Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:04 AM

2 posts, read 94,474 times

Advertisements

I saw another question like this except it was asking what Canadians think of Americans. I've always been curious about Japan and have an intense obsession with it but I have never been able to find out what the majority of native Japanese people think of Americans. I suspect I'll find out when I go there but my curiosity demands to be fulfilled or at least somewhat sated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 04:03 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Majority of Japanese like Americans, especially the younger generation. Only the older generation (the ones who were alive during WW2) are the ones who have a negative view towards Americans. The younger generations have always been wanting to keep up with American culture and imitate them. Now with sites like YouTube, it has gotten even easier. A lot of Japanese like a specific American sub-culture, whether it be the urban hip-hop culture or the California beach/surfer culture. Not too many of them are into the Southern country culture though. Also, many Japanese girls love to date American guys, although they stick to one particular race (black or white, rarely both). I think Japanese guys like American girls too, especially the blonde ones, as long as they are in shape.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
My sister lives there and seems to indicate they mostly like Americans. Although they're a bit closed off when it comes to anyone wanting to be there permanent.

Also she says if you're a Filipino-American woman you should play down, or just not mention, the Filipino part of the equation. That if you tell a Japanese guy, in a hotel or airport, that you're "Filipino" he'll take that as meaning "I'm a hooker." (Or at least take it as meaning the woman is likely a hooker) I think generally speaking Asian-Americans in Japan can have a bit harder a time with it, unless they can speak or sing fluent Japanese. (There's been several Japanese-American who had singing careers there) The Japanese have a tendency to feel Asians should "know" certain things and if they don't it can be hard. Or maybe it's just that it confuses them. It's a fairly homogenous society so seeing a Japanese-looking person they may expect they'll be Japanese and get confused if they're not. Still I got the sense many of them still look down on people from Southeast Asia in a less innocent way. Maybe similar to the way some Americans view Mexicans or Hondurans.

Still everything I've heard from her, and elsewhere, they're pretty positive on the US and Americans.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
I'm a 6'3 guy with dark blond hair and blue eyes and i have been to Tokyo twice (last October & May), if you don't act like a idiot you will be fine.

Shinjuku can be racist tho, a lot of nightclubs over there are for Japanese only. They even had some signs up there "No Foreigners Allowed".
I felt like some people act like they don't understand a word of English you know that "Learn our language or get out of here mentality" a lil bit especially the older ones.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 94,474 times
If the younger generation has such a desire to imitate Americans and our culture then does that mean they don't particularly like or value their own culture? Wouldn't wanting to imitate Americans seem to suggest that they aren't proud to be Japanese?

Old 08-20-2011, 02:42 PM

221 posts, read 656,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_x09ajustice View Post
If the younger generation has such a desire to imitate Americans and our culture then does that mean they don't particularly like or value their own culture? Wouldn't wanting to imitate Americans seem to suggest that they aren't proud to be Japanese?
Pretty much all popular coutnries in the developed world imitate american culture. Middle eastern immigrants in Denmark/europe? imitate black american culture alot!!! Hip hops clothes and rap music!!

Now they are muslims most of them and they don't convert to Christianity for the sake of imitating americans.
It is really only in the popular culture front that people imitate americans....

People listen to american mainstream music, tv shows and film, but that doesnt mean they abandon their own culture.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_x09ajustice View Post
I saw another question like this except it was asking what Canadians think of Americans. I've always been curious about Japan and have an intense obsession with it but I have never been able to find out what the majority of native Japanese people think of Americans. I suspect I'll find out when I go there but my curiosity demands to be fulfilled or at least somewhat sated.
I live in Japan, and I'm American.

Japanese keep most things to themselves, but I've had all positive experiences based on my nationality.

Some Japanese absolutely love USA - just like some Americans love Japan, others are indifferent, etc. Depends on the person with how much or how little interested they are in the U.S.

But, you certainly wouldn't arrive in Japan, and feel mostly negative. If you came to Japan, and hung around a bunch of Canadians, you'd quickly get the anti-American vibe, but you wouldn't get that from the Japanese at all.

(I don't know what your experience is with Canadians and that question, but usually as an expat, I find the Canadians have the strongest Anti-American sentiment. Usually because they perceive American politics as negative internationally, and are trying to distance themselves. But perhaps in Canada, they might have a more positive view. Not sure).

Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
All Japanese are native Japanese. If you are a 3rd generation Korean, you are a Korean, not Japanese. Japan is different that way.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
I will echo what others have said here, and add a little twist.

In general, if you are a tourist, they will welcome you so long as you don't make a ruckus and don't expect everyone to speak English and don't act rude according to their customs (i.e., talking on the bus, talking loudly, cutting in line / not standing in line, etc).

Don't be put off if you do find a club that says "No Foreigners Allowed" ... it is usually because of a bad experience they had with a foreigner in the past. The most common example I hear is a drunk American, European, or Russian came in and caused a scene because not all drunks are happy or sleepy drunks, and well, sorta ruins it for everyone.

Don't be tempted to cut in line or rush a bus because it is leaving and there's space ... wait patiently in line. You will reap rewards of not being shunned later. Don't eat on the train if it is a commuter train (i.e. if you don't have a tray to eat on ... if you do, it's customary to bring three days worth of food and eat it all ... but make sure you don't leave a mess).

Basically act with manners and be mild, you know, how our grandparents told us to act long ago.

If you do that you will be fine. On top of that, people will, in general, like Americans. It's a nation of 120 million people so you're going to get a range of opinions naturally, even a nationalist march if you're lucky. But this is no different from elsewhere in the world, and usually much less violent (see the recent horror in Oslo). And even if you do run into someone who is nationalistic (I haven't in my travels there), just ignore them.

If someone tries talking to you in English as a result of your being white, don't be afraid to indulge them a little bit, especially if they just helped you find directions.

I dunno, I find traveling in Japan to be no different than in most other countries and in many ways safer (don't need to keep your wits about you there usually). Just be cool, be observant, and don't be rude to the best of your abilities. You don't have to worry about being treated like an outcast. You may just end up being treated like royalty (if you're a handsome man or a blonde haired, blue eyed woman).

I will add on here and say if you will be staying long term, expect to see things a little differently. This can be summarized by this blog: http://1000thingsaboutjapan.blogspot.com

You can also check out the YouTube channel for JapanChanneldcom and see this guy's musings and observations about living in Japan.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:32 PM

76 posts, read 394,455 times
Follow the customs and you'll be fine. I've yet to meet anyone who was hostile to me because I was an American, but mostly it was because I followed and respected their customs.

In fact, I've been mistaken as Japanese many times. Quite funny if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia