Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
London 34 44.16%
Tokyo 43 55.84%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 5 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
I prefer Geneva, Vienna & Munich. London would probably be in my top 6 or 7 city.

Asia, I prefer Osaka over Tokyo. Tokyo would be in my top 3 or 4 city.

Generally, I prefer South American cities like Valparaiso, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Fortaleza, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, etc.
For Europe, I think London is 2nd after Paris for myself but it could still be a bit lower such as somewhere between 3rd to 8th place as there are plenty of places I enjoy in Europe. Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Berlin compete for 3rd to 8th place for me currently.

There are also plenty of places I enjoy in Asia. Tokyo is somewhere between 3rd to 8th place for myself. Hong Kong and Shanghai decisively take 1st and 2nd place. Tokyo competes with Bangkok, Taipei, Seoul, and Singapore for 3rd to 8th place.

Munich, Vienna, and Osaka are recently discovered cities for my perception in those 2 continents. I don’t know how I would rank those cities for myself in this subject yet. Lol

Geneva makes my top 10 to 15 in Europe.

For South American cities, Buenos Aires and Santiago decisively make 1st and 2nd place. Sao Paolo is probably 3rd.

I am not sure how I would rank Valparaiso, Montevideo, Fortaleza, Recife, and Rio de Janeiro for myself.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:30 PM

207 posts, read 707,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
For Europe, I think London is 2nd after Paris for myself but it could still be a bit lower such as somewhere between 3rd to 8th place as there are plenty of places I enjoy in Europe. Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Berlin compete for 3rd to 8th place for me currently.

There are also plenty of places I enjoy in Asia. Tokyo is somewhere between 3rd to 8th place for myself. Hong Kong and Shanghai decisively take 1st and 2nd place. Tokyo competes with Bangkok, Taipei, Seoul, and Singapore for 3rd to 8th place.

Munich, Vienna, and Osaka are recently discovered cities for my perception in those 2 continents. I don’t know how I would rank those cities for myself in this subject yet. Lol

Geneva makes my top 10 to 15 in Europe.

For South American cities, Buenos Aires and Santiago decisively make 1st and 2nd place. Sao Paolo is probably 3rd.

I am not sure how I would rank Valparaiso, Montevideo, Fortaleza, Recife, and Rio de Janeiro for myself.
Ehh, Sao Paolo is so congested, concrete jungle & suffocating. Recife, Fortaleza & Rio are way more attractive.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choroneko View Post
I'd like to live and visit to both of them. But a big part of me wants to live in the outskirts rather than in the city itself, especially Tokyo where real estate or housing is a btch.

For visiting, I'd be much more interested visiting Tokyo over and over again. I've been in Tokyo twice. And in my 2 visits, I experience different things from another.

Overall; architecture, transport, culture, etc. Tokyo has more edge to me. It has managed to keep it's traditional culture and perfectly blended it with their modern pop culture. The transportation is very impressive too. I can travel to Kyushu and Hokkaido very easily by train.
Nightlife may not be the best, but it has some of the greatest restaurants and other amusements like parks, specialty stores and a pet place. Being the geek that I am, their toy stores are heaven to me. And I like the fact that there's always an event somewhere in Tokyo.
Weather is beautiful, but summers are brutal. I'm used to very hot climate anyway, coming from tropical Malaysia.

London is great, but it could turn dull easily. Their royal palace look great, old archictures look beautiful, cafes seem wonderful. Their nightlife seems one of the best. I just can't think of any other things to do or see in London.
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." — Samuel Johnson

Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 PM

55 posts, read 133,822 times
I would love to see both cities I'd love to visit London for the museums, architecture, shopping, and music. I'd love to visit Tokyo for the modern pop culture, museums, and shopping.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:56 PM

142 posts, read 442,865 times
London.

I'd like to visit Tokyo and several of my friends have been and enjoyed it. However, Japan seems to have a monoculture, which ultimately i'd grow tired of fairly quickly.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 AM

6,542 posts, read 12,037,130 times
After visiting London for the second time recently, I have grown to appreciate that city more. It is now my 2nd favorite city in the world after Tokyo. London might have the rainy and gloomy weather, but it does not have the risks of natural disasters, especially earthquakes, that Tokyo has.

London and Tokyo have many similarities. For one their size and being the most dominant cities in their respective continents, and being financial and fashion capitals. Both have a high cost of living, low crime rates, and conveniant and efficient mass transit systems.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 PM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I have visited both cities many times. I would flip a coin because they are both global world class cities.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:55 AM

69 posts, read 85,539 times
Which city do you prefer to live in or visit? Which do you think has better:

- Architecture
London is better, Tokyo has nice architecture too but the main problem is that the architecture arrangement in Tokyo looks a bit like concrete jungle.

- Weather
Both are good, but Tokyo's summer is slightly warmer than London.

- Culture
Depends, if you like western culture London is for you. But if you are a big fan of Asian culture, Tokyo is for you.

- Tourist sites
Both are great

- Nightlife
London is slightly better, although Tokyo is not really that bad

- Public Transit
Both are complicated to navigate but very well-made.

I would rather visit Tokyo and live in London.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:02 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
I hated London so Tokyo wins for me.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:36 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,315 times
Both London and Tokyo were expensive but since the USD is getting strong against the ¥¥¥ I was able to spend and have more fun in Tokyo compared to London!

Tokyo is not my favorite big city in Japan (Osaka and Sapporo get my vote), but I felt safer over there than in London where people with knives tried to open my luggage when I am not looking or being pickpocketed which never happened to me in Paris or other European capitals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia