Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 04:19 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
I understood the general meaning...La Police is giving away Pitos to la Clase for a better Seguridad..
yes exactly that's the message of the news
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 11:18 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,066 times
I think it sounds very nice I don't really like most Asian languages because they sound too "choppy" and robotic in a way, devoid of emotion. Chinese people sound like they're always angry and impatient, for example. But I do like Tagalog and Japanese because these languages are more "flowing" and sound more similar to an Indo-European language.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 AM

154 posts, read 245,164 times
Tagalog does not sound like an Asian language, it sounds like a native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander language.

The Black Eyed Peas - Bebot - YouTube

Old 05-20-2013, 03:10 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
^ No it doesn't, and that song sucks

A Tagalog rap that actually sounds good

apokalipsis - sugatan - YouTube

Last edited by Smtchll; 05-20-2013 at 03:38 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 03:50 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
Tagalog does not sound like an Asian language, it sounds like a native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander language.

The Black Eyed Peas - Bebot - YouTube
Tagalog is a blend of Malay and Spanish. Does Hawaiian have Spanish words too ? Because tagalog has 4,000 Spanish words.

Influence on the languages of the Philippines

There are approximately 4,000 Spanish words in Tagalog (between 20% and 33% of Tagalog words),and around 6,000 Spanish words in Visayan and other Philippine languages. The Spanish counting system, calendar, time, etc. are still in use with slight modifications.

Spanish language in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-20-2013, 04:16 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
I'm more familiar with hearing Indonesian so that's the closest I can compare it to, but I also hear the Spanish influence.

Does it just contain a lot of Spanish loanwords or is it almost like a pidgeon?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm more familiar with hearing Indonesian so that's the closest I can compare it to, but I also hear the Spanish influence.

Does it just contain a lot of Spanish loanwords or is it almost like a pidgeon?
Indonesian language has Spanish words ? How did they get some Spanish words ?
Philippines is the only colony of Spain in Asia.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Indonesian language has Spanish words ? How did they get some Spanish words ?
Philippines is the only colony of Spain in Asia.
No it doesn't, nor very many Dutch words.

I was asking about Tagalog.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No it doesn't, nor very many Dutch words.

I was asking about Tagalog.
Oh I see. Filipino language has a lot of Spanish words. Most younger Filipinos are not even aware that a lot of words they use in their everyday living are Spanish, they think they're using Filipino words or they think they are using English words that have become Filipinized. I am familiar of almost all of the Filipino words that are originally Spanish since I lived in Europe for 10 years and family is Spanish oriented.

Filipino language doesn't have the Spanish Pronouns, prepositions etc.

Filipino language cannot be complete without a Spanish word in the middle or at the end.
Modern Filipinos are replacing the Spanish words with English words ex. are some words ( these are just few words as examples.

Trabajo -- work
sapatos--- shoes
Pantalon--- pants
Queso---- Cheese
Toalla---- Towel
Medias--- socks
Cinturon--- belt
Cuchara--- spoon
Tenedor--- fork
Cuchillo--- knife
Plato---Plate
Palito----toothpick
Espejo---mirror
Tocador--- dresser
Eroplano--- plane
Escuela---school
Mesa--- table
Algodon-- cotton
Telefono/telepono--- phone
Nobia/ Nobio-- girlfriend/boyfriend
Amiga/Amigo---friend
And even replacing the days of the week and hours in English. But the simple/poor people still use the Spanish words.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 05-20-2013 at 06:40 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,046 times
^
Spanish loanwords is mostly used.
Quote:
Article 1: Excerpts from the article "The vibrancy of Filipino as a language" by ROMY CAYABYAB

The Filipino language consists of words integrated from the various Philippine dialects as well as from foreign languages.

For example, consider the following figures based on Mr. Renato Perdon's

"The Making of a National Language":

A big percentage of the entries in the official Filipino dictionary issued in 1991 by the Commission on Filipino Language were foreign loan words. Specifically, Spanish words account for (5,210) words followed by English (1,907), Chinese (232), Malay (176 words), Latin (70), French (46), Sanskrit (29), Arabic (28), German (25), Mexican (20), and Japanese (13).

There are also 7 words each from the Indonesian and Italian languages, 2 words each from the Argentinian, Australian, Hawaiian, Javanese and Swish languages. One word each came from Aztec, Czechoslovakian, Finish, Greek, India, and Russian languages.

About 55% of the words integrated into Filipino comes from the major dialects in the Philippines, namely: Bicol (301 words), Cebuano (526 words), Hiligaynon (564 words), Ilocano (122 words), Kapampangan (51 words), Pangasinan (82 words), Old Tagalog / Tagalog (8,463 words), and Samar-Leyte (459 words).

There are also 328 Tausug words, 222 words from the Maranao dialect, 99 words from Maguindanao, 23 words from Samal, 16 words from the Tingian, 12 words from Isneg and another 12 words from Tagbanua.

Article # 2: Books on the Spanish loan-words or borrowings used in the Filipino languages:

The noted Spanish linguist, Antonio Quilis asserts that the two major Filipino languages, Visaya and Tagalog, has a Spanish content of at least 20% while other sources including the Spanish newspaper "El Pais" estimates the Spanish word content of Visayas and Tagalog at 25% .http://filipinokastila.tripod.com/hispani.html .
http://filipinokastila.tripod.com/spanmex.html

List of Loan-words in Filipino Language
List of loanwords in Tagalog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by pinai; 05-20-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia