U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
London 34 44.16%
Tokyo 43 55.84%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Its one of the least likely cities in the world to turn dull easily. Guess you've never heard the famous quote about London attributed to Samuel Johnson.

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
I don’t understand extremely provincial quotes such as that.

Who is Samuel Johnson!? Lol I just looked it up and so what if this one person from the 18th century(200 years+ ago) thinks that about London? I don’t think that person was serious with that quote.

It is up to individuals to decide what places interest/excite them the most and places that don’t. There is no need for quotes that make false generalizations such as that.

However, I do agree London is one of the least likely cities in the world to turn dull easily for someone’s perception. I just completely disagree with quotes such as that.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 AM

697 posts, read 1,158,185 times
LOL - two very different cities and not really two cities I would even think of comparing.

It all depends what you want from a city. A change is as good as a rest is what they say and Tokyo is an amazing place and very different from Europe and North America, indeed it's always refreshing to see some where new and experience new things. This applies both ways and you get a good deal of Japanese visiting London.

I think it's already been repeated numerous times that London is a great city with great museums, theatre-land and is one of the worlds great cultural cities.

http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/...s-about-london

In terms of Tokyo it is a wonderful city, although I would have thought it more comparable to other Asian rivals and particuarly Hong Kong or perhaps even Singapore than London.

Last edited by Mulhall; 03-19-2012 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 AM

218 posts, read 590,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
What are your top preferred cities in Europe and Asia?
I prefer Geneva, Vienna & Munich. London would probably be in my top 6 or 7 city.

Asia, I prefer Osaka over Tokyo. Tokyo would be in my top 3 or 4 city.

Generally, I prefer South American cities like Valparaiso, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Fortaleza, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, etc.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
For me, overall I would prefer to live in Tokyo (metro area, not necessarily in the city). I think I could get used to living in London, but the only drawback is the weather. London has the climate of Seattle, but without the beautiful scenery and natural landscape of Seattle. The gloomy weather tends to reflect in the moods of the people (also similar to Seattle). Although where London lacks in its Seattle-like scenery, it makes up for with its New York-like culture, size/density, and public transit system. The other drawback to London is it's expensive, but then again so is Tokyo. One advantage of London over Tokyo is less of a language barrier. Just to throw this in there, but cities (and countries) have beautiful, sexy women, and I love how they dress (which are similar).
I think Seattle weather is a lot more extreme thaN London. London tends to have mild winters and cool summers, and shares more in common with Paris (212 miles away) than Seattle. Seattle tends to get far colder in the winter but has much better summers. Both cities do get a bit grey and overcast though and I suppose this can effect peoples emotions and psyche.

I do like Seattle though, and the city has a very creative vibe. If I were to compare it too a British City it would probably be Manchester. Manchester is noted for it's rainfall is surrounded by beautiful pennine hills and has been one of the most creative cities in the world in terms of it's size. Manchester has been very dominant in terms of the music scene, something it also shares with Seattle. If grunge had come from a British city I would have put my money on it having come out of Manchester.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:05 AM

22,116 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
I think Seattle weather is a lot more extreme thaN London. London tends to have mild winters and cool summers, and shares more in common with Paris (212 miles away) than Seattle. Seattle tends to get far colder in the winter but has much better summers. Both cities do get a bit grey and overcast though and I suppose this can effect peoples emotions and psyche.

I do like Seattle though, and the city has a very creative vibe. If I were to compare it too a British City it would probably be Manchester. Manchester is noted for it's rainfall is surrounded by beautiful pennine hills and has been one of the most creative cities in the world in terms of it's size. Manchester has been very dominant in terms of the music scene, something it also shares with Seattle. If grunge had come from a British city I would have put my money on it having come out of Manchester.
I was looking at the charts and it looks like they have almost the same exact temperature throughout the year, month by month. What did look different though was the precipitation pattern with London having moderate amounts throughout the entire year (between 40 and 69 mm a month) while Seattle spikes strongly in the winter (140-160 mm) for a bit, rapidly descends in spring (50-90 nm), is far drier in summer (20-40 mm) and then ascends again in the fall (30-80 nm).

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I was looking at the charts and it looks like they have almost the same exact temperature throughout the year, month by month. What did look different though was the precipitation pattern with London having moderate amounts throughout the entire year (between 40 and 69 mm a month) while Seattle spikes strongly in the winter (140-160 mm) for a bit, rapidly descends in spring (50-90 nm), is far drier in summer (20-40 mm) and then ascends again in the fall (30-80 nm).
They both have oceanic climates, but then again so does a large proportion of Europe and places such as Melbourne in Australia. There are differences within oceanic climates and like I initially stated London has more in common with nearby cities such as Brussels and Paris than it does Seattle.

Oceanic climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 PM

136 posts, read 180,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
They both have oceanic climates, but then again so does a large proportion of Europe and places such as Melbourne in Australia. There are differences within oceanic climates and like I initially stated London has more in common with nearby cities such as Brussels and Paris than it does Seattle.

Oceanic climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually if you compare the monthly temps of London and Seattle I doubt you could find 2 large cities that are any more similar. Surprisingly Seattle is quite a bit sunnier throughout the year.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,063,554 times
Tokyo. But then again it's my favorite city in the entire world.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,068,944 times
London is good.
Tokyo is recommended for travel.
Long stay is not recommended.
Tokyo has been contaminated with radioactivity.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:00 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
London is good.
Tokyo is recommended for travel.
Long stay is not recommended.
Tokyo has been contaminated with radioactivity.
Tokyo and the people that visit and live there do not have to worry about that.

Only trace amounts of that was found, or even less.

The only area that has to worry and is having huge difficulties from moving on is a small part of Japan that is northeast of Tokyo/Tokyo metro in Northeastern Coastal Honshu. This is 5% or less of Japan geographically.

About 95% of Japan(maybe as much as 98%) does not really have to worry about that and is easily 100% moving on from the event that happened one year before.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 03-24-2012 at 03:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or