Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

DAMMAM, Saudi Arabia, Sept. 14 (UPI) -- A restaurant owner in Saudi Arabia says he is cracking down on food wastage by fining diners who don't eat everything they order.

Fahad al Anezi, of Dammam, said customers often order a large quantity of food as a status symbol at his establishment, the Marmar Restaurant, the (United Arab Emirates) Gulf News reported Wednesday.

Read more: Restaurant fines diners for leftovers - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DAMMAM, Saudi Arabia, Sept. 14 (UPI) -- A restaurant owner in Saudi Arabia says he is cracking down on food wastage by fining diners who don't eat everything they order.

Fahad al Anezi, of Dammam, said customers often order a large quantity of food as a status symbol at his establishment, the Marmar Restaurant, the (United Arab Emirates) Gulf News reported Wednesday.

Read more: Restaurant fines diners for leftovers - UPI.com
Great Idea ! he should encourage diners to donate the cost of 'ordered but undelivered' food to famine relief charities......

There used to be an Indian restaurant I went to when I was in the UK that had a buffet lunch. You had to pay more if you left anything more than a 'taste' on you plate. It was a great idea. It certainly stopped people piling food on their plates that they never ate.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Just for clarification, The UAE is not in Saudi Arabia.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
does anyone think it is ?? Surely most people see maps of the middle east more than they would like?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Mom always said to clean up your plate!

Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The newspaper was based in the UAE but the restaurant was in Saudi Arabia.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Good for them. America should do it, too. The average American throws away 240 pounds of edible food a year from his kitchen alone, and twice that much gets wasted before it even reaches the checkout. Americans waste enough food to feed a country with 80-million people

Europe (200 lb)
North America and Oceania (240 lb)
Industrialized Asia (180 lb)
Subsaharan Africa (11 lb)
North Africa, West and Central Asia (77 lb)
South and Southeast Asia (33 lb)
Latin America (55 lb)

If Americans reduced just their thrown away kitchen leftovers by 10%, there would be enough food saved to provide all of Somalia with a diet equal to our own. Not that we'd ever "give" even our scraps to anyone poor and hungry, but just sayin'.

By the way, there are buffet style restaurants in the USA that have signs up that they reserve the right to charge extra for food taken but not eaten. So the Saudis are not the only cruel and heartless bastards making life miserable for pompous wastrels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
does anyone think it is ?? Surely most people see maps of the middle east more than they would like?
I bet 90% of all Americans cannot point to Saudi Arabia on an outline map, and 99% cannot find UAE. nor even know which continent to look on. A third of all Americans cannot find the USA on a globe.

Just for more clarification, Dammam is in Saudi Arabia, but the supermarket tabloid where some hack in London found the news story is published in UAE. That's how the news business works, and how Americans get their "knowledge" of all the important things that are going on in global dynamics. Scattered around the world are places like Dubai which have an English language tabloid, and they pick up odd stories from neighboring countries, neither of which has any journalistic integrity whatsoever, and facts are never checked. London tabloids have an intern who scans those papers looking for the kind of stuff that will catch the eye, and reprint the story, and sooner or later, an American editor, looking for what is called a "kicker", picks up it up and puts in the corner of an interior page. And then Fox and Friends see it and fill in all the edges with a bunch of wild speculation about what can be expected from those crazy Ay-rabs. And now Americans know all they need to know about the world to make sound choices about the men who form foreign affairs policy, and which countries' civilians deserve shock and awe for piling too much tabbouleh on their plates.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-16-2011 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Good for them. America should do it, too. The average American throws away 240 pounds of edible food a year from his kitchen alone, and twice that much gets wasted before it even reaches the checkout. Americans waste enough food to feed a country with 80-million people

Europe (200 lb)
North America and Oceania (240 lb)
Industrialized Asia (180 lb)
Subsaharan Africa (11 lb)
North Africa, West and Central Asia (77 lb)
South and Southeast Asia (33 lb)
Latin America (55 lb)

If Americans reduced just their thrown away kitchen leftovers by 10%, there would be enough food saved to provide all of Somalia with a diet equal to our own. Not that we'd ever "give" even our scraps to anyone poor and hungry, but just sayin'.

By the way, there are buffet style restaurants in the USA that have signs up that they reserve the right to charge extra for food taken but not eaten. So the Saudis are not the only cruel and heartless bastards making life miserable for pompous wastrels.

I bet 90% of all Americans cannot point to Saudi Arabia on an outline map, and 99% cannot find UAE. nor even know which continent to look on. A third of all Americans cannot find the USA on a globe.

Just for more clarification, Dammam is in Saudi Arabia, but the supermarket tabloid where some hack in London found the news story is published in UAE. That's how the news business works, and how Americans get their "knowledge" of all the important things that are going on in global dynamics. Scattered around the world are places like Dubai which have an English language tabloid, and they pick up odd stories from neighboring countries, neither of which has any journalistic integrity whatsoever, and facts are never checked. London tabloids have an intern who scans those papers looking for the kind of stuff that will catch the eye, and reprint the story, and sooner or later, an American editor, looking for what is called a "kicker", picks up it up and puts in the corner of an interior page. And then Fox and Friends see it and fill in all the edges with a bunch of wild speculation about what can be expected from those crazy Ay-rabs. And now Americans know all they need to know about the world to make sound choices about the men who form foreign affairs policy, and which countries' civilians deserve shock and awe for piling too much tabbouleh on their plates.
Unfortunately you are probably right. Its just that I feel we constantly see maps of these areas because there is so much unrest and always something in the news..... and If I knew someone who was going to the middle east to serve for the country I'd damm well want to know where it was.......

On the food note I regularly ask for half portions and make it clear I will still pay the regular price - I get looked at like I am completely mad.....I just hate throwing food away. I only ever do take out of curry where I over order on purpose The thought of eating left over pasta etc reheated the following day is really unappealing.

I do wonder how much food that is carried out here ever gets eaten.....I often wonder if people take home food because they have paid for it... not because they want it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia