Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Definitely China.

They are all definitely Asian, but China is just so massive, and such a world to their own.
But then, you posted on the other thread("Your Opinion of Life in Seoul") that life in Korea felt the most foreign to you.

So..if that's the case, what made you feel China to be the least westernized asian nation among the listed countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 09:16 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Definitely China.

They are all definitely Asian, but China is just so massive, and such a world to their own.
I have only been to China of those mentioned, but a previous post about there being more gender equality in China vs Japan makes me think the Japanese are still pretty fuedal in their ways. Their social structure sounds almost as traditional as that of the Middle East, despite their high-tech image.

I suppose my original question was asking more about how different the individual people - who make up the society - are to the West, most specifically the English-speaking west - and from my research the Chinese people seem more 'Western thinking' than the Japanese.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Which of these do you think is the least westernized among the northeast asian countries then?

China
South Korea
Japan
Taiwan
GDP per capita might shed light:

China - $8300
South Korea - $31,000
Japan - $35,000
Taiwan - $37,000
Western countries overall- ~ $40,000

One of these is not like the others.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:05 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
I was talking to some guy who was an amateur expert on Okinawa, where he had lived for many years. He said that they and the Japanese are two very different and distinct cultures, and that the Okinawans really didn't like the Japanese, who would come in and try to teach them their strict ways - for example bowing was very complex according to social status, and was actually done to certain number of degrees - a boss or social superior might bow only 10 degrees for example, while a subordinate would be required to bow 22 degrees (or something like that, I don't remember the exact numbers).

He said Okinawans are much more relaxed - more like Americans, and just don't cooperate much with that sort of thing.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
But then, you posted on the other thread("Your Opinion of Life in Seoul") that life in Korea felt the most foreign to you.

So..if that's the case, what made you feel China to be the least westernized asian nation among the listed countries?
They're both quite 'foreign'.

I just know Korea so much better than anywhere else I lived in including Japan.

China and Korea had a ton of similarities. Tons.

If I were to think in 'least westernized', I guess I was thinking of 'exposure to westerners'. Koreans just have a higher cost of living, and seem to get around a lot more.

China just has tons and tons and tons of Chinese absolutely everywhere, even now, that act like they've never ever seen a white person before in their entire life.

Korea use to be like that when I first went in 1996, but now, Koreans are use to white people being all over the place.

China still doesn't.

Both seem pretty 'foreign' to me though....Chinese also have very little English whatsoever.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
China just has tons and tons and tons of Chinese absolutely everywhere, even now, that act like they've never ever seen a white person before in their entire life.
Actually the Chinese act like they have never seen a black person (especially when the black person is together with a white person).

Old 10-26-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually the Chinese act like they have never seen a black person (especially when the black person is together with a white person).
This is not unique to the Chinese. Living in America or Australia you forget most of the world is made up of pretty homogenous ethnic groups living side by side. A Chinese person in some village in the Congo would be treated the same; with curiosity.

And that's because many Chinese people have never seen a black person.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is not unique to the Chinese. Living in America or Australia you forget most of the world is made up of pretty homogenous ethnic groups living side by side. A Chinese person in some village in the Congo would be treated the same; with curiosity.

Except in an NBA broadcast perhaps. After all, Basketball is HUGE in China!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Except in an NBA broadcast perhaps. After all, Basketball is HUGE in China!
In real life, I mean. Apart from a basketball player who played for the NBL, the first time I met an African American person was in America. Most black people here (in Oz) are from Africa.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:10 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

What was more interesting was when i was in Spain on vacation. One of my friends who travelled with me asked the waiter his name. The waiter replied and asked my friend(Chinese-American) his name. My friend replied with "Roberto". The waiter gave him a strange puzzled look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia