate with each other. (Elephants and tigers do not have babies together.)

In order to set this silly issue to rest, visit: "The Journey of Man" (both a documentary film and a book) created by esteemed geneticist, Dr. Spensor Wells. Dr. Wells took DNA samples of people from all over the planet and traced genetic markers backwards to discover where man started from and the routes "man" took to people the world. (Ironically, it wasn't even a "man" who is the oldest human being found. It was a woman... which answers the question, "which came first... the chicken or the egg?"

(The egg had to be parented ... so... everyone has to say, "hi" tomorrow to all of our one, African mother.)

In that study, he answers how people who are in the Phillipines, got there.

Oh ... and guess what?
Many educated Japanese even consider themselves to be Pacific Islanders. "We're a mixture" many Japanese have told me. So relax and be happy and proud of being who you are.

Last edited by veganwriter; 07-20-2011 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: bullet points are wrong

Old 07-20-2011, 09:51 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
When you have 7000+ islands all sitting in the Pacific Ocean....

It's pretty easy to conclude that...hey, we must be Pacific Islanders...

Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Are they really latinos?
I've never defined myself nor have I met any Filipinos who define themselves as Hispanic or Latino, even those with Spanish blood, such as myself. My ancestry is Chinese, Spanish, Filipino and Irish. Dominant gene is Chinese though a Chinese person will tell me I look mixed. Despite the gringo blood and spanish as one of the languages we spoke at home since granny only spoke spanish, i classify myself as Asian.

And I find it amusing when putis try to tell me what I am supposed to be.

Last edited by minibrings; 07-20-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 11:16 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
In Spain, Filipinos are considered Hispanic. As Hispanic as Latin Americans and Sephardic Jews.
They qualify for Spanish citizensip after living two years legally in Spain, 10 years for non-Hispanics.
Some Filipinos here are either from Spanish stock or mixed.
There was a large Spanish population in the Phillipines, but Japanese exterminated them.
Many high class Filipinos speak Spanish.
Tagalog has many Spanish word and many Filipinos speak Chabacano, some sort of Spanish pidgin.
Their food and culture is influenced by Spanish culture.
The US tried to remove all Spanish influence after they took the Phyllipines from Spain in 1898.
They may be Hispanic in Spain but not in the Philippines. Estamos asianos. The food was influenced by Chinese, Malay, Mexican, Spanish and American cultures.
one could argue they have closer ties to Mexico than Spain since they were ruled via Mexico. Actually according to Wiki there are 200,000 Mexicans with filioino heritage and that Mexican immigration law grants special status to filipinos. Betwen 1970-2005, 100,000 filipinos moved to mexico. (IF you can trust wiki)

Last edited by minibrings; 07-20-2011 at 11:35 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 AM

38,863 posts, read 22,849,388 times
My parents are from the Philippines and they consider themselves Filipinos first, then Asians. Technically speaking, the Philippines could be considered both an Asian country and a Pacific island country. I've also seen the category "Asian/Pacific Islander" in ethnic surveys. So, who really knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia