U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one as your overall favorite:
Kyoto 7 23.33%
Osaka 11 36.67%
Taipei 5 16.67%
Shenzhen 1 3.33%
Hanoi 2 6.67%
Kuala Lumpur 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 PM

189 posts, read 558,659 times

Advertisements

Shenzhen maybe a lively city, but there's just so many cities more worthwhile and better to visit in China. If you want a Chinese city comparable to Kyoto, Osaka, Taipei or Kuala Lumpur, Shenzhen is not the best pick.

In Japan, Fukuoka deserves to be mentioned. It's the largest city in the Kyushu region and one of the most liveable city in the world.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
I've only been to Hanoi and Kuala Lumpur. Hanoi is a quaint city with a vaguely European feel. It doesn't feel quite as big as HCMC, and has an old world, authentically Asian charm about it. Overall, however, it doesn't have the diversity of some of the other Asian cities to hold my interest as much. KL is of course more diverse, has a mix of interesting cultures and plenty of shopping, but again it's not my favourite.

Both Kyoto and Osaka seem interesting for different reasons: Kyoto for history and beauty, Osaka as another example of a shiny, modern Japanese metropolis. Taipei would be worth a visit if I'm going to Taiwan, but Taiwan isn't really in my upcoming travel plans.

Shenzhen is like the Dubai of East Asia, does not interest me one bit.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,837,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Shenzhen maybe a lively city, but there's just so many cities more worthwhile and better to visit in China. If you want a Chinese city comparable to Kyoto, Osaka, Taipei or Kuala Lumpur, Shenzhen is not the best pick.

In Japan, Fukuoka deserves to be mentioned. It's the largest city in the Kyushu region and one of the most liveable city in the world.
Even though Shenzhen seems good/decent, I do agree with you that are so many more worthwhile places to visit in China.

China has so many great and interesting worthwhile places to visit and there is plenty of diversity with those options.

I still think this was a good topic to discuss all 6 of those cities (Kyoto, Osaka, Taipei, Shenzhen, Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur).

I didn’t know that about the city of Fukuoka in Japan. Japan actually has plenty of major big cities other than Tokyo. (Kyoto, Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Sapporo, Yokohama, Kobe, etc.).

Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've only been to Hanoi and Kuala Lumpur. Hanoi is a quaint city with a vaguely European feel. It doesn't feel quite as big as HCMC, and has an old world, authentically Asian charm about it. Overall, however, it doesn't have the diversity of some of the other Asian cities to hold my interest as much. KL is of course more diverse, has a mix of interesting cultures and plenty of shopping, but again it's not my favourite.

Both Kyoto and Osaka seem interesting for different reasons: Kyoto for history and beauty, Osaka as another example of a shiny, modern Japanese metropolis. Taipei would be worth a visit if I'm going to Taiwan, but Taiwan isn't really in my upcoming travel plans.

Shenzhen is like the Dubai of East Asia, does not interest me one bit.
I agree with what you said about Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur, Osaka, and Kyoto.

Do you think some of these cities in this topic are some of the more underrated and unknown Asian cities to people that don’t live in Asia?

I picked all 6 of these cities in this topic to try to create a certain theme/pattern, and similar to the 6 cities I picked for a European cities topic. (Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Bratislava, Zagreb, Ljubljana).

Even though Taiwan is not on your upcoming travel plans, do you still want to visit Taiwan eventually?

The country of Taiwan and the city of Taipei seems like such a fun and interesting place to visit.

I thought you wanted to visit Dubai and was interested in it. Lol Did you recently change your mind about it?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:21 PM

22,113 posts, read 23,627,108 times
I definitely wouldn't put Shenzhen as my chinese second city of choice. Suzhou, Hangzhou, Chengdu, or Xiamen are all way better.

Taipei is a really fantastic city to live in, but mostly just alright in terms of sight-seeing.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I agree with what you said about Hanoi, Kuala Lumpur, Osaka, and Kyoto.

Do you think some of these cities in this topic are some of the more underrated and unknown Asian cities to people that don’t live in Asia?

I picked all 6 of these cities in this topic to try to create a certain theme/pattern, and similar to the 6 cities I picked for a European cities topic. (Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Bratislava, Zagreb, Ljubljana).

Even though Taiwan is not on your upcoming travel plans, do you still want to visit Taiwan eventually?

The country of Taiwan and the city of Taipei seems like such a fun and interesting place to visit.

I thought you wanted to visit Dubai and was interested in it. Lol Did you recently change your mind about it?
I think to Americans they are pretty unknown, yes. I think most Americans mostly known about Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok, Singapore and that's it.

Yes Taiwan is interesting: I'm kind of familiar with Chinese culture (in terms of exposure, I mean I don't speak Chinese so that would limit a full appreciation of it) so I think the novelty of that has worn off. Taipei doesn't seem all that special when compared to Japanese or mainland Chinese cities, but it seems kind of interesting. Taiwan actually has a lot of natural beauty I'd like to see one day.

I still do want to visit Dubai, but maybe to see the Burj Khalifa, and I guess to see what it is. Two days will probably be enough to satisfy my curiosity.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think to Americans they are pretty unknown, yes. I think most Americans mostly known about Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok, Singapore and that's it.

Yes Taiwan is interesting: I'm kind of familiar with Chinese culture (in terms of exposure, I mean I don't speak Chinese so that would limit a full appreciation of it) so I think the novelty of that has worn off. Taipei doesn't seem all that special when compared to Japanese or mainland Chinese cities, but it seems kind of interesting. Taiwan actually has a lot of natural beauty I'd like to see one day.

I still do want to visit Dubai, but maybe to see the Burj Khalifa, and I guess to see what it is. Two days will probably be enough to satisfy my curiosity.
Yeah, that seems to be true currently for how plenty of Americans perceive Asian cities. That also seems true for how plenty of Europeans perceive Asian cities.

The country of Taiwan and the city of Taipei in that country are interesting to me for plenty of reasons. And it still seems unique. The nature scenery seems great in Taiwan too. Some people say the nature scenery is similar to Hawaii. Taipei as a city seems to have a very high quality of life. It is one of plenty of places I would like to visit.

Taiwan used to be part of China for a long time but the people there decided for it to become a new country and separate from China. I assume people in Taiwan want to have a separate identity from Chinese culture and not be classified in the same group. It seems like they established their own distinct Taiwanese culture.

I also would like to visit Dubai and UAE in general but most likely just for a short visit for this case. Lol

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 03-14-2012 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 03:45 PM

218 posts, read 590,225 times
The Kyoto-Osaka really knocks down the other choices, for it has a strong tourism foundation. And it well promoted. I also figure it has better QOL than the others.

Kuala Lumpur is an amazing city. Not a very big city, but it is full of culture & character.

Taipei, often overlooked, looks like an exciting city too. I know they're fighting to be recognized as different from Chinese, but in reality, many Chinese cities are very comparable to Taipei.

Hanoi, beautiful city. I love their architecture and friendly folks. But they're still a developing city. Far from the ranks of Taipei, KL and much more Osaka.

Shenzhen, I agree with others that it could be not the best choice to represent China's secondary cities when you have Chengdu, Hangzhou, Harbin, Guangzhou & Guilin.
Shenzhen is just like one of those rapidly built cities just for the sake of building a city, you know what I mean? It hasn't really built a reputation as a city to be in ranks of Osaka, Kyoto, KL, Taipei.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
1.Osaka
2.Kyoto
3.Taipei
4.Kuala Lumpur
5.Shenzhen
6.Hanoi

Old 03-26-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
The Kyoto-Osaka really knocks down the other choices, for it has a strong tourism foundation. And it well promoted. I also figure it has better QOL than the others.

Kuala Lumpur is an amazing city. Not a very big city, but it is full of culture & character.

Taipei, often overlooked, looks like an exciting city too. I know they're fighting to be recognized as different from Chinese, but in reality, many Chinese cities are very comparable to Taipei.

Hanoi, beautiful city. I love their architecture and friendly folks. But they're still a developing city. Far from the ranks of Taipei, KL and much more Osaka.

Shenzhen, I agree with others that it could be not the best choice to represent China's secondary cities when you have Chengdu, Hangzhou, Harbin, Guangzhou & Guilin.
Shenzhen is just like one of those rapidly built cities just for the sake of building a city, you know what I mean? It hasn't really built a reputation as a city to be in ranks of Osaka, Kyoto, KL, Taipei.
I used to think Tokyo takes most of national/international attention for cities in Japan, but it now appears that Kyoto and Osaka gets plenty of national/international attention too.

For quality of life, I think it is a tie with Taipei/Kyoto/Osaka which all have a very high quality of life. Kuala Lumpur and Hanoi are not far behind. All of these cities have their appeal to me.

Yeah, Taipei is often overlooked and seems like an underrated city internationally that is exciting and has plenty of its own charm.

I think there is currently a distinct Taiwanese culture that has developed, which includes Taipei, but since Taiwan was so closely part of China for so long it still has plenty of aspects of Chinese culture left.

Kuala Lumpur is probably even more overlooked than Taipei, especially with nearby Bangkok and Singapore in neighboring countries taking away a lot of the attention.

Hanoi has unique charm and beautiful architecture and is cool enough, even if it is a “developing city.” I think the concept of developing/developed countries and cities is significantly overrated in plenty of ways.

Shenzhen is one of China’s secondary cities but I do realize now I could have picked a different Chinese city for this such as Chengdu, Hangzhou, Harbin, Guangzhou, or Guilin.

However, I do still find aspects of Shenzhen fascinating such as being one of the most rapidly growing cities in the world recently and extremely close proximity to Hong Kong and Guangzhou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or