U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM

255 posts, read 233,161 times
Default Traffic? Hong Kong vs. Los Angeles?

Los Angeles is undoubtedly the worst in terms of traffic congestion in the United States. Yet in IBM's studies, it is worse than New York but preferable to Beijing and Mexico city.

Now I wonder how the traffic in Hong Kong is compared to Los Angeles. Having been in both, I get the feeling that Los Angeles congestion is certainly more widespread. However, it is slower to drive in Hong Kong because:

1. Hong Kong's roads are winding and indirect (due to mountainous terrain), whereas Los Angeles, built in a flat basin, has straight and direct roads.
2. Hong Kong's speed limits are much lower (on a highway, the speed limit in HK is 80kph/50mph whereas in LA, they are 105kph/65mph).
3. In Hong Kong, people actually follow the speed limit. In Los Angeles, everyone speeds, and even when the speed limit is 105 kph/65 mph, the speed is more like 120kph/75mph. So, people in Los Angeles drive 40kph/25mph faster on the freeway than Hong Kongers!
4. Angelenos probably speed because they need to compensate for the copious amounts of time lost in congestion, whereas drivers in Hong Kong deal with less traffic delay.

The vast majority of Hong Kongers don't drive anyways due to development being centred on the MTR, whereas LA is very autocentric, with barely a public transport system.

Also, no one wants to drive in Hong Kong when there is barely any parking (and when there is, it is never free) and petrol costs $8.33 USD/gallon. In LA, petrol is already the most expensive in the U.S. but costs only $4.41 USD/gallon.

So, what do you think? Keep in mind that I am saying congestion (the ratio between rush hour and off-peak hour speed) is worse in LA, whereas the off-peak hour speed is worse in Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 AM

334 posts, read 1,128,740 times
Hong Kong has decent public transportation. It is also extremely dense reducing the need for cars. LA public transportation is a joke and LA is very spread out.

Also many areas in the US have worse traffic than LA including Atlanta, Washington DC, and Miami.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:03 AM

14,345 posts, read 7,840,592 times
Air quality in both is horrible

Old 04-06-2012, 02:52 AM

320 posts, read 389,867 times
Never been to LA but have to say when I was in Hong Kong the traffic didn't seem that bad at all. Although that was in 2004, maybe it's got a lot worse since then: but to me, it seemed the antithesis of a city like LA: with a very highly developed and integrated public transport system. We zoomed about on the MTR, PLBs and ferries and I have got to say I've never been anywhere with such excellent, clean and affordable mass transit. Nearly everyone seemed to use the system so consequently there wasn't much traffic on the roads either.

LA seems the opposite: a totally car-dependant, gridlocked hellhole where public transport coverage is patchy. It seems to me to be unsuited to the 21st century, in an era of expensive oil and the need to cut carbon emissions. The future of cities is back to the European/Asian high-density, pedestrian/public transport-friendly model of the c19th: even the silly UAE seems to finally be waking up to this fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masdar_City

The American cities which will thrive in the future will be the ones that have retained their density and liveability (New York, San Fran). In the very long term, cities like LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas will have to either be seriously remodelled or abandoned.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM

218 posts, read 304,678 times
I can get to places easily in HK than I will ever be in LA.
I never had a problem transporting from HK airport to the hotel, unlike LA.
Not to mention, LAX is a terrible airport.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
I can get to places easily in HK than I will ever be in LA.
I never had a problem transporting from HK airport to the hotel, unlike LA.
Not to mention, LAX is a terrible airport.
Agreed

Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Air quality in both is horrible
Worse in Hong Kong in terms of PM 2.5 emissions. LA has a value of maybe 16 micogrammes/cubic metre, while Hong Kong, twice as much.

If you're in Asia, then I suppose Singapore has the best air quality and traffic flow.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
Never been to LA but have to say when I was in Hong Kong the traffic didn't seem that bad at all. Although that was in 2004, maybe it's got a lot worse since then: but to me, it seemed the antithesis of a city like LA: with a very highly developed and integrated public transport system. We zoomed about on the MTR, PLBs and ferries and I have got to say I've never been anywhere with such excellent, clean and affordable mass transit. Nearly everyone seemed to use the system so consequently there wasn't much traffic on the roads either.

LA seems the opposite: a totally car-dependant, gridlocked hellhole where public transport coverage is patchy. It seems to me to be unsuited to the 21st century, in an era of expensive oil and the need to cut carbon emissions. The future of cities is back to the European/Asian high-density, pedestrian/public transport-friendly model of the c19th: even the silly UAE seems to finally be waking up to this fact:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masdar_City

The American cities which will thrive in the future will be the ones that have retained their density and liveability (New York, San Fran). In the very long term, cities like LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas will have to either be seriously remodelled or abandoned.
I enjoyed Tseung Kwan O. That place had a phenomenal connection to the MTR that was just as strong as Los Angeles' connection to freeways. Pedestrian bridges everywhere lead to the MTR station; you could walk through the whole town without crossing a street. I even lived in Metrotown, DIRECTLY ABOVE the Tiu Keng Leng Station! And realize that this is just the suburbs.

If only the Inland Empire could be a Manhattan-like utopia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia