Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Dubai, Oman, Qatar - becoming more and more cosmopolitan. Interesting?

What do you think about it?

Where do you see the future with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 PM

174 posts, read 640,191 times
Why only Dubai? Why not UAE as a whole? Abu Dhabi is getting fastly urbanized now too.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I've seen the Youtube video's on Dubai, and I put this city on my list of museums I may or may not care to see some day!

The city looks so museum-like. A more spread-out Las Vegas Strip. Not on my travel list.

I'd rather skip the glitz, and hole down somewhere in Central America and ride some chicken buses.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:56 AM

327 posts, read 644,461 times
I'd like to get into the property market before prices skyrocket in Dubai. Oman has miles and miles of untouched coastline.

Some people don't even know that Oman is even a country or where it is.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I'd like to get into the property market before prices skyrocket in Dubai. Oman has miles and miles of untouched coastline.

Some people don't even know that Oman is even a country or where it is.
As far as I know, hasn't Dubai property already skyrocketed way above it's value, and already crashed as it was too overvalued?

Maybe I'm wrong about that though?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 AM

I should proofread my posts. I meant Oman. I'd like to invest in Oman before property prices go up.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I should proofread my posts. I meant Oman. I'd like to invest in Oman before property prices go up.
I have heard a lot of great things about Oman and it's people. I've known a few people who've gone there to teach English, and I've only heard good things, from what they've said so far.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 AM

I'm right next door every few months when transiting through Dubai from Afghanistan for my R&R. I am thinking of Lebanon or Turkey for my R&R in August/September-ish. I think I might take a couple days in Oman to check it out.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 AM

321 posts, read 533,919 times
Despite the massive development, Dubai to Oman would have weakness to entice real players from tourists to investors to support it because of its Muslim limitations.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglicious View Post
Despite the massive development, Dubai to Oman would have weakness to entice real players from tourists to investors to support it because of its Muslim limitations.
It is a balancing act. So far Dubai and some other places have pulled it off though.

Take for instance the Dubai Mall. There are literally dozens of mosques inside it so that you are probably never more than a minute or two walk from one when the call to prayer occurs. Meanwhile you will see women in Western clothing and women fully covered in clothing that complies with Islamic modesty laws walking around with no one having a problem.

At the same time you can be certain that any food you buy or order out in public will be halal while there are government approved backrooms in restaurants and grocery stores where non-Muslims can purchase and consume pork products out of the sight of Muslims. During Ramadan restaurants are still open during the day, but they put up screens so that Muslims do not see anyone eating. In the city the vast majority of cab drivers are men, but each cab company is required to keep at least one woman driver on call so that women who do not wish to travel in the company of a man do not have to.

In business the government has established special trade zones where companies are exempt from following Islamic business and banking practices in order to attract foreign businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia