U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your overall pick?
Singapore 8 18.60%
Bangkok 5 11.63%
Hong Kong 30 69.77%
Beijing 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

I chose these four because I've been to them:

Skyline:

1. Hong Kong
2. Singapore
3. Beijing
4. Bangkok

This one is a no-brainer. Hong Kong's skyline beats NYC in my opinion.

Natural setting:

1. Hong Kong
2. Singapore
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

Only Hong Kong has an impressive setting, as well as some cool islands to escape to. Not much but farmland surrounding both BKK and Beijing, although BKK is close to some decent if over-crowded beaches.

Architecture:

1. Beijing
2. Hong Kong
3. Singapore
4. Bangkok

This one is subjective...Beijing has the most interesting historical neighbourhoods, Bangkok has the most spectacular temples, but is let down by having a ton of ugly buildings. HK has the best modern buildings of the lot.

Culture:

1. Beijing
2. Singapore
3. Bangkok
4. Hong Kong

Beijing is the clear winner, being the oldest city with the most UNESCO listed heritage sites. It is still the centre for classical Chinese culture. Singapore has a diverse range of culture, and different neighbourhoods showing it's diverse history and ethnic groups, from Little India to Bugis Street to the Arab Quarter.

Entertainment:

1. Bangkok/Hong Kong
2.Beijing/Singapore

This one was hard to pick as the scenes are so different. All of these cities have a decent nightlife scene as well as plenty to do during the day. Bangkok's nightlife is still a bit cheaper than the rest, although Hong Kong is more upmarket. Beijing and Singapore come in a very close second though, Singapore is actually a fun city despite it's reputation.

Friendliness of people:

1. Bangkok
2. Beijing
3. Singapore
4. Hong Kong

Thais in Bangkok are the least friendly in the country, and a lot of it is fake friendliness, but Singapore and Hong Kong are notoriously cold-faced. I can't speak for Beijing too much as fewer people spoke English, but the people I did encounter were fairly friendly and helpful.

Food:

1. Singapore
2. Bangkok
3. Hong Kong
4. Beijing

This is subjective, but Singapore wins for sheer variety. Native Malaysian/Singaporean cuisine, as well as Indian, Chinese, and pretty decent Western cuisine for an Asian city. I prefer Thai food over Cantonese, while Beijing cuisine is hit and miss.

Overall:

Although it may not calculate in the polls, but I'd have to actually go for my other hometown, Singapore. Although I was 1 when I left, I still do have an attachment for Singapura, the Lion City. It is pretty unique in the world, and despite it's detractions (some of which I agree with) it is a nice city. My opinion of it has improved.

Overall ranking:

Singapore
Beijing/Hong Kong
Bangkok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 03:04 PM

218 posts, read 590,225 times
First of, I wish it was Shanghai, instead of Beijing. Shanghai is economical and global city of China.
Second, Bangkok seems really out of place here. Taipei or Seoul could have been the best choice.
The Four Asian Tigers are Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan & South Korea.

Skyline
Hong Kong is the most superior one. Singapore comes very close. Bangkok third, and Beijing last.

Natural Setting
I choose Bangkok. It seems to be greener and tropical. And great proximity to the rain forests and beaches. Singapore is second, altho it doesn't possess outstanding natural parks and beaches (Sentosa is HORRIBLE), still has great distant islands from Indonesia. Beijing third and HK last. HK's coastal is awful and the slums in some of their off coast islands.

Architecture
I'm more of a modern structure gal, HK has really impressive skyscrapers. I heard they were all designed through feng shui.
Singapore comes second. The Marina area looks really expensive. Beijing third, for a blend of modern & classic. The Bird's Nest stadium looks interesting. BKK last.

Culture
Singapore is a melting pot of Southeast Asian cultures. The diversity is great. BKK is second. Beijing, then HK.

Entertainment
Bangkok, without a doubt! The capital of FUN of the east. Where else can you find taxis with a karaoke inside lol. And the lady boys, gosh I love them, they're so fun and gay. By gay, I mean lively and cheerful. Nightlife is notorious, in both bad and good way.
I don't even care now about the other 3.

Friendliness
Bangkok, Land of Smiles. Singapore 2nd, then HK and Beijing.

