U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,447,074 times

Advertisements

Astana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is Astana - YouTube

The world's newest capital city (established in 1998), Astana is an interesting city. A collection of Vegas-like, space-age buildings, it is a bit like the Dubai of Central Asia. I wonder if Kazakhstan is seeing an economic boom, after a decade of recovering from Soviet rule.

What do you think of Astana and cities like it? Do you see them as soulless, lacking in history, or exciting monuments to what cities and life will be like in the future? Would it be a place you'd like to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM

15,052 posts, read 13,655,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

This is Astana - YouTube

The world's newest capital city (established in 1998), Astana is an interesting city. A collection of Vegas-like, space-age buildings, it is a bit like the Dubai of Central Asia. I wonder if Kazakhstan is seeing an economic boom, after a decade of recovering from Soviet rule.

What do you think of Astana and cities like it? Do you see them as soulless, lacking in history, or exciting monuments to what cities and life will be like in the future? Would it be a place you'd like to check out?
Sorry Trimac, but Kazakhstan is not "recovering" from Soviet rule.
Everything it has got today it has got THANKS to Soviet rule, because EVERYTHING ( meaning their whole infrastructure) was built during Soviet times by Russians. Without it it would have been still another third world country, where local population wouldn't even have any written language. ( That was the case with Kazakhs - they were originally nomads with no written language.)
Kazakhstan got lucky that it has a lot of natural resources, so when the Soviet Union broke apart, its oil industry has been already established from Soviet times, so Kazakhstan became a mecca for foreign investments that are coming apparently from both East and West. If not for natural resources, Kazakhstan would have turned again into insignificant third world country - same fate that befall Uzbekistan or Tajikistan after collapse of the Soviet Union.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,261,951 times
All you have to do is watch Borat to understand it.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,447,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
All you have to do is watch Borat to understand it.
qOh yeah Borat was pretty much a documentary. So accurate!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:57 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,164,646 times
The North of Kazakhstan (the former name of Astana is Tselinograd, a Russian name) has (I wonder if it's still the case though) a majority Russian population. In 1991-92 (independence of Kazakhstan), the regional border should have been modified so as to include the North of Kazakhstan into the Federation of Russia. I think what happened there under the pressure of the Western powers and with an alcoholic Russian president tnat wanted to get rid fast of the Soviet Union without thinking ahead, is a SHAME.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 PM

10,433 posts, read 12,439,655 times
Love their national anthem...

Kazakhstan greatest country in the world all other countrys are run by little girls.
Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium!
Other countries have inferior potassium.
Kazakhstan home of the tinshein swimming pool it's length thirty metre ans width six metre.
Filtration system a marvel to behold it removes 80 percent of human solid waste.
Kazakhstan,Kazakhstan, you very nice place, from plains of tarashenk to northern fence of jewtown.
Kazakhstan, friend of all except Uzbekistan, they very nosey people withe bone in theire brain.
Kazakhstan, industry best in the world, we invented toffee and the trouser belt.
Kazakhstan, prostitutes cleanest in the region, except of course for Turkmenistan's.
Kazakhstan,Kazakhstan, you very nice place, from plains of tarashenk to northern fence of jewtown.
Come grasp the mighty phenis of our leader, from juction with testes to tip of its face.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The North of Kazakhstan (the former name of Astana is Tselinograd, a Russian name) has (I wonder if it's still the case though) a majority Russian population. In 1991-92 (independence of Kazakhstan), the regional border should have been modified so as to include the North of Kazakhstan into the Federation of Russia. I think what happened there under the pressure of the Western powers and with an alcoholic Russian president tnat wanted to get rid fast of the Soviet Union without thinking ahead, is a SHAME.
Tselinograd? Astana is former TSELINOGRAD?! For real? Bwa-ha haaa)) I didn't know that))))
Then it's former Russian city Akmolinsk, that has been founded in Russian empire back in.. 1820 or 1830 I believe.

As for "alcoholic Russian president" - he was not acting alone, you know; - he had a team of splendid American advisers sitting in Kremlin, who knew well what they were doing.
Some Russian economists were pointing out to Yeltzin that the break-up of the Soviet Union was going to be a disaster from economic point of view, but to no avail.
It's all history now of course, but I strongly believe that it's one of the major reasons why 20-something years down the line, after the fall of Soviet Empire it's the turn of American Empire to fall.
I don't believe in "just a recession" thing; call it the age of falling empires, second coming of Christ - whatever, but this world wasn't meant to be uni-polar.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM

PS. That "Astana" has long history indeed...

"A unit of Siberian cossacks from Omsk founded a huge fortress on the upper Ishim in 1824, which later became the town of "Akmolinsk". During the early 20th century, the town became a major railway junction, causing a major economic boom that lasted until the Russian Civil War.
Kazakhstan hosted in the Stalinist era a series of Gulag-like labour camps, in total 11 camps that housed up to hundreds of thousands of internees and their families. Outside Astana, there once stood the ALZHIR camp, a Russian acronym for the Akmolinskii Camp for Wives of Traitors of the Motherland, one of the most notorious in the Gulag archipelago, which was reserved for the spouses of those considered "enemies of the people" by the government under Joseph Stalin.[5]
In 1961, it was renamed "Tselinograd" ("Virgin Lands City"[6]) and made capital of the Soviet Virgin Lands Territory (Tselinny Krai). The city was at the centre of the Virgin Lands Campaign led by Nikita Khrushchev in the 1950s, in order to turn the state into a second grain producer for the Soviet Union. The high portion of Russian immigrants in this area, which later led to ethnic tension[citation needed], can be traced to the influx of agricultural workers at this time. Additionally, many Russian-Germans were resettled here after being deported under Joseph Stalin at the beginning of World War II, when Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union."

( And these are some images of the city coming from the early 1800ies to Soviet times...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsTOMQwTezk

Old 05-04-2012, 05:36 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,164,646 times
As for "alcoholic Russian president" - he was not acting alone, you know; - he had a team of splendid American advisers sitting in Kremlin, who knew well what they were doing.
Some Russian economists were pointing out to Yeltzin that the break-up of the Soviet Union was going to be a disaster from economic point of view, but to no avail.
It's all history now of course, but I strongly believe that it's one of the major reasons why 20-something years down the line, after the fall of Soviet Empire it's the turn of American Empire to fall.
I don't believe in "just a recession" thing; call it the age of falling empires, second coming of Christ - whatever, but this world wasn't meant to be uni-polar.

Don't ride your high horse my friend, since I think exactly the same as you do!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

Don't ride your high horse my friend, since I think exactly the same as you do!
I never said that my "high horse" was big enough only for me, so you are more than welcome to join me for a ride.
( However before you jump in that saddle, tell me what do you think about Europe; where do European countries fit in the scheme of things?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or