U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick one as your overall favorite:
Kyoto 7 23.33%
Osaka 11 36.67%
Taipei 5 16.67%
Shenzhen 1 3.33%
Hanoi 2 6.67%
Kuala Lumpur 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,837,768 times

Advertisements

All of these cities are located in East Asia (Kyoto, Osaka, Taipei) and Southeast Asia (Hanoi and Kuala Lumpur).

How would you rank them from your favorite to least favorite? Which ones do you love, like, have neutral opinions for, dislike, and/or hate?

How would you rank them from most impressive to least impressive?

Which one of these cities is most similar and most different to a Hong Kong/Shanghai/Tokyo/Seoul/Singapore type of city?

Other specific factors that can be discussed:

Excitement/Things to Do

Best Overall Vibes/Impressions for the City

Neighborhoods/Neighborhood Options

History

Architecture

Food/Dining Scene

Music scene

Museums

Arts and Theater scene

Nightlife

Proximity to other great Day and Weekend trips

Most Cosmopolitan to Least Cosmopolitan

Sociological Diversity

Racial/Ethnic Diversity

Economy and Cost of Living

Overall Quality of Life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM

189 posts, read 558,659 times
I like all of them. Kyoto-Osaka would be my top list for obvious reasons. It's a perfect route for Japanese modern and cultural trip. And Osaka has amazing food finds.
Shenzen would be in my indifferent. As there's no reason for me to visit there. If I would pick a Chinese city, it would be Hangzhou or Lijiang.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:31 PM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
I'll rank them like this:

Kyoto
Osaka
Kuala Lumpur
Taipei
Hanoi
Shenzhen

But, they are ALL interesting and good to see. I've been 5 of them, but I haven't been to Shenzhen. I'm not even sure what is in Shenzhen in particular to see and do.

I ranked the Japan ones on top, as I live here in this area, and I like this area quite a bit.

Kuala Lumpur is real interesting though, and becoming very very international. Perhaps if I didn't live in Japan, and like living here, I might even rank KL above the Japan ones. But, I like Japan too, so I'll keep it as is.

Both Hanoi and Taipei are interesting too, but just completely different once again. I have to rank them at the bottom half, not because I don't like them, but because I quite like Japan and KL.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'll rank them like this:

Kyoto
Osaka
Kuala Lumpur
Taipei
Hanoi
Shenzhen

But, they are ALL interesting and good to see. I've been 5 of them, but I haven't been to Shenzhen. I'm not even sure what is in Shenzhen in particular to see and do.

I ranked the Japan ones on top, as I live here in this area, and I like this area quite a bit.

Kuala Lumpur is real interesting though, and becoming very very international. Perhaps if I didn't live in Japan, and like living here, I might even rank KL above the Japan ones. But, I like Japan too, so I'll keep it as is.

Both Hanoi and Taipei are interesting too, but just completely different once again. I have to rank them at the bottom half, not because I don't like them, but because I quite like Japan and KL.
How different are Osaka and Kyoto from each other? Are they extremely similar/twin cities or do they have some noticeable differences?

I found out recently Osaka has around 2.7 million people and Kyoto around 1.4 million. It is very impressive that these two cities are literally less than 30 miles away from each other and less than 30 minutes by car/train/bus.

Also, Nagoya and Kobe are less than one hour and a half from Osaka and Kyoto it seems like.

Some people think for major big cities in Japan, it is only Tokyo but that is far from the truth since Japan also has Kyoto, Osaka, Sapporo, Yokohama, Nagoya, and Kobe for other major big cities.

I am not sure how I would rank these 6 cities yet for myself. I think I would have Taipei, Kyoto, and Osaka somewhere in the top, and Kuala Lumpur, Hanoi at the bottom overall.

However, that is true they all seem interesting and good to see and experience.

I am sure there are still plenty of things to do in Shenzhen, just like the other 5 cities. It is impressive Shenzhen went from a small fishing village to a huge metropolis of 10 million people in just 25 years to 30 years from 1970s/1980s to 2012. Also, it is awesome Shenzhen is less than 60 miles/one hour away from Hong Kong.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 03-10-2012 at 02:46 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
I like all of them. Kyoto-Osaka would be my top list for obvious reasons. It's a perfect route for Japanese modern and cultural trip. And Osaka has amazing food finds.
Shenzen would be in my indifferent. As there's no reason for me to visit there. If I would pick a Chinese city, it would be Hangzhou or Lijiang.
I think I like all of them too based on what I know about them so far and by the responses in this thread so far.

Hong Kong being less than one hour/60 miles away from Shenzhen seems to take a lot of foreign interest and attention away from Shenzhen because of that.

However, I am sure there are some or plenty of reasons to visit Shenzhen.

I never heard of Hangzhou and Lijiang before.

What are Hangzhou and Lijiang like, and what reasons for picking those 2 cities over Shanghai and Hong Kong?

Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
How different are Osaka and Kyoto from each other? Are they extremely similar/twin cities or do they have some noticeable differences?

I found out recently Osaka has around 2.7 million people and Kyoto around 1.4 million. It is very impressive that these two cities are literally less than 30 miles away from each other and less than 30 minutes by car/train/bus.

Also, Nagoya and Kobe are less than one hour and a half from Osaka and Kyoto it seems like.
Kyoto and Osaka are completely different cities. Very little in common.

Osaka has the 'high energy' and just more 'grit' and businesspeople and livliness and everything. Most of the best comedians come out of Osaka, and they are known to be very outgoing and sociable.

Kyoto is the very laid-back, quaint, relaxing, scenic, etc. People are more reserved, polished, refined, etc.

Kobe is again quite different. It's sandwhiched on a mountain slope that leads into the ocean. So you have views everywhere, ocean culture and a port, and sea breezes, and everything else.

Nagoya is completely different once again. Nagoya is the flat, spread-out, well-designed with lots of straight (i.e. boring) avenues. Lots of monuments and just completely different. It's kind of 'like an American city' in design feel...sort of.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-10-2012 at 03:18 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 AM

189 posts, read 558,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I think I like all of them too based on what I know about them so far and by the responses in this thread so far.

Hong Kong being less than one hour/60 miles away from Shenzhen seems to take a lot of foreign interest and attention away from Shenzhen because of that.

However, I am sure there are some or plenty of reasons to visit Shenzhen.

I never heard of Hangzhou and Lijiang before.

What are Hangzhou and Lijiang like, and what reasons for picking those 2 cities over Shanghai and Hong Kong?
Shenzhen is just a dull industrial city for me. And I'm not really a fan of those kind. Shanghai is interesting. I like big cities.

Oh Hangzhou is a captivating city. It's clean, scenic and rich in culture. It's not a very overwhelming city like Shanghai, but it is a fascinating and charming one.

Lijiang is just a small city. It's very period-like. Most of the structures are centuries old. You'll feel like, you've been transported back in time.

Google them for pictures lol.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 AM

3,664 posts, read 8,836,042 times
I wouldn't have listed Kyoto. If I lived in Osaka, I could get to Kyoto in less than an hour. That being said, I'd rather live in Osaka (area). Taipei would be cool to visit. I've been to KL once and it was cool, but not a city I'd live in. I'm not sure of the other two.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Kyoto and Osaka are completely different cities. Very little in common.

Osaka has the 'high energy' and just more 'grit' and businesspeople and livliness and everything. Most of the best comedians come out of Osaka, and they are known to be very outgoing and sociable.

Kyoto is the very laid-back, quaint, relaxing, scenic, etc. People are more reserved, polished, refined, etc.

Kobe is again quite different. It's sandwhiched on a mountain slope that leads into the ocean. So you have views everywhere, ocean culture and a port, and sea breezes, and everything else.

Nagoya is completely different once again. Nagoya is the flat, spread-out, well-designed with lots of straight (i.e. boring) avenues. Lots of monuments and just completely different. It's kind of 'like an American city' in design feel...sort of.
That is great and interesting that Kyoto and Osaka are very different cities from each other! This is especially because these two major big cities are just 30 miles away from each other and around 30 minutes away by car/train/bus.

It is also impressive Nagoya and Kobe, 2 other cities less than one hour and a half away are different from each other too.

A total of 4 major cities that are different from each other in such close geographic distance.

It seems like the transition went well for you with moving from Niigata to Osaka. I remember you said before you lived in Niigata.

How was Niigata and did you still enjoy that city/town?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
Shenzhen is just a dull industrial city for me. And I'm not really a fan of those kind. Shanghai is interesting. I like big cities.

Oh Hangzhou is a captivating city. It's clean, scenic and rich in culture. It's not a very overwhelming city like Shanghai, but it is a fascinating and charming one.

Lijiang is just a small city. It's very period-like. Most of the structures are centuries old. You'll feel like, you've been transported back in time.

Google them for pictures lol.
Shanghai seems amazing and interesting.

Shanghai is much better than Shenzhen, but Shenzhen does not seem dull and still seems good/decent. Also, Shenzhen has a vibrant recent history of going from a small fishing village to a huge metropolis in just 25/30 years from 1970s/1980s to 2012. It probably was the fastest growing city in the world during this time.

Hong Kong is less than one hour away from Shenzhen, which helps it but also hurts it in some ways. They both have close business, trade, and social links with each other.

Also, Shenzhen is less than one hour away from Guangzhou and both of those cities are part of Pearl River Delta Mega City region that has up to 40 million people.

Both Hangzhou and Lijiang seem great too, including based on the photos in Google images.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or