Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:21 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,600,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Lets explore that comment a little further.....stray dogs kill no doubts about that but why? India is truly a democracy and religion plays a huge role in the day to day lives of ordinary ppl. Killing animals is looked down upon in general and PETA is quite powerful in India. Also, there are many, many animal lovers in India. Many, many times there is a vote to kill the stray animals and many times the vote fails due to a variety of reasons. Also, in some cities where the vote is actually passed and enacted, animal control is a private company which becomes quite corrupt. If they nip the problem quickly, then there is no paycheck afterwards. So, to ensure that a continous income, these contracted companies do not complete their job properly on purpose. Mexico, not a chance with the drug problem. its too embeded into the country. It will take a long time to rid that influence. I place my bet on Chile first. it has been growing at 26% per year for over 10 yrs! Its smaller population, will undboutedly allow it to prosper quicker than Brazil, China, and India. Brazil is a up and coming heavy weight. India has many problems but look at this perspective. With the insitutionalized corruption that is ingrained in the bureacracy over there, it is growing quite fast for 20 yrs with the last 10 yrs close to double digit growth. Will it be first world in 10 yrs. NO. The end of the decade, yes but it has to deal with its problems. People are getting smarter and its a great time to invest and watch your money grow much, much faster than any 1st world nation.
I see, but if they don't want to kill the animals they should at least invest in vaccination campaigns. As for Mexico, it's true that it has a drug problem which is mainly concentrated in the Northern states, but that hasn't stopped the development of the country. It's economy is growing 4-6% each year (some American companies are even expanding business there; and the US economy has been growing at a slower rate than Mexico's), education is also available to more people and it has low unemployment (4.8%). I believe I read an article that by 2020 Mexico would be the 8th richest country in the world. I mentioned Brazil since I read that it had the largest economy in Latin America, which is promising if they use it wisely in the next 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 15,163 times
So maybe Haiti, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Cambodia, and most of the Middle Eastern and African countries will not develop in my lifetime. Ghana's economy in Africa is doing pretty good, so when will they become a developed country.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:15 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
the stray dog problem [India] has which results in the death of 21,000 people a year from Rabies,.
That number if probably in the same ballpark with the number of Americans who die in prison every year. Or the number of homcides in America every year. Or the number of Americans who die in accidents or incidents directly related to excessive alcohol consumption. It's probably a tiny fraction of the number of Americans whose life is shortened by decades by obesity. None of those are problems in India. That number is double the number of HIV-related deaths in India, which is not a problem there, either.

All countries have problems that could be resolved with sufficient dedicated effort, significantly reducing mortality. You can't just sweep your own country's unaddressed but lethal problems under the carpet and then castigate other countries for their own.

India's cultural traditions reduce, literally by tens of millions, the number of deaths that in America would be expected from alcohol, obesity, permissive sexuality, and rampant incarceration as the knee-jerk solution to every outlier.

Think of somebody in India, observing that the USA can never become a developed country, they can't even reduce their 500,000 rapes every year. India averages 15,000 rapes a year.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-04-2011 at 04:37 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 06:20 PM

9,917 posts, read 14,779,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dafuture View Post
So maybe Haiti, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Cambodia, and most of the Middle Eastern and African countries will not develop in my lifetime. Ghana's economy in Africa is doing pretty good, so when will they become a developed country.
Take the country's economic growth rate and divide it by 72, the result will be the number of years it would take for the country's GDP to double, assuming the growth rate remains steady. Usually, countries with per capita GDP of $20,000 or more US dollars tend to be quite well developed.

Of course, what truly matters is not how much a country grows in one or a few years, but the average growth rate over the long haul (usually measured per decade). The reason for this is because economies tend to function in cycles.

Some countries are good at maintaining a steady high growth rate over long periods of time, while other countries tend to have short but intense booms followed by short and intense busts. Both type of countries can have a similar average growth rate over the same long term period, this is why using one year or a few years growth rate could be misleading. So, be careful with those linear projections.

As for countries like Afghanistan or Haiti being developed? Not anytime soon. The Haitian case is probably the most interesting, since it borders the Dominican Republic; ironically, the country that has had the fastest growth rate in all of Latin America for the past half century. In 1950, both countries were equal on per capita GDP and overall development, today the difference is huge between the two, and the gap widening by the year.