Food
Singapore, one of the food capitals of the world. So many variety and fushions of cuisine.
HK cuisine is impressive.
Beijing, and lastly BKK. For I'm not a fan of Thai food. It lacks variety in comparison to the other 3.

Overall
I choose HK. It's more liveable to me than the rest. Perfect food, great public transit and lots of career opportunities. And I'm a fan of shopping. HK is shopper's paradise.

Second is Bangkok. Beautiful location, and warm people. Only holding me back is their monsoon season which creates floods. And their summer heat is brutal.

Third Singapore. Beautiful rich city, appropriate for financially secured expats. I know people in there sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 or 6 people. COL would be too high for me.

Last Beijing, it's not my favorite Chinese city. And it's only a good 2 days travel visit.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,167 posts, read 8,017,583 times
Skyline:

1. Singapore
2. Hong Kong
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

Natural setting:

1. Hong Kong
2. Bangkok
3. Hong Kong
4. Beijing

Architecture:

1. Beijing
2. Singapore
3. Hong Kong
4. Bangkok

Culture:

1. Singapore
2. Hong Kong
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

Entertainment:

1. Bangkok
2. Hong Kong
3. Singapore
4. Beijing

Friendliness of people:

1. Bangkok
2. Singapore
3. Hong Kong
4. Beijing

Food:

1. Singapore
2. Bangkok
3. Hong Kong
4. Beijing

Overall ranking:

1. Singapore
2. Hong Kong
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM

10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Only have been to Singapore of these cities.
Going to Bangkok 8 April with my girlfriend from Phuket i met last month, will stay there for 30 days.
Did a lot of research on Hong Kong because it's very high on my "places to go list", don't know much about Beijing.

Skyline:
1. Hong Kong
2. Singapore
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

Natural setting:
1. Hong Kong
2. Singapore
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

Architecture:
1. Hong Kong
2. Singapore
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

Culture:
1. Bangkok
2. Hong Kong
3. Singapore
4. Beijing

Entertainment:
1. Bangkok
2. Hong Kong
3. Singapore/Beijing

Friendliness of people:
1. Bangkok
2. Beijing
3. Singapore
4. Hong Kong

Food:
1. Bangkok
2. Singapore
3. Hong Kong
4. Beijing

Overall ranking:
1.Hong Kong/Bangkok
2.Singapore
3.Beijing

Old 04-01-2012, 01:12 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,837,768 times
Shanghai and Seoul deserve a thread topic eventually to rank/compare/contrast with some other Asian cities if there isn’t a thread topic for it yet.

These 4 cities Asian cities (Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Beijing) are still worthy and appropriate for discussion.

Skyline:

Hong Kong: Easily one of the best skylines in the world and in the top 4 competing with New York City, Shanghai, and Chicago.

However, I do have to mention skyline is overrated in plenty of ways, even though it still can be one good aspect out of many good aspects for a city. Plus, Hong Kong/NYC/Shanghai/Chicago are all great cities for plenty of other aspects about it too.

Bangkok: Bangkok is rapidly developing a cool skyline with a ton of current high-rise construction.

Singapore: Decently good skyline. It could be better but it is good enough.

Beijing: It is always surprising to me that there are like 107 other cities in China with better skylines than its Capital city of 19 million people. Lol

Well, 107 is a sarcastic exaggeration but China has plenty of cities with better skylines than Beijing.

Natural setting:

Hong Kong: Such an incredible natural setting for a big city with lush exotic tropical/subtropical mountains, hills, and islands all over city limits. It seems to rank in the top 20 in the world for that for major cities and close to the ranks of Seattle, Vancouver, Zurich, San Francisco, Los Angeles for urban meets nature scenery vibe/natural setting.

Bangkok: Although I a fan of 4 seasons weather, I also appreciate the landscapes tropical perpetual warm/hot weather provide. Bangkok has plenty of lush tropical scenery with plenty of awesome scenic beaches close by.

Singapore: Same as Bangkok except the beaches are much closer and right there.

Beijing: The nature scenery is not that good for Beijing’s location. Too semi-arid for it to be lush, and still not dry enough for desert scenery.

Regardless of that, there is still some mountainous/hilly terrain nearby that goes well with the Great Wall of China structure, and a bit further away, vast desert scenery areas that has its own charm.

Architecture:

Hong Kong: Some of the best modern high-rise architecture in the world. Also a lot of the buildings are designed based on cool interesting feng shui principles.

Hong Kong seems to lack a bit in historic architecture but it seems to still have some great historic architecture in some areas too.

Bangkok: A pleasant mix of high-rise modern and lower rise historic architecture.

Beijing: What Beijing lacks in for skyline it seems to make up for it in historic architecture and historic neighborhoods. Quite a sharp contrast to the architecture Hong Kong offers.

Singapore: I assume Singapore’s architecture is decently good and with a mix of modern and historic general styles, but compared to the other 3 cities, it is last place for Architecture.

Culture:

Hong Kong: All 4 cities have thriving, impressive, interesting culture. Also, 3 out of these 4 cities have their own cosmopolitan/diverse mix. However, I would put Hong Kong at 1st place.

Singapore: Singapore is a close second.

Bangkok: Bangkok is a close third and still close to 1st place.

Beijing: This city in plenty of ways seems like a distant 4th compared to the other cities. For some reason, Beijing seems a tiny bit stuffy, tense, and not as diverse/cosmopolitan compared to the other 3.

It still has some good enough aspects of culture, but pales in comparison to the other 3 for plenty of aspects about it.

Entertainment:

Hong Kong/Bangkok tied for 1st place: They both seem to have an equally vibrant, exciting, impressive, unique, and diverse forms of entertainment options

Singapore: Also true for Singapore for what I said for Hong Kong and Bangkok but just a tiny bit less. And some aspects of Singapore entertainment seems a tiny bit more conservative. Despite its reputation by some people, Singapore is still an exciting city too.

Beijing: What I said for Beijing’s culture also seems to apply for entertainment.

Friendliness of People: I am not sure how I would rank them for this one so I won’t answer for this like I did for the other specific factors. All 4 cities seem to have plenty of friendly enough people.

Food scene:

Bangkok/Singapore/Hong Kong tied for 1st place: These 3 cities easily have some of the best food scenes in the world.

Beijing seems like quite a distant last place compared to the other 3 cities. Beijing most likely does not make the list for a place with one of the best food scenes in the world. Also, the original foods from there seem to suck. However, the food scene for other things it offers seems decent and good enough.

There is a huge difference between original foods from Southern China vs. Northern China with Southern Chinese food being so much better.

Overall ranking:

Hong Kong: 1st place.

Bangkok: is second place and very close to being tied for 1st place with Hong Kong.

Singapore: A somewhat distant third but I still enjoy Singapore’s existence a lot too.

Beijing: Distantly in last place when compared to the other 3 cities. Beijing is still decent and good enough.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-01-2012 at 01:23 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 04:03 AM

2,702 posts, read 4,774,838 times
Skyline :

1. HK
2. Singapore
3. Bangkok/Beijing

Natural setting :

1. HK (incredible topography, 80% greenery, etc.)
2. Singapore (it's an island after all!)
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

Architecture :

1. Singapore - just look at the Marina Bay area - incredible modern architecture; or the Gateway by Pei; plus the various colonial/ethnic areas, the shophouses, etc.
2. Beijing
3. HK despite its modern skyline
4. Bangkok

Culture :

1. Beijing - due to its long, extremely significant history
2. Singapore - 4 cultures
3. Bangkok
4. Hong Kong - very poor in that area.

Entertainment :

Too different to rank. Beijing is about culture & history, HK about buzzing city life, Singapore has 4 cultures and is building itself a reputation for some of the finest gardens in the world (check the upcoming Gardens by the Bay), etc.
I love all 4 cities in that matter.

Friendliness :

1. Beijing, from chatty taxi drivers to friendly cops and whatever
2. Singapore, though very unequal
3. Bangkok
4. Hong Kong, often rude

Food :

1. Singapore, has everything
2. Hong Kong, delicious Cantonese cuisine; the entire world's food is also well represented
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

I think you forgot to include the following :

Climate :

1. Bangkok
2. Singapore
3. Hong Kong
4. Beijing

Quality of life :

1. Singapore - this is hardly debatable : it's affluent, very green, safe (whether from crime or natural disasters), efficient on virtually all levels, etc.
2. Hong Kong
3. Beijing/Bangkok

OVERALL :

1. Singapore - my favorite city in the world...can't help it
2. Bangkok
3. Hong Kong
4. Beijing

though I love all of them!

Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,406,700 times
Singapore what can you say.

Singapore is nice for a weekend, check out the F1 circuit, maybe go in the big wheel, Orchard Road, Geylang, Sentosa (Beaches, Universal Studios) etc.
but longer than a couple days no thank you.
I find it to expensive and the nightlife very disappointing.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Skyline :

1. HK
2. Singapore
3. Bangkok/Beijing

Natural setting :

1. HK (incredible topography, 80% greenery, etc.)
2. Singapore (it's an island after all!)
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

Architecture :

1. Singapore - just look at the Marina Bay area - incredible modern architecture; or the Gateway by Pei; plus the various colonial/ethnic areas, the shophouses, etc.
2. Beijing
3. HK despite its modern skyline
4. Bangkok

Culture :

1. Beijing - due to its long, extremely significant history
2. Singapore - 4 cultures
3. Bangkok
4. Hong Kong - very poor in that area.

Entertainment :

Too different to rank. Beijing is about culture & history, HK about buzzing city life, Singapore has 4 cultures and is building itself a reputation for some of the finest gardens in the world (check the upcoming Gardens by the Bay), etc.
I love all 4 cities in that matter.

Friendliness :

1. Beijing, from chatty taxi drivers to friendly cops and whatever
2. Singapore, though very unequal
3. Bangkok
4. Hong Kong, often rude

Food :

1. Singapore, has everything
2. Hong Kong, delicious Cantonese cuisine; the entire world's food is also well represented
3. Bangkok
4. Beijing

I think you forgot to include the following :

Climate :

1. Bangkok
2. Singapore
3. Hong Kong
4. Beijing

Quality of life :

1. Singapore - this is hardly debatable : it's affluent, very green, safe (whether from crime or natural disasters), efficient on virtually all levels, etc.
2. Hong Kong
3. Beijing/Bangkok

OVERALL :

1. Singapore - my favorite city in the world...can't help it
2. Bangkok
3. Hong Kong
4. Beijing

though I love all of them!
Just because Beijing had an extremely long and significant history does not mean it has the best culture right now. Hong Kong, Bangkok, and Singapore seem to decisively win in culture over Beijing by quite a bit. Also similarly true for entertainment.

Singapore and Hong Kong have a very high quality of life for major cities in the world. Bangkok’s quality of life is maybe a bit lower but still high too. Beijing’s quality of life seems significantly lower compared to other 3, but Beijing is still not that bad.

For Architecture, Hong Kong, and Bangkok beat Singapore. All are good for architecture, but Singapore is most likely not 1st place out of these 4.

Recently, Bangkok seems to be getting a better skyline than Singapore with a rapidly growing and impressive skyline.

Beijing seems upstaged by so many different Chinese cities in skyline, and in plenty of other aspects too, which is a bit surprising since Beijing is one of the most heavily populated cities there, and the political capital in that country. This reminds me of how Washington DC is upstaged by quite a few American cities in plenty of ways.

I view Architecture and Skyline as separate categories since Architecture is about so much more than just skyline.

Skyline can be such a small aspect in architecture, even if it is one of plenty different factors that can be important.

For food scene, I think Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Singapore are tied for 1st place with Beijing in somewhat distant last place. Bangkok/Hong Kong/and Singapore have very original foods from there, and with other foods from all over the world also being well represented there too.

If Singapore is one of your top favorite cities in the world, it is great to see different perspective for people’s favorite places and cities.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-28-2012 at 05:20 AM..

Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Just because Beijing had an extremely long and significant history does not mean it has the best culture right now. Hong Kong, Bangkok, and Singapore seem to decisively win in culture over Beijing by quite a bit. Also similarly true for entertainment.

Singapore and Hong Kong have a very high quality of life for major cities in the world. Bangkok’s quality of life is maybe a bit lower but still high too. Beijing’s quality of life seems significantly lower compared to other 3, but Beijing is still not that bad.

For Architecture, Hong Kong, and Bangkok beat Singapore. All are good for architecture, but Singapore is most likely not 1st place out of these 4.

Recently, Bangkok seems to be getting a better skyline than Singapore with a rapidly growing and impressive skyline.

Beijing seems upstaged by so many different Chinese cities in skyline, and in plenty of other aspects too, which is a bit surprising since Beijing is one of the most heavily populated cities there, and the political capital in that country. This reminds me of how Washington DC is upstaged by quite a few American cities in plenty of ways.

I view Architecture and Skyline as separate categories since Architecture is about so much more than just skyline.

Skyline can be such a small aspect in architecture, even if it is one of plenty different factors that can be important.

For food scene, I think Bangkok, Hong Kong, and Singapore are tied for 1st place with Beijing in somewhat distant last place. Bangkok/Hong Kong/and Singapore have very original foods from there, and with other foods from all over the world also being well represented there too.

If Singapore is one of your top favorite cities in the world, it is great to see different perspective for people’s favorite places and cities.
Architecture is subjective. If you like skyscrapers, Hong Kong is hard to beat, if you like older architecture, Beijing or Bangkok. Singapore has some handsome colonial buildings like the Raffles Hotel, as well as a myriad of different architectural styles from Chinese temples, pagodas, Indian temples, and Malay houses.

Beijing's skyline isn't actually that bad. Have you actually been?

Bangkok's quality of life might be high compared to Phnom Penh, but it's still nothing like Singapore or Hong Kong. I would assume Beijing's would be similar.

For food Beijing actually has a myriad of street food, but if you don't like Chinese food, the options here are limited. Though in recent years there's a lot more Western places/fast food joints all around the city. For me, Singapore wins hands down for sheer diversity, with Bangkok second and Hong Kong third.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Architecture is subjective. If you like skyscrapers, Hong Kong is hard to beat, if you like older architecture, Beijing or Bangkok. Singapore has some handsome colonial buildings like the Raffles Hotel, as well as a myriad of different architectural styles from Chinese temples, pagodas, Indian temples, and Malay houses.

Beijing's skyline isn't actually that bad. Have you actually been?

Bangkok's quality of life might be high compared to Phnom Penh, but it's still nothing like Singapore or Hong Kong. I would assume Beijing's would be similar.

For food Beijing actually has a myriad of street food, but if you don't like Chinese food, the options here are limited. Though in recent years there's a lot more Western places/fast food joints all around the city. For me, Singapore wins hands down for sheer diversity, with Bangkok second and Hong Kong third.
I am a fan of all types of architecture styles, as long as it has character and nice enough appearance, including general modern and historic, and varying density levels for the architecture.

Hong Kong has some of the best modern high-rise architecture in the world, with plenty of it making it seem that modern architecture style can be just as great as historic and being able to have just as much character and intrigue. And Hong Kong is in the top 4 for best skyline in the world, which is another different aspect of architecture.

Despite that, Hong Kong does have much less in the historic architecture department, but it seems to have at least some good high quality stuff for that too scattered around, even if there is much less of that compared to modern high-rise architecture.

Bangkok and Beijing indeed have much more historic architecture than Hong Kong and do beat Hong Kong in that aspect of architecture.

Bangkok has plenty of modern high-rise architecture too that is rapidly expanding. I read somewhere it is in the top 5 cities in the world for number of modern high-rises currently under construction. So I enjoy that Bangkok has diversity in architecture in that way with a pleasant blend of general historic and modern architecture styles with varying density levels.

That is good to see that Singapore does not lack in architecture, and has some good stuff for that too, even if it may not be as much as the other 2 or 3 cities.

Bangkok does probably have a lower quality of life compared to Hong Kong and Singapore, but I think the quality of life is still high even if it may not be super high. Beijing seems to be distantly in last place out of the 4 for this, with moderate quality of life.

I like Chinese food, but much more the Southern/Cantonese Chinese style of foods with more exciting, and varied foods. I assume Beijing at least still has plenty of that, even with the more Northern Chinese foods getting in the way.

That is true Beijing does not have much food variety such as having other Asian cuisines, especially compared to plenty of other Asian cities, but at least it is recently expanding with food variety.

Bangkok, Singapore, and Hong Kong are the clear winners compared to Beijing for food scene too with much more variety in the food scene.

In most categories, those 3 cities are the winners over Beijing.

My overall rank for these 4 cities from most favorite to least favorite: Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore, Beijing.

Hong Kong seems to make my top 5 favorite cities in the world (With Paris, London, New York City, Shanghai), Bangkok somewhere in the top 6 to top 15 (Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver, San Francisco, Tokyo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Amsterdam) are some other cities that make that rank category for me. Singapore is somewhere in the top 15 to top 35. Beijing probably below 60th place.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-29-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or