U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2012, 05:19 AM

79 posts, read 203,953 times

Advertisements

Hi All :-),

I am 40 years old living in nyc and dreaming
of quitting this hard life and move
to some asian country,

I d like a country where I can stay permanently
and where I can work ( otherwise I guess
I will get really bored),

I like a lot thailand but I read its really
complicated to settle and get visas,

I know other western countries like dominucan
republic would be easier to move to but I va always had
a preference for asia,

any idea?

thank you ;-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 AM

51 posts, read 97,075 times
China, but stay away from large metropolitans such as Beijing and Shanghai

Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM

16,448 posts, read 10,785,861 times
Malaysia has a pretty good deal for retirees.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 AM

189 posts, read 305,117 times
Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand; just to name a few. If you have beautiful savings account, you may try Southern Japan (Chugoku and Kyushu region). Real estate could be a b*tch in Japan tho.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM

14,927 posts, read 8,913,351 times
Philippines is popular among wealthy British retirees.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM

319 posts, read 268,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblock View Post
Hi All :-),

I am 40 years old living in nyc and dreaming
of quitting this hard life and move
to some asian country,

I d like a country where I can stay permanently
and where I can work ( otherwise I guess
I will get really bored),

I like a lot thailand but I read its really
complicated to settle and get visas,

I know other western countries like dominucan
republic would be easier to move to but I va always had
a preference for asia,

any idea?

thank you ;-)
Unless you have lots of dough or qualification to work, you may not stand a chance to get permanent residence in other countries.

And in some countries, you can even buy the home with the land titles under your name.

The other problem is communcation especially if the locals dont speak English much or American like wassaup and if you live in some backyard Asian villages, you may get bored as there is no internet connection to log onto www.data-city.com or newspapers in English!

A

Old 02-24-2012, 06:36 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,181,351 times
Nearly all countries are making it very hard for Americans to immigrate, even to retire on their US pension. They were not born yesterday, and are perfectly aware that millions of Americans are desperatey prowling around looking for a place with affordable (or free) health care, and are concerned about Americans stretching their health care capacity to the limit. Expect extreme difficulty getting a residence permit, unless you're prepared to invest at least six figures in their country. In some countries, a million will get you a passport.

As has been demonstrated in many instances in the past, citizens of countries that are in dire straits often find it hard to get even refugee status elsewhere, even if your wife is Ingrid Bergman and you have befriended Bogey.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 PM

2,501 posts, read 2,183,942 times
the expat job market in SE asia is extremely saturated since everyone wants to live and work there. your best bet is just to network, spend a lot of time over there. hopefully find something eventually but unlikely aside from low paying work.

buying a house is generally a bad deal wherever you are, but especially in se asia. you'll end up regretting doing something so silly, this isn't a possibility, this is guarenteed. DON'T go over there if you can't wrap your head around what i just said, you will not survive with your savings if you can't. rents are extremely cheap in most of these countries in any case.

the easiest countries to stay long term, visa-wise, are cambodia and the philippines. they also have among the worst job opportunities. they are nice places tho.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 PM

79 posts, read 203,953 times
hey zinglicious,

when u say u can even buy the home with land
titles, what countries are you referring to?

I forgot to say I am also a italian citizen but
I guess it will not make any difference....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglicious View Post
Unless you have lots of dough or qualification to work, you may not stand a chance to get permanent residence in other countries.

And in some countries, you can even buy the home with the land titles under your name.

The other problem is communcation especially if the locals dont speak English much or American like wassaup and if you live in some backyard Asian villages, you may get bored as there is no internet connection to log onto www.data-city.com or newspapers in English!

A

Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 AM

319 posts, read 268,147 times
Actually, I meant to say there are countries where you can buy the house but not the land title like in Thailand.

But good news for buyers if they intend to buy properties where the land titles and house are jointly registered under thier own name in Malaysia.

However, in certain cases where the ownership is covered by strata basis as in the case of some business and apartment lots. Other issues are freehold, lease hold, temporary lot and restricted land title which are reserved for the locals ownership which are not transferable to foreigners.

It is prudent to check with the registered real estate agency or legal attorney when buying properties in foreign land. Caveat Emptor.

Italian? The Lamborghini and Ferrari you bring here would makes a vroooming difference.

And if you are thinking of Malaysia where you have connected highway of 700 kilometres, the info of 2nd Malysia home program is at this thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...e-program.html

Last edited by zinglicious; 02-25-2012 at 05:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia