U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
London 34 44.16%
Tokyo 43 55.84%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,608,889 times

Advertisements

Neither. The citizens of both drive on the wrong side of the street. Since that almost got me in "big trouble" jaywalking from Victoria Station in London to cross the street, I'm weird about this issue.

Ok, the answer would be London. I look more dark Brit/dark Irish than I do my own ethnicity, so I'd blend right in. And I like meat and potatoes. Bring on the London Broil.

I'd like to see Tokyo someday. I just keep going to the same overseas places over and over, that I've never made time to go to Asia or Oceania.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Well, Tokyo isn't my preferred city in Asia. On that note, London isn't my preferred city in Europe either.

But, 100% Tokyo. I love Asian cities more than European cities.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 PM

956 posts, read 1,545,824 times
Tokyo is unsafe because of the radiation, nuff said.

Radioactive Cesium Is Found in Tokyo Tap Water for First Time Since April - Bloomberg

Radioactive Cesium found in breast milk of Tokyo women Japan Nuclear Crisis

Stronium Found In Tokyo, High Cesium In Front Of METI Building | SimplyInfo

Tokyo Bay Radioactive Cesium Deposits Now Over 10 Inches Deep -- Earth Changes -- Sott.net

Old 03-16-2012, 11:26 PM

218 posts, read 590,536 times
MY Personal preference

- Architecture
LONDON. It looks more sophisticated and smoothly done in general. The modern and classical structures look complimentary to each other. The Tower Bridge is one of my favorite structures in the world.

- Weather
TOKYO. Japan prides itself for it's four seasons, and I couldn't agree more how beautiful their climate is. The beautiful blossoms in spring, scenic foliage in autumn, mild winter and sunny summers.

- Culture
TOKYO. Tokyo is oozing with culture. Modern or traditional. Harmoniously being kept together. The Shinto and Buddhist cultures are evidently showing in their temples and shrines. And in another district, the eccentric colorful cultures in Shibuya.

- Tourist sites
TOKYO & LONDON. They both are meccas of tourism. Each cater unique and different experience and sights. It would be foolish to say, one is better than the other.

- Nightlife
LONDON. Great crowd, great place. And not a pain in your budget. London has great clubs and pubs. Great diverse music from rock to electronic. I'm personally a fan of trance music, and London has great places for trance fans like me.

- Public Transit
TOKYO. Japan in general has impressive public transportation. Safe and clean.

My pick: Both of them

Old 03-17-2012, 02:31 AM

22,135 posts, read 23,648,900 times
- Architecture: London generally, but there's a lot of interesting stuff in Tokyo. Too bad all that firebombing destroyed a lot of the historical architecture
- Weather: Tokyo, definitely, Tokyo
- Culture: A bit of a tie, I guess Tokyo is more interesting to me. The music scene there is amazingly varied.
- Tourist sites: Probably London, though it feels like a lot of European sites are stripped of ritual or purpose outside of being a tourist site. I do love museum-going though.
- Nightlife: London, probably. Tokyo nightlife is fun enough, but I don't speak enough Japanese to really make full use of it.
- Public Transit: Tokyo's is better, but way more confusing. It also shuts down a bit earlier than I like and taxis are super expensive. Tie?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
Drunk man I am also a trance man lol and like you say London provides a wealth of all different types of music.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
So like I said, I'll just hangout, watch a football game, go to gigs, smoke a pot, get drunk, throw up, pass out and wake up. I'll enjoy London more that way, than see wax figures in Madame Tussauds
Fair enough but that sounds like a good time!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 AM

3,669 posts, read 8,840,225 times
For me, overall I would prefer to live in Tokyo (metro area, not necessarily in the city). I think I could get used to living in London, but the only drawback is the weather. London has the climate of Seattle, but without the beautiful scenery and natural landscape of Seattle. The gloomy weather tends to reflect in the moods of the people (also similar to Seattle). Although where London lacks in its Seattle-like scenery, it makes up for with its New York-like culture, size/density, and public transit system. The other drawback to London is it's expensive, but then again so is Tokyo. One advantage of London over Tokyo is less of a language barrier. Just to throw this in there, but cities (and countries) have beautiful, sexy women, and I love how they dress (which are similar).

Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,842,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, Tokyo isn't my preferred city in Asia. On that note, London isn't my preferred city in Europe either.

But, 100% Tokyo. I love Asian cities more than European cities.
My preferred cities in Asia are Hong Kong and Shanghai compared to Tokyo. Taipei, Seoul, Bangkok, and Singapore I equally prefer just as much as Tokyo.

For Europe, my preferred city is Paris compared to London. Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Berlin I equally prefer just as much as London.

London and Tokyo are still high up there though for the continents they are in and how desirable, interesting, exciting, and charming they are. This is still true even if they may not be at the absolute top for plenty of people, and being in continents that are filled with a wide range of phenomenal places.

What are your top preferred cities in Europe and Asia?

I love European and Asian cities equally.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 03-18-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,018,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
London is great, but it could turn dull easily.
Its one of the least likely cities in the world to turn dull easily. Guess you've never heard the famous quote about London attributed to Samuel Johnson.

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or