Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The better nightlife capital of the Middle East - DUBAI or BEIRUT?
Dubai 3 12.00%
Beirut 14 56.00%
(Another) 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:50 AM

233 posts, read 333,500 times

Advertisements

Since the question is to choose ONLY between Beirut and Dubai, I would answer Beirut especially that the New York Times stated Beirut as the number one vibrant and lively city in the world for year 2009. It has awesome nightlife. Many Hollywood celebrities went to Beirut I remember as I was there (Paris Hilton,...). Remember that Lebanon is a christian country- with a majority of Muslims though so that makes Beirut westernized more than any other Arab capital such as Dubai.

As for those who mentioned Istanbul, remember that Istanbul is not part of the Middle East at all!! Do some research before throwing false sentences and assumptions!!!!

As far as the east Mediterranean basin is concerned, Istanbul beats them all.. It is the greatest city I ever visited: from nightlife to landscape on the northern shores of the Bosporus. Everything is just beautiful and vibrant there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon-9 View Post
As for those who mentioned Istanbul, remember that Istanbul is not part of the Middle East at all!! Do some research before throwing false sentences and assumptions!!!!.
While there is much debate as to where Turkey fits in both Culturally and Geographically, most Turks in Istanbul consider themselves Middle Eastern.

I lived in Istanbul for a year relatively recently and pretty much every resident I was close to considered themselves part of the Middle East. This has become even more evident since the election of PM Erdoğan and his positioning himself as the face of the "New Middle East"

Old 10-26-2012, 05:23 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,794 times
Are you confusing muslim-identity for middle eastern? Interesting because so much of the pan-arabic identity came about as a rejection to ottoman-turk rule in the middle-east and seeing the turks as others.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Are you confusing muslim-identity for middle eastern? Interesting because so much of the pan-arabic identity came about as a rejection to ottoman-turk rule in the middle-east and seeing the turks as others.
To a certain extent the Turks are viewed as "others" in many circles, but I am just speaking about how Turks view themselves. And from my experience most Turks in Istanbul (whether muslim or not) view themselves as Middle Eastern, despite not sharing a common language with much of the region.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I too think Tel Aviv.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Interesting I never though of Beirut as a place with exciting nightlife, unless you mean mortar shells and bombs. How safe is it these days? I know there were some riots there recently.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting I never though of Beirut as a place with exciting nightlife, unless you mean mortar shells and bombs. How safe is it these days? I know there were some riots there recently.
I don't know about Lebanon being exactly safe, but if the Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations show on Lebanon was any indication, it appears that Beirut has a pretty thriving nightlife scene. There were even people partying while the Israeli army was launching mortar shells and bombs on the city.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,461 times
Seems like it's Dubai these days though I wouldn't be surprised if many will dispute that as their authorities can still be kinda strict. Didn't say Beirut thinking that Hezbollah (Lebanon's current controllers) might have put a kibbosh on it or at least forced them to moderate it... Had this been asked 40 years ago, I would have said Beirut without hesitation.... But I wish you guys added more options to this poll rather than just have us voted other choices under "other"....

Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Seems like it's Dubai these days though I wouldn't be surprised if many will dispute that as their authorities can still be kinda strict. Didn't say Beirut thinking that Hezbollah (Lebanon's current controllers) might have put a kibbosh on it or at least forced them to moderate it... Had this been asked 40 years ago, I would have said Beirut without hesitation.... But I wish you guys added more options to this poll rather than just have us voted other choices under "other"....
I have no idea how Beirut was 40 years ago, but on my visits as recently as even 6 months ago Beirut is still has as incredible and vibrant of a nightlife as I have experienced anywhere in the world.

I also believe the control Hezbollah has over Beirut is somewhat exaggerated in the media. Yes they have influence and their strongholds, but the general consensus is that they are losing influence and that may be manifested in the 2013 elections. We can only wait and see how accurate that is. As far as everyday life though it seems to be business as usual and Beiruti's are definitely not shy about their love of all things associated with nightlife.

Beirut is very underrated, many people are missing out on a great travel destination because of the misguided fear pumped in the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia