U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:52 PM

213 posts, read 368,724 times

Advertisements

I have been travelling since 2006 and havent seen this happen. I guess the rules have changed.

The chances of someone carrying an invasive pest from a first-world country to third-world India, or for that matter, any other third-world country is not something to be laughed at. Pests vary from country to country. Even something as common as a cockroach found in US would be much different from that found in India. You wouldn't want to allow another species to piggy-back into your country.

Say for example you are coming from TX, which has issues with Fire Ants. Indian authorities would want to make sure that Fire Ants are not introduced in India. Or even something like the Avian Bird Flu. Nothing wrong in being cautious about what reaches your shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 PM

1,401 posts, read 2,158,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
I have been travelling since 2006 and havent seen this happen. I guess the rules have changed.

The chances of someone carrying an invasive pest from a first-world country to third-world India, or for that matter, any other third-world country is not something to be laughed at. Pests vary from country to country. Even something as common as a cockroach found in US would be much different from that found in India. You wouldn't want to allow another species to piggy-back into your country.

Say for example you are coming from TX, which has issues with Fire Ants. Indian authorities would want to make sure that Fire Ants are not introduced in India. Or even something like the Avian Bird Flu. Nothing wrong in being cautious about what reaches your shore.
Trust me, I get it. I just found it especially ironic after I'd spent some time in India. As dirty as everything was, I thought it was funny that they'd be concerned about anything an outsider would be bringing in. I was far more concerned about what nasty things India could leave with me. It's almost like the federal government was saying "look we know our country is f***in' nasty...we don't need any other nasty s**t brought here from foreign travellers!"

And, to add, I don't want to seem completely negative about my time in India. Overall, I do really consider it to have been a good experience. As far as positives go, the people I encountered were very friendly for the most part and very open to Americans. The friends my brother had made while living there were very hospitable and really went out of their way to make us feel at home. Since we actually got to hang out at their homes and tag along with them during their normal day to day lives, it was really cool to see how they live and just to experience a different way of living. It wasn't a typical tourist experience. India is also very easy to get around in if you're an American because a large portion of the population speaks English.

Another great experience we had was the food. It was not what I expected. The food was amazing! My brother and I ate like kings and almost felt guilty about it. We could easily spend $10 between us (don't remember what it was in rupees), and eat feasts. We felt somewhat guilty because the average Indian couldn't afford to eat what we were eating. What was cheap to us was a very expensive high-end meal to an average Indian person. We ate really good throughout our entire trip. Even after getting "Delhi-Belly", I continued to eat the food because it was soooo good! I remember one lunch where I had to run back to the hotel because I wanted to use a "familiar" bathroom and got lost on my way back to the hotel...finally made it just in time! If and it's a big "if" I ever went back to India, the stomach issues would probably be my biggest concern. It can destroy an entire trip if you have to spend it on the pot!

I really do encourage the OP to take a trip just for the experience. I'd really caution against making a full-time move though. Just to put it in perspective, I've been to Mexico numerous times. Mexico is probably 10x cleaner.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM

14,517 posts, read 13,070,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Trust me, I get it. I just found it especially ironic after I'd spent some time in India. As dirty as everything was, I thought it was funny that they'd be concerned about anything an outsider would be bringing in. I was far more concerned about what nasty things India could leave with me. It's almost like the federal government was saying "look we know our country is f***in' nasty...we don't need any other nasty s**t brought here from foreign travellers!"

And, to add, I don't want to seem completely negative about my time in India. Overall, I do really consider it to have been a good experience. As far as positives go, the people I encountered were very friendly for the most part and very open to Americans. The friends my brother had made while living there were very hospitable and really went out of their way to make us feel at home. Since we actually got to hang out at their homes and tag along with them during their normal day to day lives, it was really cool to see how they live and just to experience a different way of living. It wasn't a typical tourist experience. India is also very easy to get around in if you're an American because a large portion of the population speaks English.

Another great experience we had was the food. It was not what I expected. The food was amazing! My brother and I ate like kings and almost felt guilty about it. We could easily spend $10 between us (don't remember what it was in rupees), and eat feasts. We felt somewhat guilty because the average Indian couldn't afford to eat what we were eating. What was cheap to us was a very expensive high-end meal to an average Indian person. We ate really good throughout our entire trip. Even after getting "Delhi-Belly", I continued to eat the food because it was soooo good! I remember one lunch where I had to run back to the hotel because I wanted to use a "familiar" bathroom and got lost on my way back to the hotel...finally made it just in time! If and it's a big "if" I ever went back to India, the stomach issues would probably be my biggest concern. It can destroy an entire trip if you have to spend it on the pot!

I really do encourage the OP to take a trip just for the experience. I'd really caution against making a full-time move though. Just to put it in perspective, I've been to Mexico numerous times. Mexico is probably 10x cleaner.

Exactly what I was saying.

I know where you're coming from 100% on this one!!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 PM

10,013 posts, read 8,519,288 times
Quote:
If and it's a big "if" I ever went back to India, the stomach issues would probably be my biggest concern. It can destroy an entire trip if you have to spend it on the pot!
A doctor told me to take 1 pepto bismol cheweble tablet before every meal.

Absolutely no stomach issues again. Worked like a miracle.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 PM

10,013 posts, read 8,519,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
Wow! How did I miss that?!

@mstnghu2, @BigCityDreamer: Which carrier were you guys on?
I think it was British Airways some years ago.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM

14,517 posts, read 13,070,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think it was British Airways some years ago.

Yeah, that's why when you arrive in India the first thing you smell are pesticides. Sadly, that's not the worst thing you'll be smelling either

Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,393,878 times
In India avoid private buses/video coach. They are scamsters. I believe you took private video coach showing bollywood movie. They take you through longer route to avoid toll on new express highway. Unlike USA, here in India trust government run roadways. Those buses run on time and call Asiad buses or roadways buses. There is one bus every 15 minutes 24x7from dadar govt bus station in mumbai to Pune and they take you through express highway in 2 and half hours. You were not properly informed and took some scamster private bus. In India as a rule avoid any private bus and travel only by Government run buses or trains. About criminals, they happen in every country. In Texas you will be shot dead by some paranoid homeowner if your car accidently breaks down in front of somebody's house. nobody shoots you in India. I have flown to India many times and never experienced pesticides. there is no such law of spraying pesticides. You are grossly misinformed.
Quote:
Anybody saying that India is not that bad is out of their flippin' mind! It's by far one of the most disgusting and depressing countries I've ever visited. I'll add though, that it was also an incredibly interesting place to visit and I thoroughly appreciate that I had the chance to experience it....

However, it's a completely disgusting place. Yes, it is possible to live in a nice place if you have a lot of money, but you're always literally just steps away from extreme poverty. If you do have money, you pretty much have to keep it a secret because those around you will try to find ways to steal it. I have an immigrant co-worker from India who comes from a very wealthy family. Her family had a massive home that they had custom-built on the outskirts of a smaller Indian city and they actually had to flee in the middle of the night and leave everything behind due to a gang of criminals that forced them out and pretty much stole everything they had. She ended up moving to an apartment in the middle of another city and her family had to keep their wealth completely secret to avoid being victims again.

I spent a few days in Mumbai and despite being the financial center of India, it's an unbelievably congested, poverty-stricken, completely chaotic and dirty metropolis. Within a few minutes of leaving the airport and taking a rickshaw to our hotel (I was on the trip with my brother), I was completely blown away by how disgustingly dirty and chaotic the place was.

Just to give an example of how "backward" things are in India... my brother and I were going to head out from Mumbai to the city of Pune (my brother lived in India for six months in Pune and had friends there we were going to visit). We got on our bus in Mumbai to head to Pune and everybody on the bus was informed by the bus driver that we were going to be heading to Pune on the new bypass road that had just been built to allow a faster route to Pune. Well, surprise surprise, about two hours into our journey, and halfway through our first Bollywood movie that was playing on the overhead TV screens in the bus, we had to stop...because the damn road wasn't finished! Seriously?! We came to the end of the new road and there were construction crews laying pavement in front of us...the road just freakin' ended! We had to turn around, head back the way we came and get to the old road to Pune. What should have been a three hour trip took almost seven hours! The crazy thing too is that nobody really complained. It's like Indian people are so completely used to living in such a backward disorganized chaotic environment that they just go with the flow.

I can't emphasize enough to the OP how eye-opening my trip to India was. A lot of people try to sensationalize it and make it seem like this beautiful, mystical place that's full of wonder. Don't get me wrong, because it does have some beautiful locations and I was able to visit some. In general though, it's a disgustingly dirty chaotic unorganized and just all around f****d up place to live.

I highly recommend that the OP visit before making any rash decision to move there. Be prepared to see unbelievable poverty, people pooping on sidewalks and in public waterways in the middle of the city as other people are bathing and washing laundry in the same waterways, groups of ten or more kids following you through town trying to get money from you, cows wandering in the streets, absolutely no enforcement of traffic rules, nasty mystery odors all over the place and the very high risk of getting a nasty stomach bug (I did)...I seriously could go on and on. I'm glad I had the opportunity to visit India, but don't feel the need to go back- ever.

On a funny note, when you arrive to India on an international flight, the airline flight attendants walk through the aisles spraying pesticides on the passengers...no joke, it's federal Indian law. My brother and I looked at each other like WTF??!! What could we possibly be bringing to India that it doesn't already have??!!

Anways, OP, visit and enjoy...I don't recommend living there though.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:16 AM

7,508 posts, read 2,152,107 times
India sounds like a very interesting place. I think it would be a challenge but it would be fill with rich experience. Go for it. I am thinking of leaving US and live in Japan.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 1,805 times
Did any one live Dehradun?
I spent ma best days at that city.More than civilians you will find more military men.
Though I am not from army wing we naval officers spent 2 years at that place as a part of our training.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 AM

2,115 posts, read 2,008,111 times
Be careful, walking across train tracks. I read a news item in the "Washington Post" last week, that 15,000 Indians a year, are killed while crossing train tracks. (6,000 of them in Mumbai alone). The Indian railways cannot afford the expense to build train overpasses around busy urban streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia