U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM

213 posts, read 723,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Which cities in Asia (exc. Middle East) do you feel have a culture that is significantly Western/is heavily influenced by colonial culture or globalization? ...

...Third would be Kolkata or Calcutta, the heart of the rule of the British Raj, and the largest city in the Bengal region. Many handsome buildings, and cricket is extremely popular here, as it is in India. Not to say it's not thoroughly Indian and Bengali, but of all the Indian cities the British legacy remains strongest here.
I am not sure if Kolkata should be on the list.

Your thread title talks about "western culture" and I would definitely disagree with any assertion that Kolkata is heavy on the western culture.

Your actual post itself expands it to "colonial culture" followed by a "strong British legacy". Agree with the latter but not the former (not sure what "colonial culture" means).

While you would see a lot of British influence in West Bengal, or for that matter, with rest of India, as far as administration, education etc. is concerned, it is pretty much limited to that. Western culture has penetrated India, but not pervaded it yet.

Infact, all your points in favor of Kolata can be applied on New Delhi too, and would infact make more sense there. Delhi is choc-a-bloc with buildings from the British era. Cricket is a religion in New Delhi, unlike in Kolkata where it shares the throne with soccer. Also Kolkata happened to be the epicenter of British Rule in the beginning but later on, it was shifted to Delhi, which also is the capital of modern India.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,327,023 times
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Kuala Lumpur
Macau

Old 06-08-2012, 05:37 AM

2 posts, read 17,118 times
Maybe all cities in the Philippines specially Cebu, Manila, Vigan and Zamboanga except the Islam dominated one. To be colonized by Spain for 333 years(1565-1898) and US by 48 years(1898-1946), native Malay culture and Spanish culture had blended since Spanish occupation and American influence later.
Language: Philippines has a language called "Chavacano", a spanish creole language spoken by more than 3 million people, with majority of them in Zamboanga City also called the "Latin City of Asia". Tagalog or Filipino, the Philippine national language has 20-33% spanish words, while Visayan languages(Cebuano, Hiligaynon) has 30-40% of its words are of Spanish. And Almost all Filipinos speak English, influenced by the Americans.
Food:Filipinos cook a variety of foods influenced by Western and Asian cuisine, like adobo, afritada, chorizo, empanada, and many more. Like Americans, Filipino also love hotdogs, hamburger, pizzas...
Customs:With majority of its population are Christians almost 80% of its 95 million population, Christianity has influenced the customs and traditions of the Philippines. Filipinos at home set up altars in Hispanic tradition, adorned with Catholic icons, flowers, statues, and candles. On festival season, most barrios organised religious church service, and processions in honor of their patron saint, and cooked a variety of Filipino food.
List of Western Holidays celebrated by Filipinos that are uniquely not Asian:
1. Semana Santa (Holy Week)
2. Araw ng mga kaluluwa and Todos los Santos-All Soul's day and All Saint's day
3. Nochebuena (Good night or Christmas Eve)
4. Navidad or Pasko (Christmas)
Buidings: Intramuros is the "Walled city" of Manila where you can see Spanish influenced churces, schools, palace, and other old government buildings. Vigan is a World Heritage Site in that it is one of the few Hispanic towns left in the Philippines, and is well known for its cobblestone streets, and a unique architecture that fuses Philippine and Oriental building designs and construction, with colonial European architecture.
People:The majority of Filipinos are descendants from Austronesian people. Official percentage of Filipinos with Spanish ancestry is unknown but some estimates 3.5M to 5M but some other says it ranges from 17M to 35M Filipinos are of Spanish descent.

Philippine culture in general is Western and Latin American, with blend of some native Malay. Philippines is the true place where east and west culture meets. That makes this country the most westernized and unique nation in Asia. If you want to know more about the Western influence in the Philippines see Spanish influence on Filipino culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"It's More Fun in the Philippines"!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:15 AM

371 posts, read 841,022 times
I wouldn't consider Singapore "westernized"... Sure, they have taken the worst elements of our western culture and made them their own, but to call something "Westernized" it shouldn't just apply to corporate greed and unashamed consumerism, because judging by those values Dubai and Riyadh would also be in the top-10 of "westernized" cities in Asia.

To me, our Western Culture represents a history of liberalism and tolerance in our basic philosophy. I hold Erasmus, Montesquieu, Voltaire, Spinoza, Jefferson and Bentham much more central to contemporary Western thought than anything based on autocratic rule, blind following of "holy scriptures" or most things associated with Confucianism.

Based on this, I also think that the Phillipines are the most western in Asia, probably followed up by the northern suburbs of Tehran. Third would be the large cities in Siberia and the Russian far east. The Arabian peninsula, (with the possible exception of Oman and Bahrein) Singapore, China and any other place poisoned by wahhabism or confucianism are the furthest removed from the west in my opinion. The rest (India, most parts of rural Iran, rural Russia and Central Asia, Indonesia, most part of SE Asia) holds sort of middle ground. Tribal regions in central Asia and probably some parts of the Arabian Peninsula are not in the 21st century, nor even in the 20th, so I don't even bother to count those as "advanced cultures"...

Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 AM

98 posts, read 233,921 times
I agree with the above statements that the Philippines is the most westernized in Asia. Roman Catholicism ,a very western religion, runs extremely deep in the Philippines. Almost every city, town and barrio has a catholic church, usually the biggest building in their area. The Philippine legal and government system are based on Spanish and American systems. English is a second language and I understand that Spanish is being reintroduced slowly. The native languages have spanish and english words intertwined. It's also one of the most pro-American Asian country, if not the world. One of the most misunderstood and underestimated countries in the planet.

I could retire in that country and live in one of those high rises.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 AM

369 posts, read 799,502 times
I would determine those that are most culturally Westernised in terms of:

1. pop culture (degree of inflow of Western entertainment, how the individual dress up and carry themselves, etc)
2. language (how prevalent English is spoken)
3. how politically and socially liberal they are (freedom of speech and press, tolerance of homosexuals, how democratic and fair the elections are, etc)
4. state of economy (how advanced and open their economies are)

For 1 - Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong
2 - Singapore
3 - Tokyo and Seoul
4 - Hong Kong, Tokyo

Though each city has its fair share of Western influence and culture, Tokyo wins here.

The English you hear Singaporeans speak is Singlish which even not every English-speaking Westerners can understand. Besides, there is a significant proportion of Singaporeans who can't converse in proficient English because they tend to speak their own native language most of the time. So technically speaking, Singapore doesn't really qualify for #2.

On the other hand, while the Japanese are ferociously good at preserving their traditions, everything else is pretty much Westernised. Not to mention too that Tokyo is one of the most, if not the most, foreigner-friendly Asian cities.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
I wouldn't consider Singapore "westernized"... Sure, they have taken the worst elements of our western culture and made them their own, but to call something "Westernized" it shouldn't just apply to corporate greed and unashamed consumerism, because judging by those values Dubai and Riyadh would also be in the top-10 of "westernized" cities in Asia.

To me, our Western Culture represents a history of liberalism and tolerance in our basic philosophy. I hold Erasmus, Montesquieu, Voltaire, Spinoza, Jefferson and Bentham much more central to contemporary Western thought than anything based on autocratic rule, blind following of "holy scriptures" or most things associated with Confucianism.

Based on this, I also think that the Phillipines are the most western in Asia, probably followed up by the northern suburbs of Tehran. Third would be the large cities in Siberia and the Russian far east. The Arabian peninsula, (with the possible exception of Oman and Bahrein) Singapore, China and any other place poisoned by wahhabism or confucianism are the furthest removed from the west in my opinion. The rest (India, most parts of rural Iran, rural Russia and Central Asia, Indonesia, most part of SE Asia) holds sort of middle ground. Tribal regions in central Asia and probably some parts of the Arabian Peninsula are not in the 21st century, nor even in the 20th, so I don't even bother to count those as "advanced cultures"...
That may be somewhat true, but an increasingly number of Singaporeans basically live a very westernized lifestyle and have a more western way of thinking. Confucianism still permeates the thinking of the older generation, but trust me, the younger generation, influenced a lot by English-speaking pop culture, western education.etc are little different to the average American or British person. It does, however, tend to vary by their primary language: those who speak Mandarin, Chinese dialects, Malay or Tamil for that matter tend to be more traditional/eastern than those who speak English most of the time.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
I would determine those that are most culturally Westernised in terms of:

1. pop culture (degree of inflow of Western entertainment, how the individual dress up and carry themselves, etc)
2. language (how prevalent English is spoken)
3. how politically and socially liberal they are (freedom of speech and press, tolerance of homosexuals, how democratic and fair the elections are, etc)
4. state of economy (how advanced and open their economies are)

For 1 - Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong
2 - Singapore
3 - Tokyo and Seoul
4 - Hong Kong, Tokyo

Though each city has its fair share of Western influence and culture, Tokyo wins here.

The English you hear Singaporeans speak is Singlish which even not every English-speaking Westerners can understand. Besides, there is a significant proportion of Singaporeans who can't converse in proficient English because they tend to speak their own native language most of the time. So technically speaking, Singapore doesn't really qualify for #2.

On the other hand, while the Japanese are ferociously good at preserving their traditions, everything else is pretty much Westernised. Not to mention too that Tokyo is one of the most, if not the most, foreigner-friendly Asian cities.
Singlish is a continuum: from what is almost a patois-pidgeon, to basically just plain/standard English in a Singaporean accent, which is very distinct from other Asian accents (although very similar to the Malaysian accent). Most Singaporeans can converse in English, but I would say the percentage who are fluent is more like 40%. Despite this, the prevalence of English is probably higher in Singapore than anywhere outside the English-speaking world, or somewhere like Sweden.

So as to your second measure, Singapore is clearly no. 1 because no other city comes close in terms of speaking English. Second would be Kuala Lumpur, where about a quarter of people speak English as a first language, after that the other Asian cities are well behind. If you go to Singapore, you will hear people speaking English everywhere.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,578,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
Manila, Philippines

Religion itself, it is the largest Christian country in the Asia by far.
A very liberated city altho a very religious country, inspired by American culture. The red light district, lines of bars & clubs, huge shopping malls & plenty of restaurants, fastfoods & hotels. In contrast to these modern structures from capitalism, Manila has old colonial Spanish structures such as the Manila Cathedral and the Intramuros.
I heard some Filipinos joke about their country being a US territory. Due to their country's strong loyalty to the US. And many many products imported from the US.
Good you brought up Manila. Anyway no serious discussion of this topic can be complete without bringing in Manila (or nearly any Filipino city for the matter) due to the four centuries of Western (first Spanish and then American) rule...

Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Great Britain occupies Manila, Philippines between September 24 - October 6, 1762
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Manila_(1762)

In Escolta, Manila where mostly European store owner located
during the spanish and american era.

Some of Philippine Architecture
Based from Historical aside from English is one of the official language in Philippines

a lot of western food chains and shopping malls.

Cultural Dance & National Dress

Last edited by pinai; 07-10-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or