U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 02:06 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually I've met a few Japanese who were extremely extroverted and loud. One, an older Japanese man who was 70 actually, whom I met on a day tour in Vietnam, loudly led the bus in singing some songs and was the life of the party. He'd recently taken up scuba diving, at the age of 70, and was a master in the art of traditional flower arranging...his wife was also really cool, barely knew English but was very excitable as many Japanese seem to be.
I've met a good number of Japanese who are fairly extroverted. A couple years ago, I was walking around San Francisco and wearing a pair of bright red, Ferrari special edition Pumas. A group of younger Japanese tourists walked by and one of them, a guy, went, "I... LOVE YOUR SHOES!" and gave me a huge thumbs up. Also, about two weeks ago, I had parked my S2000 (which is extensively modified in and out with custom bodywork, wheels, etc) in front of a 7-11 when a minibus full of Japanese tourists pulled up and filed out. When I came outside, a couple of them were snapping pictures of it, with one of them kneeling behind it to get a "night shot" with the 7-11 in the background. This led to a conversation in broken English and Japanese (I took it for a year, but am extremely rusty) in which one of them told me that he had a Civic Type-R that he raced back home and that he loved the way my car looked; we exchanged emails and he sent me the pictures the took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli
On more comment, for those who think it is hard to tell one from another among East Asians, the Asians have the same trouble with white folks as well. Many older Asians have a hard time watching American TV shows or movies because in their eyes, everybody looks the same! :P It is only when you are exposed to them for an extended period of time can you tell that everyone does look indeed quite different.
I remember when my first Asian-American girlfriend looked at me for a moment while we were driving and then said, "you don't look American." My family is mostly Swedish, so I have much stronger, sharper and more defined facial features than a lot of other "white" guys here: big nose, huge chin, angular jaw, strong brow, long forehead, etc. She and a later girlfriend who was Japanese told me that I looked like the "Europeans" they read in fantasy mangas... and, a friend's dad told me that I "had a very classic face... like... Napoleon!"

Old 08-31-2012, 02:21 PM

77 posts, read 182,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
There are physical differences bewtween northern and southern Chinese.

Southern Chinese, particularly in Guangdong, Guangxi, Hainan Provinces etc have a higher percentage of people with double eyelids, which is considered pretty in the east Asian culture. While in the north more have only one fold. On average about 50% of Chinese are born with double eyelids.

Southern Chinese are shorter, darker. Stats show that average height of a male from Beijing or northern provinces are 173-174cm, while the average in Guangdong, Yunan etc is 167-169cm, so the difference is significant, statistically speaking.

Southern Chinese also tend to have shorter and flatter nose, particularly in most southern Provinces. They also tend to have a lot less facial or body hair than their northern counterparts. You will be surprised to find many Southern Chinese males have next to no boby hair, with completely smooth legs and arms, much smoother than most white GIRLS (if they don't shave I mean) Chest hair is also non-existent among them, but a lot more observable among northern men (still much less than Caucasians of course).

As a matter of fact, Chinese from the most southern provinces including Hong Kong share more in common with Southeast Asians, such as Vietnamese and Thai, than northern Chinese.

Of course all the above are not absolute. People move around and intermarry in China, just like in any other countries. many who live in Guangdong actually originated from Liaoning 100 years ago, and in big cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, you see people from all around the country.

However, the general physical difference is undeniable.

On more comment, for those who think it is hard to tell one from another among East Asians, the Asians have the same trouble with white folks as well. Many older Asians have a hard time watching American TV shows or movies because in their eyes, everybody looks the same! :P It is only when you are exposed to them for an extended period of time can you tell that everyone does look indeed quite different.
Be careful when you state that Southern Chinese have more in common with Southeast Asians than Northern Chinese. Although there are some groups that do have a high degree of similarity, (in particular, especially minority groups, who are NOT ethnically Han Chinese.) many of them if not most do not.

SE Asians are DEFFINITELY ethnically distinct from Southern Chinese. First, almost everyone of Malay descent is VERY ethnically distinct from any Southern Chinese, barring people with extremely high actual Southern Chinese admixture.

Secondly, ethnic Thais, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Lao and people from Myanmar are also ethnically distinct from Southern Chinese. They are often darker and have distinctly different features.

Due to the fact that many Southern Chinese migrated in large numbers to SE Asia, yes you will find many SE Asians of Southern Chinese origin or w/slight admixture who look very similar to S. Chinese. However, the majority in SE Asia are quite different to S. Chinese.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:16 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,415,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I on the contrary think it is very easy to tell them apart by demeanor. The Japanese in particular act very very differently, especially when they apologize like the situation you described. They tend to do a slight bow (like 10-15 degrees) all the time. The Chinese almost never bow.
A candid observation, indeed.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Do not compare Overseas Asians with the other 99% of Asians living in Asia, particularly the Chinese and Japanese.

This is like using German Americans as representation of German characteristics. For example, for many years, actual specific villages in Guangdong or Fujian represented over 70% of immigration, and let's not forget how people change after generations abroad. How European is George W. Bush?
No there are a ton of people from Korea, China, Japan etc who are tourists, on working holidays etc. I'm talking about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or