U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
lol man, when I was in Moscow/St. Pete they were all so goddamn skinny. The men and the women. I think you have to go to asia to get skinnier...
Russians are skinny in Vladivostok as well. I didn't think it was possible for an entire country of white women to be that model-looking until I visited Vladivostok.

Older Russian woman have a stereotype for balooning up, but when I was in Vladivostok, I didn't notice any of the older babushkas. Way too many young attractive Russian women absolutely everywhere to notice anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 04:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,079,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Russians are skinny in Vladivostok as well. I didn't think it was possible for an entire country of white women to be that model-looking until I visited Vladivostok.

Older Russian woman have a stereotype for balooning up, but when I was in Vladivostok, I didn't notice any of the older babushkas. Way too many young attractive Russian women absolutely everywhere to notice anything else.
I never had a thing for Russian women until I went to Russia. It seems like the USA got most of the ugly ones. We gotta rethink our immigration policies

Anyways man, when I was going to fly up there everyone I talked to was raving about the women and I was just yeah, yeah sure. How beautiful can they be... I arrived in December and just I was freezing my ass off, and so many BEAUTIFUL women in mini skirts showing off what their mom gave them. Did I mention it was freezing They were also very nice, the Russian people in general. I had a stereotype of Russian's being cold to outsiders and even racist not the case to me.

When I got back me and my friend crashed some Russian/slavic cultural society in LA. Lol, nowhere near as good looking. I dunno what happens to them when they get here.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Quote:
lol man, when I was in Moscow/St. Pete they were all so goddamn skinny. The men and the women. I think you have to go to asia to get skinnier...
Maybe the hot young things. I think it's an age thing. I too noticed a few very thin, model-like Russian women, often with bulk, Mafia/KGB looking guys covered in tatts.

But as for Russian people over the age of 40? You gotta come to Thailand and Vietnam, so many fat Russians on the beach, the resorts, just walking around. What's more they're not afraid of letting it all hang out, the men in speedos and the women in bikinis.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I never had a thing for Russian women until I went to Russia. It seems like the USA got most of the ugly ones. We gotta rethink our immigration policies

Anyways man, when I was going to fly up there everyone I talked to was raving about the women and I was just yeah, yeah sure. How beautiful can they be... I arrived in December and just I was freezing my ass off, and so many BEAUTIFUL women in mini skirts showing off what their mom gave them. Did I mention it was freezing They were also very nice, the Russian people in general. I had a stereotype of Russian's being cold to outsiders and even racist not the case to me.

When I got back me and my friend crashed some Russian/slavic cultural society in LA. Lol, nowhere near as good looking. I dunno what happens to them when they get here.
At least when I was in Vladivostok, it seemed to all be sit-down Russian restaurants, and people were always walking around absolutely everywhere, at least in the downtown busy area that I was at.

Parts of the States just is way too car culture and fast-food oriented...not easy for people to walk around.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
At least when I was in Vladivostok, it seemed to all be sit-down Russian restaurants, and people were always walking around absolutely everywhere, at least in the downtown busy area that I was at.

Parts of the States just is way too car culture and fast-food oriented...not easy for people to walk around.
I wonder if Vladivostok is like another world compared to Moscow. Did you notice a lot of Chinese tourists/expats there? I even heard a wild claim that Eastern Russia might be majority Chinese in 50 years time. Interchange between the two countries is definitely increasing. Russians are number one or two in number of tourists visiting the PRC, and quite a few Chinese actually visit Russia these days.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,392,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
All of these statistics are dubious. In nearly all countries, weights are self-reported. If a certain culture takes pride in being "well fed", or where "pleasantly plump" is fashionable, more people will over-state their weight, or perhaps even prefer to be fat. Only a few countries have statistics based on medical determinations of weight, and even in those, the clinical definition of obesity might vary.

In modern times, peninsular Arab women are very unlikely to care about their weight, since they are never seen in public wearing anything that would reveal their figure.

In the USA today, the clinical definition of obese is extremely conservative, and an American looking quite fit and healthy can very well fit the clinical definition obese, and nearly everyone is either "overweight" or anorexic. On American standard height-weight tables, a man who is 6'0" tall is "overweight" if he weighs more than 187. That would include almost every professional athlete.
The measurement is not perfect, because it doesnt take muscle mass and fat into account, and instead focuses on height and weight. However, I would say at least 75% it is probably accurate. Sure you might run into someone that is 6'2 and 230 pounds of solid muscle, but that is rare.

Also, I would argue that is not healthy. Take football players for instance. They might be athletes but I wouldnt call someone training as a linebacker to be healthy. As soon as they stop their intense conditioning all that muscle is going to turn into fat.

Unless you are playing some sport, or are a hardcore body builder you dont want to be over your recommended weight even if it is all muscle.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder if Vladivostok is like another world compared to Moscow. Did you notice a lot of Chinese tourists/expats there? I even heard a wild claim that Eastern Russia might be majority Chinese in 50 years time. Interchange between the two countries is definitely increasing. Russians are number one or two in number of tourists visiting the PRC, and quite a few Chinese actually visit Russia these days.
I saw very, very few Chinese (or other Asian) tourists in Vladivostok.

Although, I have read that many Chinese are becoming very entrepreneural and heading towards Siberia....I just didn't see it at all in Vladivostok.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I saw very, very few Chinese (or other Asian) tourists in Vladivostok.

Although, I have read that many Chinese are becoming very entrepreneural and heading towards Siberia....I just didn't see it at all in Vladivostok.
Interesting...how long ago was that?

Were there a lot of ethnic Siberian tribal groups or did the majority look European Russian?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Interesting...how long ago was that?

Were there a lot of ethnic Siberian tribal groups or did the majority look European Russian?
Maybe 2006, if I remember correctly.

People looked VERY European Russian. Occassionally I'd see a Russian person who had very brunette hair, or the occassional somewhat Asian-looking Russian, but they were few and far between.

The mass majority looked very European Russian, with the entire spectrum of bleached blondes and bleached red hairs. Mostly pale pasty skin, etc.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:51 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,079,025 times
Quote:
Maybe the hot young things. I think it's an age thing. I too noticed a few very thin, model-like Russian women, often with bulk, Mafia/KGB looking guys covered in tatts.

But as for Russian people over the age of 40? You gotta come to Thailand and Vietnam, so many fat Russians on the beach, the resorts, just walking around. What's more they're not afraid of letting it all hang out, the men in speedos and the women in bikinis.
I didn't notice any women over the age of 30, my eyes were occupied with younger russkie snow birds

Funny story, now that we're on the topic of fat russian chicks. When I was chatting up the owner in his coyote ugly bar in some part of Moscow some fat chick decided to get up on the bar and begin dancing (any girl is welcome to do that...). He got extremely offended, pointed at her, and apologized to me for "having to see that pig" and had security pull her down. Lol, that's what I mean about Russians being so nice.

But yeah I noticed Russians out of Russia got either banged up faces or are fat. I don't know why. The only time I saw a bunch of Russian tourists were in European beaches. But I tried to crash some Russian/Slavic things in the states and same thing ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or