U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
2,379 posts, read 2,297,135 times
Reputation: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
^
Spanish loanwords is mostly used.

http://filipinokastila.tripod.com/spanmex.html

List of Loan-words in Filipino Language
List of loanwords in Tagalog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And some Filipinos who are not aware of the many Spanish words that they use in their everyday life insist that Spanish is no use to us because we just got few Spanish words, jaja...we cannot deny the ties there
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,866 posts, read 3,502,495 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
And some Filipinos who are not aware of the many Spanish words that they use in their everyday life insist that Spanish is no use to us because we just got few Spanish words, jaja...we cannot deny the ties there
even the word 'Barkada' is a spanish loanword lol I thought it's not a spanish loanword.

anyways, here are some basic Filipino

Basic Filipino Language Tutorial - YouTube
- 'Po' or 'Opo' is a Chinese loanword
- 'Palengke' is Nahuatl (Mexican) loanword
- 'Kamusta' or 'Kumusta', 'Puwede', 'Banyo', 'Oras' is Spanish loanword

Filipino Ka, Sabihin mo TV Show
Topic: Chinese Loanwords

Filipino Ka Sabihin Mo - Episode 9 - YouTube
^this show sometimes looks like 'Dora the explorer' or 'Diego' hahaha
I guess this show is for Filipino Kids born & raised in abroad.

Last edited by pinai; 05-20-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Planet Earth
2,379 posts, read 2,297,135 times
Reputation: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
even the word 'Barkada' is a spanish loanword lol I thought it's not a spanish loanword.

anyways, here are some basic Filipino

Basic Filipino Language Tutorial - YouTube
- 'Po' or 'Opo' is a Chinese loanword
- 'Palengke' is Nahuatl (Mexican) loanword
- 'Kamusta' or 'Kumusta', 'Puwede', 'Banyo', 'Oras' is Spanish loanword

Filipino Ka, Sabihin mo TV Show
Topic: Chinese Loanwords

Filipino Ka Sabihin Mo - Episode 9 - YouTube
^this show sometimes looks like 'Dora the explorer' or 'Diego' hahaha
I guess this show is for Filipino Kids born & raised in abroad.
Even simple words like:

Chismis/ tsismis--- gossip
Chismosa--- gossiper
Coche--- car
Tren--- train
Cigarillo-- cigarette
Chinelas--- slippers
Listo---- ready
Pulseras--bracelet
Cuello----collar
Cargador--- porter
Canta/ kanta( Spanish Cantar ) -- Sing
Palda/Falda/ Saya-- skirt
Lazo-- Ribbon
Papel -- Paper
Lapiz--- pencil
Caja--- box
Cocina/Cosina- kitchen
Cuarto--room
Cama --- bed
baño-- bathroom
Globo-- baloon
Calzoncillos-- shorts
Hielo--- Ice
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,866 posts, read 3,502,495 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Even simple words like:

Chismis/ tsismis--- gossip
Chismosa--- gossiper
Coche--- car
Tren--- train
Cigarillo-- cigarette
Chinelas--- slippers
Listo---- ready
Pulseras--bracelet
Cuello----collar
Cargador--- porter
Canta/ kanta( Spanish Cantar ) -- Sing
Palda/Falda/ Saya-- skirt
Lazo-- Ribbon
Papel -- Paper
Lapiz--- pencil
Caja--- box
Cocina/Cosina- kitchen
Cuarto--room
Cama --- bed
baño-- bathroom
Globo-- baloon
Calzoncillos-- shorts
Hielo--- Ice
Filipino is the National Language & Tagalog is just one of the Languages of the Philippines.
I wrongly posted Tagalog instead of Filipino lol on the thread title as National Language.

Filipino/Tagalog -Spanish- English
Pasaporte - Pasaporte-Passport
Lugar/Pook - Lugar - Place
Apelyedo - Apellido - Lastname
Republika - Republica - Republic
Pisara - Pizzara- Blackboard
Tirintas - Trenza- braided
Nasyonalista-Nacionalista-Nationalist
Numero- Número- Number
Ordinansa- Ordinanza - Ordinance
Kalye/Kalsada - Calle - Street
Luho - Lujo - Luxury
Mundo/Daigdig - Mundo - World
Realidad/Katotohanan - Realidad - Reality
Sabon - Jabón - Soap
Tableta - Tableta -Tablet
Tuwalya - Toalla - Towel
Panyo/Panuelo/Panyolito - Pañuelo - Handkerchief
compañero/kumpare - compañero - male friend or partner
compañera/kumadre - compañera - female friend or partner

Last edited by pinai; 05-21-2013 at 03:57 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville, NC
1,480 posts, read 2,948,885 times
Reputation: 1485
I posted on this thread two years ago. Since then we have had several Indonesians join our circle of friends. While the Filipinos and I can't understand most of what they say, I can certainly see the similarity in the pronunciation, pattern of speech and inflection between Indonesian and Tagalog. Many of them are language instructors teaching Special Forces soldiers here at Fort Bragg.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 04:25 AM
 
3,544 posts, read 4,664,177 times
Reputation: 1531
Yeah I think it's closest in sound to Malaysian/Indonesian, but still, if you've heard a lot of Tagalog, Malaysian/Indonesian sounds pretty different, especially Malaysian for some reason


Manjalara Intro 2 - YouTube

I think there are some sounds that are a lot more common in Malaysia but not as common in Tagalog like the "j" sound, the "ch" sound, and the schwa ('uh') sound, and their L's sound a little wierd. Makes it sound very different. Malay sounds more pleasant than Tagalog. They should have made that our national language instead..

Last edited by Smtchll; 05-21-2013 at 04:41 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,866 posts, read 3,502,495 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yeah I think it's closest in sound to Malaysian/Indonesian, but still, if you've heard a lot of Tagalog, Malaysian/Indonesian sounds pretty different, especially Malaysian for some reason


Manjalara Intro 2 - YouTube

I think there are some sounds that are a lot more common in Malaysia but not as common in Tagalog like the "j" sound, the "ch" sound, and the schwa ('uh') sound, and their L's sound a little wierd. Makes it sound very different. Malay sounds more pleasant than Tagalog. They should have made that our national language instead..
Is there an ethnic group in the Philippines that speak exactly Malay from Malaysia and Indonesia? to declare it as national language, Our languages is still different from them. although there is similarity. I read the reason why they chose tagalog as the base of the national language because it's in the middle between northern and southern Philippines so it will easy to spread the language. Tagalog has similarity between the language of Kapampangan, Bicol and Bisaya.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 AM
 
36 posts, read 46,349 times
Reputation: 23
Not pleasing to the ears. Hindi falls into the same category.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,866 posts, read 3,502,495 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yeah I think it's closest in sound to Malaysian/Indonesian, but still, if you've heard a lot of Tagalog, Malaysian/Indonesian sounds pretty different, especially Malaysian for some reason


Manjalara Intro 2 - YouTube

I think there are some sounds that are a lot more common in Malaysia but not as common in Tagalog like the "j" sound, the "ch" sound, and the schwa ('uh') sound, and their L's sound a little wierd. Makes it sound very different. Malay sounds more pleasant than Tagalog. They should have made that our national language instead..

Pangako Sayo 8-1 (Malay Sub.) - YouTube
^Filipino Telenovela with Malay Bahasa Language subtitle
there are some word that is similar in Tagalog word
but mostly I cannot understand the rest of the words
from Filipino or Tagalog to Malay Bahasa

The words that is similar in tagalog:
Malay Bahasa - Tagalog
Tolong - Tulong
Polis - Pulis
Anak - Anak
Selamat - Salamat (This is actually an Arabic loanword of 'Salam')
Mata - Mata
Sakit - Sakit

some word in Malay Bahasa subtitle that is
in Tagalog. But some has different meaning
- Lagi
- Saya
- Adik
- Dapat
- Mana
- Mula
- Kita
- Diri

Last edited by pinai; 05-21-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Canada
1,024 posts, read 856,051 times
Reputation: 612
Interesting language, I would reall like to learn it.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top