Another interesting case is Equatorial Guinea in Western Africa. This country was one of the poorest in the world, then they discovered oil and in the last few years has seen its per capita GDP skyrocket, making it one of the richest countries on Earth. Of course, the country still lags behind much of the World in social indicators such as health, education, poverty, etc; but the government is investing its newly found wealth in improving those aspects and develop that tiny country. In a way, Equatorial Guinea is in the same position that Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Kuwait was in the 1960s, with most people living in horrible conditions and then they found substantial oil and in a few decades, the countries are unrecognizable with a widespread sumptuous lifestyle.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:34 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,600,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That number if probably in the same ballpark with the number of Americans who die in prison every year. Or the number of homcides in America every year. Or the number of Americans who die in accidents or incidents directly related to excessive alcohol consumption. It's probably a tiny fraction of the number of Americans whose life is shortened by decades by obesity. None of those are problems in India. That number is double the number of HIV-related deaths in India, which is not a problem there, either.

All countries have problems that could be resolved with sufficient dedicated effort, significantly reducing mortality. You can't just sweep your own country's unaddressed but lethal problems under the carpet and then castigate other countries for their own.

India's cultural traditions reduce, literally by tens of millions, the number of deaths that in America would be expected from alcohol, obesity, permissive sexuality, and rampant incarceration as the knee-jerk solution to every outlier.

Think of somebody in India, observing that the USA can never become a developed country, they can't even reduce their 500,000 rapes every year. India averages 15,000 rapes a year.
All countries have issues, the stray dogs was one issue I knew for sure from that country and I decided to use it as an example as it can easily be solved even Mexico got rid of the problem in the 90s (which also included a vaccination campaign). Also, I never said India would not become first world; I simply said I don't think it could do it within the next 10 years. No country is perfect but you have to admit that India's problems are far more critical than the ones in the U.S. Also, how can you compare rapists to stray dogs? You can't tell who's a rapist while stray dogs are easily visible and can be taken off the streets or given vaccinations quite easily.

Also, you exaggerated with those stats in regards to rape, HIV/AIDS and prisoners dying, the numbers are far less. India also has crime issues that range from:

arms trafficking
illegal drugs
corruption in every level
pouching
rape - some claim that many cases go unreported as there's a stigma attached to it
domestic abuse against women (higher incidence in lower classes) - they barely enacted a law that protected women in 2006

Not sure where you got the idea that their cultural traditions can keep these things out. Where there is massive poverty you are likely to find these issues. They also have problems with infectious diseases such as Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Malaria, Japanese Encephalitis, Rabies, etc

Also, despite the U.S. having obesity or overweight problems our life expectancy is still around 80 years (In India it's 64), so despite the issues we have we can still expect a better quality of life and not only in health.

Last edited by Canaan-84; 09-04-2011 at 09:53 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 AM

230 posts, read 903,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post

Another interesting case is Equatorial Guinea in Western Africa. This country was one of the poorest in the world, then they discovered oil and in the last few years has seen its per capita GDP skyrocket, making it one of the richest countries on Earth. Of course, the country still lags behind much of the World in social indicators such as health, education, poverty, etc; but the government is investing its newly found wealth in improving those aspects and develop that tiny country. In a way, Equatorial Guinea is in the same position that Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Kuwait was in the 1960s, with most people living in horrible conditions and then they found substantial oil and in a few decades, the countries are unrecognizable with a widespread sumptuous lifestyle.
Really? I have friends who work there in the oil industry and they say all the wealth is going to a few thousand people who are connected to the dictator. None of the money goes to educate the populace. Everybody knows this but as long as the oil keeps flowing nobody is going to do anything.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:33 PM

276 posts, read 761,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dafuture View Post
I mean China, India are on the verge of becoming developed countries.
India has a GDP per capita of US$ 1,000 and more poor people than the whole of Africa, that's a long way from being a developed country.

Just because a country has over a billion people and becomes a superpower due to sheer size doesn't mean it is anything close to developed by rich Western standards.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:41 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,506,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I wouldn;t trust facts and figure too much. There is a huge middle class, equivalent to the entire population of the US.
India has over a billion people as I recall. If it had a "middle class the size of population of the US", with the number of "rich" people equaling the population of France, that would still be like 600 to 800 million poor people.

Anyway as for the countries named they'll probably be comparatively underdeveloped for a long time. As mentioned as they develop the developed nations will just advance further keep them behind. If you mean "when will they reach the level of development we have now" it depends. Some of the "least developed nations" are improving, even in Africa Liberia looks better than in 2005 and Benin better than in 1989, but not all are doing so. I was thinking Haiti and Afghanistan were among those relatively stagnant. Although looking it up Afghanistan did experience some improvement on the UN HDI from 2005 to 2010.

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP

If the rates of development Afghanistan and the US experienced in those five years continues unabated than Afghanistan will equal the US in the year 2089. (Assuming I did the math right) It will catch-up with Latvia, going by their rates of development from 2005-2010, around 2061. I'm not saying I think that will happen though because a high point-scale improvement at the lower-end is plausibly not something that can be maintained indefinitely.

They list Haiti as fairly stagnant though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia