Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 PM

174 posts, read 639,958 times

Advertisements

Sadly the child has died after a week in the hospital. The parents have filed crime charges to the 2 drivers, and the drivers were already arrested. They also condemned the many people who only passed by their daughter. It is also said, one of the reasons why people didn't helped is because, they were scared to be pressed charges for helping. There was a case in China were a person was pressed charges for helping a man from an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 08:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This is indeed a horrible story, but I would be very careful with statements like this.
We know enough stories about neglected kids in Western society, and in the US alone...
But if a toddler was ran over in say London people would probably be screaming and helping the toddler and crying..

Last edited by Vichel; 10-22-2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 10:32 AM

4,151 posts, read 4,169,267 times
This is a problem with government policy. It is the one child policy that is the problem. Sure you can have the second child of you can afford it. I was told that government going to fine you quarter million for each additional child. You have to understand Chinese is favorable to boy to carry on their family name.

Because of the gentle prefer, it is very common for parents to give up the daughter so they can try again.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:14 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Sadly the child has died after a week in the hospital. The parents have filed crime charges to the 2 drivers, and the drivers were already arrested. They also condemned the many people who only passed by their daughter. It is also said, one of the reasons why people didn't helped is because, they were scared to be pressed charges for helping. There was a case in China were a person was pressed charges for helping a man from an accident.

I love Asian culture, including Chinese. Current China though; can just take a nose dive to hell.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:19 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
this type of thing is not unique to China but very common in India as well... there is a complete apathy towards the problems of others in these societies simply due to the "everyone for themselves" attitude.

The video is absolutely shocking and highlights the very worst of human nature.

Edit: I must add some things I saw when I was traveling in the UK - once when I was standing at a bus stop an elderly guy just dropped (I think he had a heart attack), there was a immediate response from all the people around him, someone dialed emergency, ambulance came and took him away. In another instance here at Los Angeles airport a guy was in a wheelchair which struck the embankment and he fell off into the road...people came running from all corners to help him even before I could realize what had happened, all I can say is that I am proud to live in a society such as this where helping others even before yourself is inculcated into the culture.

Last edited by k374; 10-22-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 01:36 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seacreature99 View Post
Unfortunately this is the state the world is in! It's the same everywhere.
A lot of people are absolutely horrid nowadays, completely heartless and selfish. All they care about is themselves, money and posessions.

There have been similar cases in the UK of people being run over and left in the road while people drive around them. Admittedly not children, but still horrendous.

Apparently in Russia homeless people have died of the cold on park benches and just been left lying there until the spring when they thaw out and start decaying (and then start 'bothering' others).

I sometimes think there's no hope whatsoever for the world!
But Russia has a lot in common with third world countries in this sense, (China including.) By now Russians do know what sets them apart from the Western countries; the value of human life. They know that in Russia the value of human life is much lower than in the Western countries. Where it starts initially, where it comes from - from the top ( the government) or from the bottom is a big question though.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:38 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
This isn't just a Chinese phenomenon. It's a human phenomenon.
No it's not. I can't picture here in the US ( or in Western Europe) child lying on the streets, dying, and people just passing by.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:41 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
I can't either. I mean, the least they could've done is call the ambulance..

Old 10-22-2011, 01:42 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,128,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
This isn't just a Chinese phenomenon. It's a human phenomenon. There are multiple case studies and papers in the literature which detail how in the face of a crime being committed most people tend to ignore it.

Multiple cases of rapes and robberies and torture happening right here in the US being simply IGNORED by passersby. Not even a 911 call when out of earshot.

Don't play the "we're altruistic" card until you've actually tried it. It's great being an armchair philosopher, isn't it?

Remember a teaching by Jesus: "Before pointing out the splinter in another's eye, consider the beam in your own."
You are correct, however only in certain circumstances. It's one thing witnessing a gang beat someone and then one ignores it because they may be next in line for the same treatment. It is quite another when it is only a small child, laying in its own blood. Different situations result in different reactions. In this tragedy it truly boggles the mind why everyone clearly waltzed around a lone injured little girl. Something is very wrong with the culture in that part of China.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:46 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No it's not. I can't picture here in the US ( or in Western Europe) child lying on the streets, dying, and people just passing by.
exactly, recently there was a story of passers by in Utah risking their own lives to save someone from an accident...they don't call it the Home of the Brave for nothing

Bystanders rescue man trapped under burning car | abc7.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia