Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,963,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglicious View Post
IMHO, it is much better now, comsidering there is check and balance with the strong ooposition to check abuses and corruption. In the past, politician uses in the name of religion to divide the race but now in the name of internet, people are more savvy. Mainstream media were controlled by the govt in the past but there is no way to control alternative media such as www.malaysianinsiders.com , www.malaysiankini.com or www.facebook.com.. In Net We Trust is the mantra where Malaysians are turning to.

Unlike some countries, there wouldnt be uprising through bloody demostrations or military coups that comes with public unrests like in Libya or Thailand.

While Singapore is great in terms of development comparing with Malaysia, it is overdeveloped for retirees due to costs and lack of greens. Medical care is another reason as it is definitely more expensive in other countries comparing with Malaysia whcih offers high standard as well.

In fact, two of the my wifey clients are buying because of medicare while setting homes with Malaysia 2nd home program. This is due to the favorable higher currency exchange rate as well for the time being. You can make comparison via the properties in my wifey site - sharonlee.iagent.my or viewing some of the public listings by clicking www.youtube.comn/sharonleaders

The only concern is the number of illegal immigrants here from Philipines , Burma, and Indonesia which are causing public anxiety and safety. Hence, it is a piece of mind, to stay in gated and guarded community. Being the victim of house burgarly can be quite traumatised. In addition to that, the facilities of amenities, pool, natural landscapes and golf course are what the expatriates or retirees are looking forward to when setting up homes for healthier and tasty living lifestyle.

For the time being, the properties here is still vastly undervalued as the Mainland Chinese from China yet to buy enbloc as in Australia and New Zealand.
How nice to blame foreigners for all your problems

Last edited by minibrings; 02-16-2012 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 05:11 AM

321 posts, read 532,253 times
Racism rears its ugly heads since the Mahathir era where he used religion as the way to divide and rule with the not so informative public since the mainstream is controlled by the govt. His iron fist even whacked and cowed the laws and justice where he Lord President was even sacked!

Other misfits are croynism and wrestle the business where it benefits its own insider people which are not Bumiputra, but friends and families. Ironic but true, Mahathir roots are from India instead of Malaysia. His dad imigrated from India and married a local.

Things have had change for better where it is evident with the new opposition rule in four states of which Pulau Pinang and Selangor being the main economic States. The text messaging and internet are the contributing factors where it surprised even the opposition! Fiasco like corrruptions and croynism are being questioned and put on hold instead of swept under the carpets unlike in the past. Even the scholaships are put in place unlike back in the 80 until now.

As for the problems of immigrant, it is not nice to blame it on the illegal immigrants but the Govt of being lax about 3 million of them in a tiny country like Malaysia ( 28 million PoP) of which it it is estimated about 1.5 to 2 million in Kuala Lumpur alone while insufficient with policing manpower where petty crimes like street mugging and house breakings are mostly committed by Indonesians at large. The lax of immigration was due to the fact where these countries are mainly Muslims as it would be a political leverage against the non Muslim population like the Chinese and Indians. On top of that, total legal immigrant stand about 2 million. So, all and all 5 million immigrants on "working transit".

But as times goes by, many progress were seen. Malysians are keeping thier fingers crossed in anitciaption of the coming general election this year.

But the one thing the Goverment did right was to introduce the Malaysiaa 2nd Home program to attract qualified foreigners to buy and stay in luxurious homesinstead of illegal immigrants which are building illegals squatters dents or sardined pack themselves in apartments which housed the locals here too.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 AM

I'm talking about you blaming problems on illegal immigrants. Not Mahatir. Hitler iked to blame crime, etc. on specific groups of people. Read post no. 5. I would. Or be comfortable living in a country where scape goats were blamed for all crime.

I'd immediately pack up and head to thailand.

Another thing the government did wrong:
http://www.amnesty.org/en/for-media/...a-malaysia-201

Old 02-17-2012, 07:11 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,134,819 times
What is the minimum income for the retiree program now? What did they raise it to?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I'm talking about you blaming problems on illegal immigrants. Not Mahatir. Hitler iked to blame crime, etc. on specific groups of people. Read post no. 5. I would. Or be comfortable living in a country where scape goats were blamed for all crime.

I'd immediately pack up and head to thailand.

Another thing the government did wrong:
Death penalty fear for Tweeter facing forcible return to Saudi Arabia from Malaysia | Amnesty International
I don't know why you insist of getting up close and personal of me blaming problems on illegal immigrants whereas I actually blame the Malaysian Govt for it withs its policy behind hidden agenda and lax enforcement to tackle the ILLEGAL immigration problems. This has had been causing anxiety among the local residents and those who have had Malaysia as thier homes. Not just the "petty" crimes like burlgary or snatch thieves, but also changing the social equation as many has have access either to legal or fake citizenship documentation though those law abiding residents who have stayed for 30 years have had yet to get thier citizenship paper while paying taxes! Illegal immigrants in Malaysia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and http://www.nst.com.my/local/general/mydaftar-fulfils-citizenship-dreams-1.46872 (broken link)

First it was illegal, because they were brought and dumped here by unscrupulous agents without jobs and they overstayed. If they get jobs, fine .If Not, how are they going to survive without monies. No wonder why prostituition and petty thieves are abound with these illegal immigrants. Human trafficking is a real problems here with the foreigners. Niether there is enough police or jail to cater for it. It is not coincidence that KL homes are barricaded with Gated and Guarded in housing areas comparing with other cities because of the large presence of illegal immigrants which is reportedly about 2 million.

Either in USA or Malaysia, I dont support illegal immigration as these people would be taken advantage of or taking advantage of those who going the lawful process of obtaining legal residence. And I have to admit that I have employed legal and illegal immigrants in my restuarant. Two of them were employed because they really needed work, and not because I exploiting them. They were being paid the same wages as the locals and treated accordingly the same. I even made one of them the Head of Dept because of her examplary work and attitude supervising the locals.

What I am offering here in the posting are the views from the local and people staying here in general. Since I am have "promoting" the Malaysian 2nd home program on my own initiative, I have to keep the picture as what is the actual expectation or close to it as general.

What they did to the Saudi journalist is shameful as Home Ministry dept is kowtowing to the oil rich Saudi Arabia but it is more shameful for giving licence to dump toxic waste in Malaysia by Lynas Corporation from Austrralia in Pahang or the Human rights where anyone is detained without trials under Internal Security Act by the Home Ministry. ANd the list go on. Main - Malaysia - A year on, anti-Lynas campaign goes to court @ Fri Feb 17 2012 / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna..._Act_(Malaysia) / Main - Side Views - Hamza Kashgari?s deportation a serious rights violation ? Aliran @ Thu Feb 16 2012

BTW, if you would see my postings from citydata forum here or other public forums usj.com.my/ in Malaysia which I am participating under the same username, I am Old Mean ExChef where I meant what I said though I dont get up and personal.

Finally don let me stop you from making Thailand your 2nd Home if you are not concerned with its regular riots and the maturity of politcal stability. But the ratio of illegal immigrant is lower than Malaysia. My grandparents used to reside in Thailand.

Last edited by zinglicious; 02-17-2012 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
What is the minimum income for the retiree program now? What did they raise it to?
Effective 1 April 2009, new applicants who have purchased and owned residential
property which were bought at MYR1 million & above in Malaysia are eligible to apply for exemption from placing the full FD amount required of MM2H participants. They only have to comply with the basic financial requirement of FD of MYR100K or MYR150K for 50 & above and below 50 respectively. This amount may not be withdrawn until the participants decide to terminate their participation in the MM2H programme.(All applicants must meet the cash in bank and monthly income requirements as mentioned above )

@ 1USD -= 3MYR

This program is to induce qualified persons who are seeking Malaysia as a second home residence.and differ from US iImmigrant Visa under Business where you need to invest USD500K and employ local residents as employees.As long as you can sustain the lifestyle and afford a luxurious home costing USD350K, this policy enable you to live in Malaysia without renewing your visa for 10 years.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,862,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Malaysia has become less attractive of recent with the governments decision to further lift the bar with regards to a retirees monthly income.

Most countries would like to attract the wealthy from other lands but what Malaysia should understand is that they are one but many countries in this market.
Places like Panama offer far better deals. Then closer to home Cambodia and Laos offer year long business visas that can be renewed annually for around $500 (US). No business is required.
If Indonesia can come up with an improved offer on what is presently available they would be highly attractive.

I myself am very fond of Malaysia. Have lived in KL and Melaka,but have travelled widely there.Although I like Palau Penang don't have an urge to join other ex pats there at all.

When I was actively researching alternative places outside of Penang and KL found the pickings a little slim. Pahang was a state of interest but they appear to have another policy and are costlier as such to get acceptance.
Some say Sarawak or Sabah are fine but have yet to check out.

I do agree the main reasons for living in malaysia would be the people and food. To be honest don't find the beaches so great. Thailand far better if that is what one desires.

I shall be watching the next electon with interest. Has the time come for a real challenge to the for ever ruling National Party? Perhaps a hard nut to crack?
You really should check out Sabah and Sarawak. Thailand's beaches are great, no doubt, although it's increasingly hard to find beaches that are both accessible and not packed with tourists.

Sabah and Sarawak, imo, sound like a nicer place to retire. The beaches are just as nice, the coral reefs are a little bit more pristine by Asian standards than Thailand, and the nature is far more untouched. The type of tourists the place attracts tend to be of a different cachet to those who go to Koh Phang Ngan (less rowdy partygoers, more 'serious' and adventure/eco tourists). I'm not sure about the practicalties of living there. I've only been to Kuching myself and it was a very nice town, the people are even friendlier than those on the mainland.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglicious View Post
I don't know why you insist of getting up close and personal of me blaming problems on illegal immigrants whereas I actually blame the Malaysian Govt for it withs its policy behind hidden agenda and lax enforcement to tackle the ILLEGAL immigration problems. This has had been causing anxiety among the local residents and those who have had Malaysia as thier homes. Not just the "petty" crimes like burlgary or snatch thieves, but also changing the social equation as many has have access either to legal or fake citizenship documentation though those law abiding residents who have stayed for 30 years have had yet to get thier citizenship paper while paying taxes! Illegal immigrants in Malaysia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and MyDaftar fulfils citizenship dreams - General - New Straits Times (http://www.nst.com.my/local/general/mydaftar-fulfils-citizenship-dreams-1.46872 - broken link)

First it was illegal, because they were brought and dumped here by unscrupulous agents without jobs and they overstayed. If they get jobs, fine .If Not, how are they going to survive without monies. No wonder why prostituition and petty thieves are abound with these illegal immigrants. Human trafficking is a real problems here with the foreigners. Niether there is enough police or jail to cater for it. It is not coincidence that KL homes are barricaded with Gated and Guarded in housing areas comparing with other cities because of the large presence of illegal immigrants which is reportedly about 2 million.

Either in USA or Malaysia, I dont support illegal immigration as these people would be taken advantage of or taking advantage of those who going the lawful process of obtaining legal residence. And I have to admit that I have employed legal and illegal immigrants in my restuarant. Two of them were employed because they really needed work, and not because I exploiting them. They were being paid the same wages as the locals and treated accordingly the same. I even made one of them the Head of Dept because of her examplary work and attitude supervising the locals.

What I am offering here in the posting are the views from the local and people staying here in general. Since I am have "promoting" the Malaysian 2nd home program on my own initiative, I have to keep the picture as what is the actual expectation or close to it as general.

What they did to the Saudi journalist is shameful as Home Ministry dept is kowtowing to the oil rich Saudi Arabia but it is more shameful for giving licence to dump toxic waste in Malaysia by Lynas Corporation from Austrralia in Pahang or the Human rights where anyone is detained without trials under Internal Security Act by the Home Ministry. ANd the list go on. Main - Malaysia - A year on, anti-Lynas campaign goes to court @ Fri Feb 17 2012 / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna..._Act_(Malaysia) / Main - Side Views - Hamza Kashgari?s deportation a serious rights violation ? Aliran @ Thu Feb 16 2012

BTW, if you would see my postings from citydata forum here or other public forums usj.com.my/ in Malaysia which I am participating under the same username, I am Old Mean ExChef where I meant what I said though I dont get up and personal.

Finally don let me stop you from making Thailand your 2nd Home if you are not concerned with its regular riots and the maturity of politcal stability. But the ratio of illegal immigrant is lower than Malaysia. My grandparents used to reside in Thailand.
Im merely expressinng my opinion, sorry if my honest assessment of malaysia is nt to yur liking. not sure if thailand is the perfect place, at least they dont blame others for all their issues. the nazis liked to blame others, not a good thing.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 AM

Point noted. You are right when you said Malaysia has its misgivings.
It is not the illegal immigrants that many Malaysians are resentful but how it was handled by the govt especially it is done for political reason to get votes and not jobs and creating imbalances in social and security problems where it is critcal for the state of Sabah. All countries welcome qualified and legal immigrations but present Malaysian actually encourage illegal immigration because of political agenda to fish votes from neighbouring Muslims countries! Hopefully the coming election, we see positive changes where election rules would be tightened to prevent phamtoms voters of Fast Eddie citizens.
Main - Malaysia - Kit Siang demands Najib explain silence on RCI for Sabah illegals @ Sat Feb 18 2012 "The huge population of illegals in Sabah, he said, has been creating political, economic, social and security problems for locals, and making them feel as if they have become “foreigners in their own homeland”.

Just like you, this is an overall impressions and expressions presented by me to give Malaysian 2nd Home seekers wants to know what they are getting for thier investments.

BTW, I aint Nazi or racists, having friends from Muslims or Christians. Italians to Indians, Filipinos to Britons. Afterall, I am from the Philadelphia City of Brotherly Love where two of my offsprings were born.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,839,471 times
The Malaysian government just expelled to Saudi Arabia a young Saudi webdissident to be executed (yes, killed) there. I will never set foot in Mr. Mahatir Muhammad land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia